Favorite Saw of All Time ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright fellas, here is the question.

What is your favorite saw you ever had? This can be a brand new one you just bought, or a older one that was just so perfect in its balance, simplicity and power. What saw when you look back or foward makes you proud you had one?

For me the only real saw i ever had my 046, put a 18" bar on it and its like having Mike Tyson bottled up in plastic. That boy bites everything just like my saw.

I would have to say mine is a Jonsered Super 930, my dad gave me one when I was about 15? 16?....I have had it ever since...right now it sits on my shop floor with a 37" Sandvik Chrome bar on it...but it is next in line for a race saw...need two of them to beat Roberts double ended 088s...

Giddy up!!

whell my all time favorite saw is the homelite 360. i got it when i was 14 and that got me hooked on saws. my second favorite saw is a homelite sxl-925 it's got more guts than i could ever ask for in a saw.

I use the 032ave normally, but a Homelite Super XL-925 is my favorite. Great power, great looks, not too hard to work on, and light enough. Got mine in like-new shape at a yard sale with a mint Homelite 24" bar and unsharpened Stihl RS 3/8" chain.

Never used anything from Homelite's '70s sleek AV lineup. Can't say I'd warm up to a little saw like a 360--I'll have to find a cheap 750.

Stihl 038 AV Super.

It's as dependable as gravity and sounds so cool at wot!

???? it, confused you posted this thread too soon! I have not had enough time to work the Jonsered 670 to declare it my favorite saw of all time.
For now it has to be my old man's Super EZ automatic. Bar none the best 2.5 c.i. saw ever made. With a 16" bar and 3/8 full chisel, this is the saw that got me into this vortex of more cc's and power tuning and walkerizing and greffardizing and madsenizing and Dunnizing

The 372XP has got to be the best saw I've ever had. Will pull any bar I need it to with light weight to boot. With a 24" it's nearly perfect. Now for my favorite saw of all time, I had an OLD Remington (model unknown) with a bow guide and .404 chain that finally wore out a few years ago. I got it from a pulpwooder in Florida. That thing worked great for bucking and felling pines. Wasn't a speed demon, just a joy to use.

Hey,
My favorite saw has to be a Stihl 044 with a 16 inch bar and Stihl RS chain........ but will pull a 32 bar and chain just fine. Cuts through anything like butter with not a whole lotta weight to it....:blob2:

I'd have to say my favorite saw is my 041FB (no A/V). I've had it since I was 13, stihl runs like a top. Second is my DO-100 Disston cause it scares the hell out off my neighbor.

My favorite is usually whichever one I have in my hands at the time, unless its one of my old McCullochs...I never have liked them.

My wife would ask me why I have so many in the barn, then. Silly woman, just doesn't understand...even after I bought her a new saw last fall, so she would get off my back about buying ME a saw or 10.

We are getting dug out from under Christmas bills, and work is picking up again. She blew a gasket at me tonight for just looking at a 2002 Efco sales flyer.

Has to be my 026. Better balace of power/weight than any of my other saws. The 064 is my most powerful saw but I don't think I could run it all day long like I can the 026. Plus the 026 was my first, you never forget your first.

Lol,

Best use for an 026 is as a boat anchor.

No really, they are OK, just my least favorite Stihl. When my last one died, we switched to 036's. A reasonable size to switch to, in less than monster trees, when the climbing saw is sent down.

My next saw in that size range will be a modified Husky 346, for sure, since you can't get a Solo 651 cheap, or find dealer support.

Hard to say about favorites, as saws keep getting faster and lighter. (From a guy who never got to run such classics as the Homelite 2100 or Stihl 090)

The Homelite 123 Super was a great saw, in the size of the Super XL but much better. The super EZ Auto was a great climbing saw, but fraught with typical Homelite inconsistensies. Later, I loved my Stihl 045 Super . Next,
I had the first ultra light 3.5 hp saw, the Jonsy 520SP, the oddball saw that had a block between the crankcase and cylinder. I still have a Jonsy 920 Super, that needs a bit of work. I haven't used it in 9 years, since I got a Husky 2100, and Stihl 044's and 066. You want it, Dennis??

Current favorites: The sometimes problematic Husky 335, because it is so light, cheap, and adequate. And my Madsenized 372, done before I heard of all you gurus. Lusting after the 385 and 357, but no real need yet.

After I have one of youse guys hop my 3120, then it will doubtless be a fav..........!

Last edited:
Favorite in the tree- Stihl 020T, favorite on the ground- Stihl 028 super, favorite in the woodpile- Jonsered 2065, favorite big'un-Jonsereds 111S :blob2:

Back in the early 60's, my dad bought a Sears David Bradley saw that we used for many years clearing the woods up at the lake in Maine. I was too young to use it when he first got it, but long about 1970, I got to use it quite a bit. It had about an 18" real wide bar on it (compared to my Huskys) and it was gear drive. I remember that it was blue on the top and white on the bottom, had the fuel and chain oil filler caps in line on the top, was very squarish in design and had virtually no muffler. It's too long ago to remember how it cut, but it was my first experience with saws. Some time ago, he sold it to a guy down the road because it just got to be too heavy for him, but I think I may visit the guy this summer and see if I can buy it back from him for nostalgia's sake. It was a key element in some great memories.

I guess my favorite would be my Poulan Wild thing That was given to me by a wife whos Husband had Dropped a pine with it through the neihbors pool House and the only reason its my favorite is because it Made me 3200.00 LMAO it was good for 1 cut i cant get it started!My favorite is a 036Pro
Great power compared to a 026 I would like to call my NEW 020T my favorite But my stihl Dealer cant get it to run right! Yet after 3 visits.

Later,
David

Latest posts

Back