Favorite Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite bar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When my Great Uncle bought The McCulloch Mac 10-10 Automatic that is in my Signature, in 1968, It he bought an optional (at that time it was an option) Sprocket Nosed 16" Guide Bar for it. It is a Windsor. Dad had bought this Chain Saw from him in 1974. Since then we only had to replace the Sprocket Nose. In 40 years, this Chain Saw has cut many, many cord of wood with this Bar. This year alone, I've cut over 40 cord of wood, and this saw has cut the biggest part of that 40 cord. Bruce.

Yes, no doubt about that - but they cost roughly 2 !/2 time the Oregon ones here, and Oregon is perfectly OK......

On smaller saws, I prefere the Norwegian made Husky bars, as they are lighter than the comparable Oregons.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Good enough reason to go with the Stihl one, if you plan on replacing the tip at some point.......:)

I suspect the Stihl one has a weight advantage as well.

Last edited:
Well, owning both GB and Stihl solid bars, I have found that the nose tips do not function any different. The GB bars have grease holes and the Stihls don't. I use grease on all my bar sprockets and the holes makes it easier to apply. Grease makes things spin more better, and my sprockets last longer.

Here is a photo of my 361 wearing a GB 25 inch Pro Top bar. I had it cat scanned for quality after bending it in a big tree cut and bending it back into place. Works fine, and you cannot even tell where it was bent.

attachment.php

I have used GB they work just fine...But where do you grease the sprocket on the stihl?What's up with that?

I put a dab of grease on the tip and roll the sprocket around with the chain off the bar. The grease works its way into the sprocket and bearings. Not as easy as the grease hole provided by GB; 2 shots and it is good to go.

I put a dab of grease on the tip and roll the sprocket around with the chain off the bar. The grease works its way into the sprocket and bearings. Not as easy as the grease hole provided by GB; 2 shots and it is good to go.

I guess maybe.I don't have time for all of that:censored:

To each their own...

A dab of grease takes like all of 10 seconds to apply. I have also had bars delaminate on me at the sprocket (short laminated Stihl and Oregon bars), and since I started greasing them, they last longer. I read that Stihl has added grease holes at the tips now, and Oregon has done the same on some of their bars that I have replaced. :chainsaw:

I picked up a 24" Tsumura/Total Super bar and love it. I don't have enough use yet to see how it's going to wear. Next I like, GB Pro Tops or Ti's. My Stihl saws get Stihl bars.

Back