Felling old maple tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am dropping this old maple , already dropped the huge limb off the facing side, I notched the back then relieved both sides, everything worked well but is there a better way, this was a jred 2186 with a 28" bar.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Throw this up in the falling pic threads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The bottom where the other big limb was cut off was much bigger, just easier to get thru up higher.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you guys look again you'll see he cut windows not faces, I thought the same thing until I realized they were windows so he could reach all the way across.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Huh... Little high for my personal liking. A 28" bar should of been plenty for that tree and a conventional cut just might of had to cut from both sides to reach all the way through. Likely would of been quicker and less risky. I never like cutting at shoulder height of it can be avoided and in this case it could have been. Each to their own. Nice saw.:rock:

Looked good. It fell where you wanted it to. Remaining limb weight pulled it to the direction you wanted it to go etc.
Well thought out for that tree, but I would have also cut at a more natural height, in case of a kickback or jamb or something. Just me.
I may have also cut up and removed some of the large pieces around on the ground first to give myself more space and a quicker escape route in case things went wrong. Safety first.
Nice job, saw sounded good...lol. Lots of nice firewood there.....I love Maple, it's my favorite firewood

Maple is my favorite too but I end up processing more Ash than anything else thanks to the EAB problem we have here. Dang beetles kill really nice trees.

Latest posts

Back