Fighting with Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonizer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
wrist-pin retaining rings? Who has trouble removing them on MS460 and MS660's? I have a tip for you to make it much easier.

Simonizer said:
wrist-pin retaining rings? Who has trouble removing them on MS460 and MS660's? I have a tip for you to make it much easier.
Don't be a pompous ass again Simon, just say it.

Husky nut said:
Last one hit my co-worker...lol
Take an old wrist-pin from an MS 660 and grind the end down with a cutting disc on a die-grinder to leave a small tab that fits between the end gap of the ring. Braze this to a nice t-handle wrench. You can then easily rotate it to cross the cut-away in the piston. When one end is across that cut-away, you can grab it with small needle-nose pliers. I ran a hacksaw across one of the tips of the pliers so they get a firm bite on the bottom side of the retaining ring. This method removes the ring in about 10 seconds without losing it or damaging the wristpin bore.

Simonizer said:
Take an old wrist-pin from an MS 660 and grind the end down with a cutting disc on a die-grinder to leave a small tab that fits between the end gap of the ring. Braze this to a nice t-handle wrench. You can then easily rotate it to cross the cut-away in the piston. When one end is across that cut-away, you can grab it with small needle-nose pliers. I ran a hacksaw across one of the tips of the pliers so they get a firm bite on the bottom side of the retaining ring. This method removes the ring in about 10 seconds without losing it or damaging the wristpin bore.

Simon just show us a picture...cheers

removing them is easy.. insert pick in little slot.. place thumb over retaining ring and slowly pry up.. now comes the hard part! do all this without putting a hole in thumb and cussing out the saw cause it bit you!

NWCS said:
removing them is easy.. insert pick in little slot.. place thumb over retaining ring and slowly pry up.. now comes the hard part! do all this without putting a hole in thumb and cussing out the saw cause it bit you!
I worked with a guy that took one in the eye! Like I said, if you rotate the ring until the end is across the cut-away, it is easy and safe to grab.

NWCS said:

I agree... and I always count them to make sure one isn't in the bottom of the crankcase...

Getting them out is easy, but putting them back is more interesting. Stihl sells a fancy installing tool, but it's so damn expensive and you need one for each size. I'm "ok" down to 10mm, but the 8mm weedeater clips drive me insane sometimes...

Simonizer said:
I worked with a guy that took one in the eye! Like I said, if you rotate the ring until the end is across the cut-away, it is easy and safe to grab.

Your idea had merit : I've found that on many of the messed up pistons you cannot rotate the clip without some form of tool... If it was installed correctly, the ring is supposed to be across the gap with the open end portion to the top of the piston, but many guys start with the end in the gap and leave it that way.

Once rotated, I just push a scribe end into the piston notch and pop it out into a rag.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Sweet, so I'm not the only one! Went through this saga last week in my garage.

We have a few wizing around the shop now and then :) The only reason to find them is to make sure they aren't in the bottom of the crank case!! I always (nearly always) fit new 10 cent clips... so easy to bend the old ones and why risk them...

Simonizer said:

Do you like the abuse you get on here? If not why don't you just answer the question you have asked in the same post? The suspense is not what is killing me - it is your Ignor-arrogance.

Latest posts

Back