Fastest saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may be to generic of a questiion , or may start a war , but for equal displacement, off the self, or out of a box.which brands or brands have the edge. same chain, or chain the saw came with.

Although I like Shindaiwa products, in the 4.5 cube area I have to give the Husky 372 the winners flag. A friend has one and this saw flat out hauls. It also has the torque to keep the chain spinning in nose buried cuts. In the 5.0 cube area I would give the Stihl 066 the win. But recent threads may have the Husky 385 and Dolmar 7900 right up there too!

Fast .saws

Well this will bring smiles to some people 1st. Buick 2nd Buick 3rd Buick 4th Ford 5th Toyota 6th Harley- Davidson have fun guys v6 Bill

v6bill is mostly right, but the Rotax will beat the Harley saws and most of the 4 cyl's. So make it the 6th fastest saw out there.

Stihl/Dolmar shootout

AND THE SURVEY SAYS ??????

Steve here... Hey Seth nice Dolmar...Guess I'll have to get that 066 broke in good by spring time.. You guy's did say stock appearing right..
Steve

Last edited:
Rich,

HomeDepot rents the Makita saw that is the same model as the 7900. Rent one for a heavy day of cutting then take it back and tell them it didn't run well....... Free Trial. The Dolmar and Makita have a very modern look to them.

GeorgeW

My vote in the 50cc class is the SOLO 651. I love mine. Cuts and runs much better than the 026PRO with the fixed jets. For comfort and convenience, I'd give a slight edge to the Stihl however, since the 651 has a conventional chain tensioner behind the bar. The 651 does have an inboard clutch, and a primer bulb, so it's only a slight edge to the Stihl.

In the 70cc class, I'd go 372XP Husqvarna

In the 80cc class, have to say Dolmar PS-7900

I'm surprised at the number of Solo's and Dolmars in this thread. I didn't know they were so popular.

I don't know if the 026 is the fastest in the 50cc class, but I like it because of it's smooth handling and light weight. I'd say the 372 XP dominates the 70cc class, but stihl dominates everything over 90cc with thier 066 and 088. (I'm talking stock saws).

Solo and Dolmar have competetive saws in some classes, but they lack the dealer support and availability of the big two. Imagine how popular certain models might be if one could readily get them, at competetive prices, and with widespread parts and service support. Myself, I like to go out of my way to find something that's a little different, but others may like and need a dealer nearby.

TonyM,

There is a lot of truth to the buying something different thing. I have a lot of people buy Jonsered or Efco just because its different than what most others have. I have had people say " I want the fastest red saw you have" I wanna beat my buddy's Stihl or Husky. Of course, we know that this is not always possible, but these 2159s, 2171s and 2186s are making a good showing.

Amen TonyM!

That Solo 651Pro flat out flies. Mine seems to be getting faster as it breaks in.

Also like:

372XP
046MAG
Solo 690
Solo 694

Originally posted by GeorgeWLogger
Rich,

HomeDepot rents the Makita saw that is the same model as the 7900. Rent one for a heavy day of cutting then take it back and tell them it didn't run well....... Free Trial. The Dolmar and Makita have a very modern look to them.

GeorgeW

True that Home Depot rents the Makita, but it is the 64cc version of the family.

The PS7900 is 79cc and considerable more power for the same weight as the 64cc version. From the rental you will get the idea of the weight and balance but not the total feel for the power.

Terry

Latest posts

Back