Ficus transplant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogito

Cogito ergo sum
Reaction score
Thought I would just throw this out there. It was professionally shot, edited and produced by our MRA (Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority) a government body in Perth. So is high quality footage.
I am the guy climbing in the tree. I don’t have the permission to name any one else. Theres one guy in particular, who is an ex-paratrooper who probably would have preferred me to pixelate his face. But I lack such skills.

Enjoy.

Thought I would just throw this out there. It was professionally shot, edited and produced by our MRA (Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority) a government body in Perth. So is high quality footage.
I am the guy climbing in the tree. I don’t have the permission to name any one else. Theres one guy in particular, who is an ex-paratrooper who probably would have preferred me to pixelate his face. But I lack such skills.

Enjoy.

Video is 2014. Wonder how the tree is doing?

I use to work for the company and the guy that invented that technique of moving very large trees. The company was Environmental Design and they were doing this way back in the early 1990's. I helped move quite a few big trees this way. All of them are mostly on site moves or short moves where height restrictions are not an issue. Our success rate was about 95%. The tree is Ball and bur lapped and drilling pipe is driven under the root ball and I beams placed under the pipe to support the root ball and tree. About 8 to 10 lateral feeder roots are left in place till the day of the move.Later on they built huge steel boxes that are connected with big steel pins that lock the steel box panels together. Those roots are what lets the tree draw water up until the day of the move. The tree is basically on life support for 4 to 5 years and must be constantly monitored until the roots can reestablish new sprouts. It cost big bucks to do a move like this. Moves like this are typically done several years in advance with root pruning and canopy pruning the tree a year or two before the move.

Enjoy.

Thank you Mr Moderator.

Back