Fightin' the urge to burn... anyone else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here...about a week of burning with no end in sight. But hey that's why we do all this work right? So we can have heat whenever we feel the need!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Doesn't bother me one bit because I love cutting, splitting and stacking. Also keeps my wife away from the thermostat.

Burn!!!:angry2:

If you run out support one of your local firewood dealers instead of OPEC.

+1
I couldn't agree more everybody wins. 1 you get to light that first fire 2 opec loses another sale 3 if need be a local business gets your money not someone overseas

Doesn't bother me one bit because I love cutting, splitting and stacking. Also keeps my wife away from the thermostat.

I hear ya buddy!! This is our 2nd season of heating with wood. Like you, I enjoy the work involved with staying warm in winter. I've been on the lookout for wood all year long and it's paid off with an ample supply going into this burning season. Whereabouts in Ohio are you? Anywhere near Cleveland?:greenchainsaw:

I've had the old downdrafter smokin for about 3 weeks now. We had our first snowfall yesterday and the evenings have been pretty cold lately. I have been burning up all the small ends and odd pieces that I saved from a 52" rock maple I cut up this past spring. ... I used to leave this stuff in the woods but don't believe I will anymore. As old Ben said, Waste not, Want Not. Incidentally, this rock maple produced just under 5 cord of split stacked wood.

Maplemeister :chainsaw: :)

There's a spot on the hwy where the summit of Mt. Washington is visible off in the distance on a clear day like today. It was quite a sight to behold, seeing the northeast's highest peak all white with snow in the distance with the last of fall's colorful foliage in the foreground.

We've been burning for weeks now. Not just for heat but also to cook and bake. Because we use the stove for cooking, we fire her up anytime doing so doesn't make the house oppressively hot. Pretty much all white pine and the stubs and odds and ends. Saving my red oak, sugar maple, beech and ash for when the btu's stored therein will do the most good. Might toss in a little cherry or apple if I get to do any work out in the dooryard so I can smell the aroma wafting from the chimney. :) :)

Don't fight the feeling. You won't run out if you don't ever stop collecting. :chainsaw:

It's not even cold around here (45 at night up to almost 70 during the day) but since I've got a six-month old I've been starting a fire in the morning and another at night to keep the house from getting under 75*. I've laid in enough wood for the next couple of years so, worst case for me is that I don't collect another stick of wood until spring and wind up getting into next years supply by a bit.

woodbooga: (WOOD-boog-ah), n. regional dialect, common to areas of New Hampshire and Maine including the towns of Ossipee, Alton, Farmington, Acton, and Lebanon; one who attempts to score free firewood to fuel woodburning appliances in an effort to mitigate expenses related to home heating with fossil fuels. Frequently used as a term of derision by non-woodburners who mock the presence of loose bark and other wood waste in the beds of their pickup trucks. :) :)

I love it!!:clap: :clap:

Ive been burning every night for the past week. Im not worried about running out of wood and running the woodstove is a heck of a lot cheaper than running the furnace.
Alliant Energy can kiss my :censored: !

Us too about a week of burning, highs in the 50's, lows about freezing. Just burning in the evenings and all night. The sun warms to house pretty good during the day. This weekend its suppose to be rainy with a chance of snow Sunday Monday lows in the 20's, highs in the low 40's. I will be burning around the clock this weekend.

I have been burning day and night for about a week. Previous two weeks or so I was only burning at night. I scored 2 dead elm trees, unexpectedly, in September, and have been burning them. My wife loves elm.

Been burning for a little over a week. Last night was the first night I really had to let er rip though! Wife thinks I'm crazy looking forward to the cold weather.

Lit a fire tonight in the Answer, just enough mulberry to take the edge off otherwise the Wife will complain, TOO HOT. It's always a fine line. Temps in the low 40s upper 30s now.

1 month

Hey OPEC, I have not burned a single drop of oil in my house for a month! Making all my heat and Hot water for free. So put that in your camel's A$$ and smoke it! I haven't looked forward to colder weather in al ong time. I've been going out on weekends and cutting standing dead and cutting dead branches in the woods that are just going to rot. Due to this I have not touched any of my red oak or hickory (12 cords) I'll likely try to burn my pine and box elder into December. I've got enough wood for about 2 years ready, but why stop there? I'd like to have 3-4 years worth stacked. This site rocks, what a great bunch of folks here!:clap:

I hear ya buddy!! This is our 2nd season of heating with wood. Like you, I enjoy the work involved with staying warm in winter. I've been on the lookout for wood all year long and it's paid off with an ample supply going into this burning season. Whereabouts in Ohio are you? Anywhere near Cleveland?:greenchainsaw:

I'm in Wooster

Been about a week for me as well. I'm cutting for 2011 now and have not bought a drop of oil in 4 years. the owb gets the load of the work and an old craft stove fireplace insert with blower is there for backup, works well with no blower as well, when power goes out.

C.B.

Dont fight it, burn it!!!

I burn wood because i like to be comfortable, and i like cutting wood. The more i burn, the more comfortable I am, and the more I have to cut.

As the politicians would say, burning wood is a win win situation!:clap:

Back