Figured Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Harden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I opened three cherry logs I got last week and this is what was inside.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice pics.
You bragging or complaining ?? :hmm3grin2orange:
From the pics, it looks dang good to me.

Nice - I haven't seen cherry with that much gum streaking - really has a lot of character. Was this taken down in winter or summer? Just wondering if the season would affect the amount of streaking. I bet the aroma is really nice if you have any scraps to burn.

I imagine it would be more apt to gum up sawblades than clearer cherry. Anyone know if / how this much gum affects drying, finishing, etc.?

Nice - I haven't seen cherry with that much gum streaking - really has a lot of character. Was this taken down in winter or summer? Just wondering if the season would affect the amount of streaking. I bet the aroma is really nice if you have any scraps to burn.

I imagine it would be more apt to gum up sawblades than clearer cherry. Anyone know if / how this much gum affects drying, finishing, etc.?

It was taken down last week. There was about 30 or so in that last batch. I'll post more as they get sawn. It's gotta stop raining soon or I'm going to float away.

I use diesel and chainsaw bar oil to lube the blade. There is no noticeable buildup of gum or resin.

Last edited:
Man, it looks like you cut those down just in time. Much longer and I would think it would just become all rotten out. I haven't seen any gumming that follows the grain so well. Really cool stuff. Whatever's made out of that is definitely something that should be put on display. I too would be interested in seeing how the streaking takes stain. My guess would be that it makes it more contrasty. Thinking of doing any samples?

Nice mountain o' wood! You were a busy man. Looks like a lot of fairly narrow boards, were the logs on the small side?

It was taken down last week. There was about 30 or so in that last batch. I'll post more as they get sawn. It's gotta stop raining soon or I'm going to float away.

I use diesel and chainsaw bar oil to lube the blade. There is no noticeable buildup of gum or resin.

Looking forward to seeing more. When I said sawblade, I meant table saw.
Even clear cherry always seems more prone to burn and leaves deposits on my blade.

Hay Andy do have a kiln ? if so is there any chance of
seeing it in some pic or some sug.on what to build ?I know sooner or
later I will be Building one.
Vern

Hay Andy do have a kiln ? if so is there any chance of
seeing it in some pic or some sug.on what to build ?I know sooner or
later I will be Building one.
Vern

No, I don't. I am using a commercial kiln. The lumber yard also has full milling equipment. They take my green rough cut lumber in and I get finished flooring back.

I'm also building a solar kiln. Here is the URL for the plans.

http://www.woodscience.vt.edu/about/extension/vtsolar_kiln/

Latest posts

Back