felling dawgs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you guys use to connect the outside dawgs to your stihl saws? I have both for my 440 and 460, off baileys.. I need to know what to put them on the outside cover with?

Mine aren't like that. They go on the 2 holes on the side cover. I want to know what to put them on with?

you need some small bolts to hold the outer one on and the inner sould fit in place of your stock dawg (with the stock screws)

Mine aren't like that. They go on the 2 holes on the side cover. I want to know what to put them on with?

Nuts & Bolts! :biggrinbounce2:

If your 440 cover is anything like my 361 cover, (61mm hole centers) it takes M5 x ??(fine pitch) x 12mm bolts & nuts. The bolt heads and nuts are 8mm hex.

Thanks for reminding me I needed to fetch a couple sockets and a tube of loctite out of the shed for work tomorrow! ;)

Edit for too long bolts... I measured 16mm LOA head & all

Last edited:
The bolts are put in from the inside -the nuts are on the outside - use the Stihl nuts - they are a deformed type locknut, and don't come off.

drilling holes?

Thanks! By the way gary, I didn't mind everybody has them!;)

What do you guys use to connect the outside dawgs to your stihl saws? I have both for my 440 and 460, off baileys.. I need to know what to put them on the outside cover with?

They attach through the factory holes in the side cover. IIRC those holes have a hex countersink on the inside which holds the bolt head from spinning and you use a locknut on the outside of the dog. I added an outside dog on my 038 Super last fall and it is set up the same as a 440/460. Any GOOD Stihl dealer will have the correct bolts and nuts in stock to accomplish this.
Finnbear

They attach through the factory holes in the side cover. IIRC those holes have a hex countersink on the inside which holds the bolt head from spinning and you use a locknut on the outside of the dog. I added an outside dog on my 038 Super last fall and it is set up the same as a 440/460. Any GOOD Stihl dealer will have the correct bolts and nuts in stock to accomplish this.
Finnbear

How did the Bailey's longer dogs work? I have been looking at them for my 460.
THANKS

I had a brain fart... the way I described is the way they bolt on to the bigger Husqvarna's. Doh!:jester:

Gary

Think we have talked about the husky subject before, and it seems you are getting there :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back