Fastest/most productive splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logjam

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
O.K.
Lot's of info on splitters. But would like to know which one is the fastest in productivity. I have held off on buying one do to the fact that I can split so much faster with a maul than using a log splitter. Checked out the timber wolf splitters, but are expensive. Some vert/horiz. combo's won't allow for multiple blades for splitting.
Any ideas or sites I can visit?
I split would for the exercise but also sell it. I cut and split 25 to 30 cords a year

Fastest splitter i've ever seen is an inertia type. They have a big flywheel connecting to a ram. They are fast, very fast. But also very dangerous when you get a popper on them, they really fly apart. Other than that its prolly the grid splitters in firewood processing machines IMO.

gfx super splitter

the gfx super splitter is the fastest splitter i have used you can split wood as fast as you can safely put it on the table you just have to watch out for flying sticks once in awhile

I think you should get one of those northern ones with the 4-way and anything too big and gnarly I'll come pickup and split with mine:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
J.D.

i'm building one with a 4 inch ram and a two stage pump.
10/40 gpm with a 25 horse engine.

should be reasonably quick.

Log jam,

You asked about log splitter sites ,here is a short list of brands.
Huskee ,MTD ,Troybuilt ,Speeco ,Wallenstein ,Iron and Oak ,Super-split ,Northstar by Northern Tool ,Brave ,Timber Devil ,Timberwolf ,
Swisher ,Super Axe.

This list will gave an idea of the different styles of splitters. The style I found the most efficient in actual use is the Timber Devil vertical type.

what is the hurry?

yep, a maul is indeed fast if the operator is capable. Since I am not "capable", I prefer to use a splitter. Even a slow one. I cut about 50 cords a year, and sell 2/3 of it. If the splitter is capable of about 1 cd an hour, then that is fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, I know what is going on here! It is a "guy" thing :hmm3grin2orange: The fastest saw, the fastest splitter, the biggest pickup, the sharpest chain, and so forth.

I would love to play with a inertia splitter! That would be a blast! Even useful as up here hydraulic's don't flow so good when really cold.

-Pat

Unless you have lots of help, a commercial splitter will not gain you much production. I have one, and require at least 3 good men and conveyor or loader bucket to let it run all out. If you do have the help, they are the only way to go. We can produce a face cord of fireplace sized wood in less than 10 minutes. Mine is a Split-Fire, I've never seen a Timberwolf in use, certain they're very good as well. A maul is nice, but will not keep up with a splitter of this caliber.

Does anyone know the cycle rate of the Huskee 22 ton with the 6.5 Briggs? I know its the fastest I have ever used and dont think I would want one much faster.

Also how is the cycle rate measured if you dont mind. Still learning on the board.

Thanks
Shipper:biggrinbounce2:

Speed of Huskee

Shipper50

My definition of cycle time would be the elapsed time from start of the split cycle to the return of the cylinder.

I would expect the Huskee to have a cycle time of about 25 seconds with that motor. The commercial splitters have a cycle time of about 6-7 seconds. I can't speak of other brands but my Iron and Oak splitter gets alot of that reduced cycle time by speeding up the return stroke. This gives you a relatively quick splitting stroke followed by a very fast return stroke. The cylinder rod is much larger than my less expensive splitter reducing the area of the cylinder for a very fast return stroke. Also my splitter has a detent valve both directions. Once the split is started I don't have to hold the valve to split. This allows me to get another piece of wood to split while the splitter splits and returns.

As stated above to really get the most out of the commercial splitter requires more than 1 person. However even with one person the splitting rate is much faster than a slower splitter.

Shipper50,

The Huskee 22 has a 11 gpm pump with a 4 " bore and 24 " stroke the cycle time will be 14 seconds when free running. When in actual use cycle times may increase greatly due to the two-stage pump down shifting.

O.K.
I have held off on buying one do to the fact that I can split so much faster with a maul than using a log splitter.

You must have easier slpitting woods there.There's no way I can split an elm or narly cottonwood quicker with a maul. I too split 20 to 30 cords a year and I bought a Husky about 5 years ago. There's a few things I have yet to improve on but it's tough.

Mike

You must have easier slpitting woods there.There's no way I can split an elm or narly cottonwood quicker with a maul. I too split 20 to 30 cords a year and I bought a Husky about 5 years ago. There's a few things I have yet to improve on but it's tough.

Mike

Does anyone else find the Huskee with the 6.5 Briggs a gas hog? I don't think I can run more than a face cord through mine without gassing back up.

Thanks to the others on the cycle times. I find mine is fast enough for me.

Shipper

Mike

Mike,
I split red, and white oak predominately. Maybe some maple for burning myself. Splits fast! Especially in the winter

I think you should get one of those northern ones with the 4-way and anything too big and gnarly I'll come pickup and split with mine:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
J.D.

Your "ON" J.D.

I gotta get a splitter to keep up with my saws.

Then I think it's a 7900

Don't tell Boyd. :hmm3grin2orange:

Log jam,

You asked about log splitter sites ,here is a short list of brands.
Huskee ,MTD ,Troybuilt ,Speeco ,Wallenstein ,Iron and Oak ,Super-split ,Northstar by Northern Tool ,Brave ,Timber Devil ,Timberwolf ,
Swisher ,Super Axe.

This list will gave an idea of the different styles of splitters. The style I found the most efficient in actual use is the Timber Devil vertical type.

Thanks Triptester, I'll check some of these out

has anyone ever heard of American Splitters?I have two and would not use anything else.My old one was new in 1977 and with a few updates ,(motor ) still performs flawless .The new one is a AM30HH with log lift and with 2 good men will produce 10 face cord Average hardwood in 2.5 hours .I'm not bragging but this is minimum production i expect! Time is money and I don't have much of either!

Does anyone else find the Huskee with the 6.5 Briggs a gas hog? I don't think I can run more than a face cord through mine without gassing back up.

Mine isn't that bad. When I fill it I keep pouring it in (slowly) even when it first appears full and it will keep taking a little more gas ( maybe another cup or two). I get quite a bit of time on mine before refilling with the briggs motor. I usually let it run wide open as well unless I'm splitting smaller stuff when I slow the engine down some. I have never measured it by the face cord since I split and then haul my small wagon to break up the monoteny.

i'm building one with a 4 inch ram and a two stage pump.
10/40 gpm with a 25 horse engine.

should be reasonably quick.

If you have that much GPM then by all means go with a 5" cylinder with the largest rod diameter available and an autocycle valve. Throw a log on, push the levers on the valve and then go get another log while the splitter does its thing.
Finnbear

Back