Felling Laws in New Zealand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksvanbrunt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I am working in NZ for a tree care company (originally from the states) and have been told by fellow employees that it is illegal here to do the bottom cut of a face cut before the angle cut on a traditional face cut. I have not been able to find any evidence online about this so it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could shed some light on this issue. I have never seen anybody do the angle cut of a face cut before the bottom cut (under cut) until working here in NZ where it seems like everybody does it. Would either way take any more structural integrity away from the tree than the other. I am having a hard time swallowing this one as it doesn't make any sense to me as to why it should matter since a face-cut is a face-cut.Thanks in advance for any answers or help. Cheers!

I don't know about NZ but this method is recommended in Husqvarna demos I've seen. Making the angle cut first allows you to more easily aim the hinge using the aiming lines on the saw and you can see when the bottom cut meets it. Works fine for me.

I don't know about NZ but this method is recommended in Husqvarna demos I've seen. Making the angle cut first allows you to more easily aim the hinge using the aiming lines on the saw and you can see when the bottom cut meets it. Works fine for me.
I appreciate the feedback. In saying that, it is definitely a matter of opinion on it being more easy to aim the hinge with the gunning site because when your flat cut is made it is facing in the exact direction. also, if your aim is off and you have to adjust your angle cut the one side of your face will be lower than the other and your face cut will be ugly-cooked-dangerous. Either way if that works for you and you are used to it then sweet and keep it up. The guys I work with match theirs up well but I am so used to doing the bottom cut first that it is wicked hard to match up the face cut when doing the angle-cut first.

I've always done the angled cut first. Never done me wrong. But then again,I hold a deck of cards in my right hand and distribute them with my left. I only realized I was dealing like a lefty a few years ago. Trust me,I'm no lefty

Sounds like some bureaucrat had to much time on her hands.
Right? Its driving me crazy that I can't find a legit answer on the topic and every time I call the NZ arborist association I get no call back. Some strange laws here in NZ so for some reason it wouldn't surprise me it it were the case.

So somewhere else in the world something is done differently regarding tree work..... oh the shock and horror! :rolleyes: Not that big a deal is it? Wouldn't be the first time someone made a law that didn't make sense. :dizzy:

I don't see the difference in doing either cut first. Many things i have read say do the angle cut first, while others says the base cut. If you want to fell the tree you have to at least choose and do one or the other right?
If this is really driving you that crazy maybe you have too much time on your hands. ;)

Shouldn't this be in the 101 forum? Top cut first is safer and much more forgiving should the cuts not match up perfectly.

Yes, i prefer to do the top cut first also. Not a huge problem if done the other way, but as you say can lead to problems with uneven and weaker hinge wood if particularly the base cut is too deep and does not meet the top angle cut properly.

Thank you again for your replies. I know it shouldn't drive me crazy and I should just drop it but it is still nice to see/hear other peoples opinion on the matter. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back