Fate of the Leaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutsThroughKnots

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What should I do with this Maple? Leave it alone or take it down? It’s leaning in the direction of parked vehicles. Thanks for any suggestions.
G

Attachments

• 7FA6C5C9-A4A4-4030-BD7F-ADB166F13EE1.jpeg
    7FA6C5C9-A4A4-4030-BD7F-ADB166F13EE1.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Oh come on man. Give us a little more to go on...
Healthy tree, good canopy. About 40 feet high. ALL branches are on the side it’s leaning towards, left side in the photo. My thinking is the weight of those branches as the tree matures will eventually make my decision much easier. Don’t like cutting down live trees but not sure this one has a long and happy life ahead. Trunk is about 12”

Healthy tree, good canopy. About 40 feet high. ALL branches are on the side it’s leaning towards, left side in the photo. My thinking is the weight of those branches as the tree matures will eventually make my decision much easier. Don’t like cutting down live trees but not sure this one has a long and happy life ahead. Trunk is about 12”
I'd wait, maybe Mother Nature has plans of her own. If I had the equipment on hand why rush?

What should I do with this Maple? Leave it alone or take it down? It’s leaning in the direction of parked vehicles. Thanks for any suggestions.
G
If healthy could be fine for many years. On the other hand a strong storm could take it down still, and it could uproot. Had a lot of that happen last year in my area. Easy to deal with when the time comes. Move the cars and drop it. If removing it won't make area too sunny, etc. then I'd say get er done B4 it bites you.

All depends on what you need/want as the tree looks sound, other than the wounds on it from pruning.
I have a lot of wood already on the ground here(logs), lots already bucked up, and the woodshed filled for next yr and previously dead standing wood needing to be split to finish the back half of the woodshed side for 24/25 season, and a bunch of other projects, so if it isn't in the way and it won't be growing too large to remove it down the road, and it isn't a hazard(I have one of those that may be removed this summer if I don't remove the power line it could fall on), then they will be left alone.

I'd get on pruning the trees behind it as those branches will become problematic in the future and more difficult to work with, but you will need to look to where that pruning will cause the tree to grow.

No reason to take it down just because it's leaning unless it's in the way or having it's roots driven over. Any tree that grows on the edge of shade is gonna have most of the branch weight opposite the shade. Many trees live for decades or centuries like that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll leave it alone for now, will monitor. It’s not in the way or causing any problems. But my parking area is directly in its path if it falls and it would definitely hit one or more vehicles.

Back