Felling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So today I was felling some hardwood (red oak, gum, white oak, and water oak) on a really steep incline. We rarely use wedges in the woods. Since I have been on this forum I have been reading posts from loggers about using wedges. I take alot of pride in dropping trees where I want them to go, and usually do a good job at it. How often do you guys use wedges?

Funny, this afternoon the boss was showing me what he wanted fell for 2moro, and as we were walking he pointed out a couple trees he missed with the buncher and asked me to cut them. I dropped the 1st one perfect and the 2nd one right where I wanted. I was headed over to the 3rd tree and saw that my boss was watching...that made me nervous! I needed the tree to roll down the side of another smaller oak so as not to swamp the logs below...well, I hung the damn thing! The top was light and I misjudged my notch a couple degrees. :msp_mad: I hated that he saw me do it but it wasn't any real big deal just hurt my pride a bit.

I don't know how to phrase this question... how much more of a percentage of perfect drops can you gain from proper wedging? And time wise, is it worth it to be perfect in the woods where a skidder can just straighten out a couple missed drop trees? Thanks!

So today I was felling some hardwood (red oak, gum, white oak, and water oak) on a really steep incline. We rarely use wedges in the woods. Since I have been on this forum I have been reading posts from loggers about using wedges. I take alot of pride in dropping trees where I want them to go, and usually do a good job at it. How often do you guys use wedges?

Funny, this afternoon the boss was showing me what he wanted fell for 2moro, and as we were walking he pointed out a couple trees he missed with the buncher and asked me to cut them. I dropped the 1st one perfect and the 2nd one right where I wanted. I was headed over to the 3rd tree and saw that my boss was watching...that made me nervous! I needed the tree to roll down the side of another smaller oak so as not to swamp the logs below...well, I hung the damn thing! The top was light and I misjudged my notch a couple degrees. :msp_mad: I hated that he saw me do it but it wasn't any real big deal just hurt my pride a bit.

I don't know how to phrase this question... how much more of a percentage of perfect drops can you gain from proper wedging? And time wise, is it worth it to be perfect in the woods where a skidder can just straighten out a couple missed drop trees? Thanks!

Wedges serve many purposes. To put a leaning tree in a certain direction, and to allow you to keep a thicker hinge.

Also not to point out the obvious but it will keep your saw from getting pinched if she happens to lean back on the backcut

I encourage anyone falling to have a few

Last edited:
Wedges serve many purposes. To put a leaning tree in a certain direction, and to allow you to keep a thicker hinge.

Also not to point out the obvious but it will keep your saw from getting pinched if she happens to lean back on the backcut

what close said, I don't use them all the time, depends on the tree but I use them at least half the time. My son gets all pissy and whiny if I jumble up the trees he has to hook. We cable skid. I will say this, I learned my lesson long ago. My father in law was a logger and his dad before, He asked me one day like this, "Robert, your good at felling, how about dropping this water oak for me"
I was 22 and bullet proof at the time. Sure I said, tree set back so hard on my wedge I couldn't get the saw out, wind blew it straight backwards from the intended direction. Didn't mess anything up but the good Lord aimed that one cause it could have.

So, my response is, to expect lots more trees to hang up and go wrong through out your career as a feller. But aim to not have it happen. BTW, I'm 55 now and I may have one go wrong tomorrow. ;)

Be safe, and don't worry about impressing anyone.

Very wise point he just mentioned. Unexpected things will happen, with or without wedges.

But I'm willing to bet a faller with a set of wedges is not only a more confident one, but a safer one.

You learn to respect them when you drop the 30"+ timber when u want a nice thick hinge to control and guide the drop. Now I'm not talking an abnormally thick hinge, but a nice healthy chunk that can easily be inched thin when it won't start to creep for you....instead of the "ill slowly chew up a little more hinge" you can bust out the wedges.

Last edited:
But I'm willing to bet a faller with a set of wedges is not only a more confident one, but a safer one.

You learn to respect them when you drop the 30"+ timber when u want a nice thick hinge to control and guide the drop. Now I'm not talking an abnormally thick hinge, but a nice healthy chunk that can easily be inched thin when it won't start to creep for you....instead of the "ill slowly chew up a little more hinge" you can bust out the wedges.

I actually find the big timber easier to deal with. It's those little buggers in the way to get the big ones that seem to bug me the most. :)

I actually find the big timber easier to deal with. It's those little buggers in the way to get the big ones that seem to bug me the most. :)

Yup, dumping a little POS 10" whip out of the way rolling through your day's cutting and it sits back, no decent space for a wedge, maybe you can cram one sideways right behind the bar and get the backcut to start to open meanwhile destroying that corner of that wedge, the one you've saved to get into a closed kerf, which is now working its way out of that esteemed role.

Yup, dumping a little POS 10" whip out of the way rolling through your day's cutting and it sits back, no decent space for a wedge, maybe you can cram one sideways right behind the bar and get the backcut to start to open meanwhile destroying that corner of that wedge, the one you've saved to get into a closed kerf, which is now working its way out of that esteemed role.

haha, yes, I've been there. :laugh:

Haha the nightmare days of limbing. I worked for a smaller well established logger and hell I had to fall the trees, limb, run over release the winch in the skidder and choke up all the trees, suck them in and head to the landing 1/2 mile out. Hell I remember starting the day in 15 degree weather wearing insulated overalls on top of about 4 other layers and within setting my first three chokers id be stripping down to a long sleeve lol.

Then the worst is your sweating in that 20 to 30 degree weather and u stop to skorf down a quick lunch and your sweat turns ice cold and that's it man....once you stop for lunch after you sweat in that frigid weather your ice cold for the day haha.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree on the smaller diameter trees getting away from you. The one I mentioned previously was just a little smaller than a good tie log, my notch was off just enough to prevent the roll I needed. I always carry a wedge to get me out of a bind when bucking in the woods... guess I need to start using it more often for falling. I don't try to impress anybody, just a general satisfaction for me to put them where I want them. I'm a little bit type "A" and always want to do well...and do it quick. Thanks again.

Oh, and glad to hear others admit trees going in the wrong direction from time to time.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree on the smaller diameter trees getting away from you. The one I mentioned previously was just a little smaller than a good tie log, my notch was off just enough to prevent the roll I needed. I always carry a wedge to get me out of a bind when bucking in the woods... guess I need to start using it more often for falling. I don't try to impress anybody, just a general satisfaction for me to put them where I want them. I'm a little bit type "A" and always want to do well...and do it quick. Thanks again.

Oh, and glad to hear others admit trees going in the wrong direction from time to time.

Anyone who tells you they never have "oh ####" moments is a bs artist.

Exactly!

Haha the nightmare days of limbing. I worked for a smaller well established logger and hell I had to fall the trees, limb, run over release the winch in the skidder and choke up all the trees, suck them in and head to the landing 1/2 mile out. Hell I remember starting the day in 15 degree weather wearing insulated overalls on top of about 4 other layers and within setting my first three chokers id be stripping down to a long sleeve lol.

Then the worst is your sweating in that 20 to 30 degree weather and u stop to skorf down a quick lunch and your sweat turns ice cold and that's it man....once you stop for lunch after you sweat in that frigid weather your ice cold for the day haha.

That is an everyday occurance for me...except messing with the skidder, my boss uses a grapple skidder.

I always carry an axe with the wedges. I know some guys that cut a beat stick everytime they wedge. Throw in a couple feet of snow to up the sweat factor. T shirt and insulated pants aren't out of the question some days.

Sounds familiar. I wish it didn't.

Are you working full time as a logger now?

hell, I'm the boss, at least that's what my son sez, I wonder sometimes. Anyway. I do all the felling and limbing (90%) he drags cable and skids. Before that, it was just me. But he's worked with me full time for 8 years or so, and even helped when he was
to young to use a chainsaw. I like the size of our operation.

reminds me of a tale, true tale, I'd bought my oldest a toy chainsaw when he was 3 years old. He was carrying it around in the yard one day and an older neighbor lady passed by, she was appalled to think I already had him using a chainsaw. :)

Latest posts

Back