Favorite Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mulback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, Wondering if you'd like to share favorite firewood s.
Here mine is
1) Almond Long lasting Very little smoke/ash
2) White oak Long Lasting bit more smoke
3) Mesquite Hot Hot but burns Quickly
4) Pinyon pine Good Firewood

Almost all that mesquite in the avatar picture is already used this season

White oak and black locust for overnight logs. Poplar for kindling. Hickory, ash, red oak and elm for everything else in between.

1. Hedge, a lot less cutting, splitting and stacking required to get the same amount of heat. 12 hours after loading I will still have good hot coals to start up another fire. Down fall is sparks and hard to split.
2. Honey Locust, splits nice, trees are not a bush type, has a thin bark that slips right off when splitting if left in the round stage for 6 months. Good long burns. I mostly cut the thorn less, but not scared off by the ones that have thorns.

I'll also burn Burr Oak, Black Walnut, Mulberry and Hackberry. Tried some Shag Bark Hickory once but it was a insect magnet and I'm still trying to get that mess under control.

Oak here. It is plentiful splits well and heats great.

If I had to pick one I'd say Oak but I also really like Hard Maple and Ash , they all split great and are easy to come by around here. I love Hickory but it's pretty rare to come by for free...and I wouldn't pay for firewood.

I also have a love/hate for Locust , Hedge and Mulberry as they make great heat but pop and throw sparks more than I like for an inside burner.

Ash, mainly because I still have some... Nice fires, usually split well, good enough coaling. After that would be oak, mulberry and some of the soft maples(red mainly). I hardly ever see any hedge, either locusts, or even much hickory, so maybe they would be favorites if I could find them.

Free is my favorite kind. I don't so much like soft woods, but I'll take any hardwood. I am a bit partial to Ash. It splits easy, is pretty dense, smells good when burning, leaves a pretty good coal bed, is low on ashes, and thanks to the friggin Emerald ash borers is readily available in my area.

I too, vote for free

That said when cutting through my piles of treelength, I look for black birch and white oak logs to set aside and process to feed my stove.

Take Care

1. Red Oak
2. White Oak
3. Hickory
4. Maple

I get all of the first two I want for free. The last two are quid pro quo

Most of the free wood I get is white oak and maple. Obviously the oak is better.

Hard to beat red oak if you have the patience for the proper drying time. Standing dead red oak is a boon for firewooders. I like white oak too but it tends to get hard, knotty and stringy...tough stuff even to cut let alone split.

I have a small stash of locust and shagbark...looking forward to seeing how it burns. 95% of what I have is either red or white oak...been lucky with the scrounges the past year+ .

Latest posts

Back