favorite tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope you all had a good day out there today.... here is an easy question for you ..... i'm just curious about this....

whats your favorite tree? and why?.. whether its easy to work in or just nice to look at.... everyone should have one... especially a tree guy....
i really like two trees in particular.... the atlas cedar... not the blue... but the bright green one... what a beautiful tree.... when they are maintained right they are awesome....
the hanoki cypress is my other favorite.... they are lush and have a great color and they make a wonderful screen tree...
Sequoia semperviren- Coast Redwood. all have there own characteristics, and some really have some girth, and height. But all have a mystical, or magical apperence when you stand next to them, and look up to the sky.

Sequoia semperviren- Coast Redwood. all have there own characteristics, and some really have some girth, and height. But all have a mystical, or magical apperence when you stand next to them, and look up to the sky.

Nice, is there a story behind this pic?

225941d1330151107-100_0777-jpg

I like sugar maples to climb, and sassafras as a tree, beautiful in the fall when they turn!

I sure do miss the trees out west. Sequoias, redwoods, and cedars are such majestic trees to look at. In my neck of the woods I'd have to say the american elm for climbing. For shear beauty a mature white oak is hard to beat. Another favorite would be a dawn redwood

My favorite all time tree is the big American elm in my front yard. My favorite species is the red oak, so much structure to work with and the results when they are properly pruned is priceless.

View attachment 226123
I like long leaf pine we had a big one out by the well pump were I grew up ineast texas, they are rare now, and also love the live oak
not the little scrub groves but the big old field grown ones some of the strongest wood and heaviest wood I get used to tyeing off to small wood on them,
Paul

Last edited:
Nice, is there a story behind this pic?

225941d1330151107-100_0777-jpg
Thank you. The kid in the pic is Brian parmeter, now about 29-30 one of my best friends. When the pic was taken I just moved to Cazadero a small near the coast town. His family is Parmeter logging, and excavation. There was a big write up in the local paper. It was from a logging job above Cazadero, Bohan Dillon road. brian's dad Will is one hell of a faller, and climber, and both his son's John, and Brian are naturals as well. Brian is now a timber faller in Oregon, and John is still out here, and a best friend as well we all do alot of tree work together. I have always loved that picture can not find the local paper article for all the details. Some day I will hit there dad up for the story again. Saws used were a 750 homelite, and 056 Stihl I think been awhile. Norm...........

I'm a producer of maple syrup. It's the sugar maple for me. They give the most and sweetest sap and they are thing of beauty. Besides having a nice limb structure and crown they have the best colors when they change in the fall.

I'm a producer of maple syrup. It's the sugar maple for me. They give the most and sweetest sap and they are thing of beauty. Besides having a nice limb structure and crown they have the best colors when they change in the fall.

Yet another example of the proverbial money tree. ;)

The Ash Beetle is a major problem in Indiana... and I have people ask what to plant instead? Birch drop twigs, Walnuts- walnuts, maples- helicoptors, cottonwoods- lots of junk... It seemed like Ash was a great tree- grew fast, not dirty, nice shape... but they're done for in this area.

Your consensus is: Beech, and dawn redwood. not familiar with the latter, but, whats a decent tree that has the attributes the ash has that I listed?

I like the smooth bark or sour nut hickory personally . They are usually straight , produce a wood that has a decent color . Doesnt cut terribly bad , splits very well when wet and leaves a nice canopy on the top.

The Ash Beetle is a major problem in Indiana... and I have people ask what to plant instead? Birch drop twigs, Walnuts- walnuts, maples- helicoptors, cottonwoods- lots of junk... It seemed like Ash was a great tree- grew fast, not dirty, nice shape... but they're done for in this area.

Your consensus is: Beech, and dawn redwood. not familiar with the latter, but, whats a decent tree that has the attributes the ash has that I listed?

zelkova

I'd say it has got to be white oak for me. Great wood, lumber, leaves, and great smelling saw dust. Plus, you couldn't spend a better day than climbing one of those isolated monsters.

hope you all had a good day out there today.... here is an easy question for you ..... i'm just curious about this....

whats your favorite tree? and why?.. whether its easy to work in or just nice to look at.... everyone should have one... especially a tree guy....
i really like two trees in particular.... the atlas cedar... not the blue... but the bright green one... what a beautiful tree.... when they are maintained right they are awesome....
the hanoki cypress is my other favorite.... they are lush and have a great color and they make a wonderful screen tree...

I think my favorite is a bristlecone pine, I like the knarly wind swept ancient bonsai look. Next would be the coastal redwood. And for trimming and climbing I like Paper Birches. I like that chalky feeling on my hands. For removals I like taking down spruce , I llke to set a timer and see how long it takes me to climb it, limb it, top it and drop it, so far my best time is 22 min.

Back