Figure 8 question!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukesland77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, i have a question about using a figure 8.. I got an aluminum one without ears and i hooked a single 1/2 in line onto my door just to try it out but it seems like it is really hard to hold myself i wrapped it around the 8 just like it says to but it seems like there is way not enough friction. When decending with a figure 8 should i throw my line over a crotch and use both sides or just tie it in at the top and use the single line with a friction hitch + figure 8. I am totally new to using an 8 so any advice you have for me would be great. THanks

Which ever line method you choose always use a friction hitch just above the figure 8. It is good insurance for the possibility that something could go wrong.

Doubling up the rope will definitely give you better friction. I don't like descending on just the one strand... the friction is too little and it makes me work too hard with my brake hand. Doubled my brake hand hardly works at all. And also, if you tie your rope up high and then descend on one strand, you've still got your rope tied up in the tree. Double it over an overhead limb, pass the bight through the 8, clip in, back it up with some sort of friction hitch used on double ropes like a three rap prussik, undo your lanyard and away you go. Not to fast though, or you'll burn up on re-entry.

I hate to say it but ditch the figure 8. A locking carabiner with a munter hitch
will creat more friction, which will let your breaking hand do less work. Its designed to be used on a single line. you still need to back it up with a blakes or a prussic of some type. Just the other day while decending my brake hand bumped the trunk of the tree, i lost my grip , I eased up on the prussic and stopped fast, then I continued my decent.
Corey

scuff it.

Take some fine emery cloth to the figure-eight and rough it up a tad, you may find that this helps, as will a used line that has been broken in. The new lines have that waxy coating that really reduces friction during initial use. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back