Fastest saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew78

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Hey all,
just been lurkin in the shadows for a few months....

I am really looking forward to the answer on this one, so anyone who is enlightened pls feel free to comment if you want. I would assume that there are others out there who think about this stuff, but are not really sure how it applies to the deuce strokers.

Drew

Drew78

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Russ-

Yeah work has been really busy, we got 2 new lab pups, fiance started a new job that has turned out to be a total pain in the a$$(the job, not her), and of course the wedding. Other than that I have just been trying to dig out from under the snow we have gotten in the last week and sleep....

drew

Dennis

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Russ, if I recall correctly, the 2149 factory specs are 13500rpm, and what we were trying to establish, is whether or not the 346 was using 14700 as a marketing tool only. I will recheck my notes as I have rpms "in the cut" before and after mods as well, but I do recall after mods, the rpms in the cut were significantly higher than stock (and why wouldn't they be after all its a modded saw). I should also add that on these two particular saws, I don't beleive they have full woods mods (meaning I didn't know as much as I do now)..but once again...I will have to consult my book.

Now I am not saying that you should run your 346's at 13500...we just found (under our circumstances, with this wood) that you could push harder on the saw when making this type of cut, thereby making a faster cut.

What we did come to the conclusion of, is that closed ports are better than open, and I am firm believer.

Jacob J.
Dennis- your research is sound to me. The Husky 242 ( or was it the 246?? ) was marketed under the same guidelines and almost always performed better when ported and tuned down to 13,5.

Russ- one thing to remember- When a builder raises the ports in a cylinder, and lowers the overall cylinder to increase compression, yes, they are raising the powerband, that is the RPM range in which the powerband operates best, but they're also narrowing the same powerband. You can get away more rpms because you're increasing the amount of fuel and oil reaching the compression band before compression, but higher top RPMS don't necessarily mean faster cutting in a working saw- because when you raise the power band you raise and change the duration of the torque band also- when putting the saw under a load, the torque band is eventually what determines how fast you cut overall, in a working saw.

I'm currently running a highly modified Stihl 440 in the woods- I've raised the peak RPM to 14,500- the sweet spot is still 9,000 rpm- regardless of where the peak RPM range is. 9,000 is where the powerband has kicked in and I'm getting maximum bang for each stroke. The saw has been highly, highly ported- including the piston, the crown of the piston was shaved and shaped with a small dome- the cylinder lowered to increase compression.

From what I've witnessed, a race saw is basically brute force- A machine pushed to the absolute max because the cutting duration is only a few seconds. A working saw relies on the finess of the design- efficiency + a good powerband = best overall cutting.

When power porting a stock saw, a builder is merely enhancing the basic design. It's only when you get into adding transfer ports, making custom pistons, making custom cranks- then you're redesigning the saw.

Last edited: