File-o-plate instafan!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it'll work on semi chisel? Does semi have 10 deg tilt back? If so I'm sure it would work.

They have a specific FOP for SC, and allows for the 10 degree "Drop".

I have forgotten and took the file to the Carlton SC while thinking Stihl RMC and run zero drop without noticing much of a difference.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For your reference Bob.

Here is the tool I used for the spot on filed raker depth. I only used it to measure (filing on top of it was nearly impossible for me) and then eyed what had to be filed and filed by hand without the tool. It was usually 1-2 soft swipes on Oregon chain and a little bit harder on Carlton chain.

Oregon gauge. Uses Troutfisher's principles.

DSCF0991.jpg

The raker is not as low, as this chain is not mounted and is sitting on top of the craftsman table. But you get the idea of what has to be done.

DSCF0992.jpg

The right cutters were actually not as bad as I originally thought.

DSCF0994.jpg

But the left's side majority are like this.

DSCF0995.jpg

Now I see why the cutting on my saws felt like the chain was grabbing instead of cutting?? I assumed the rakers caused that problem.

Thanks for posting all these pics - they are very clear.:clap:

For your reference Bob.

Here is the tool I used for the spot on filed raker depth. I only used it to measure (filing on top of it was nearly impossible for me) and then eyed what had to be filed and filed by hand without the tool. It was usually 1-2 soft swipes on Oregon chain and a little bit harder on Carlton chain.

The Oregon raker gauges are constant height and your cutters are near new so that is why the raker gave the correct depth and cutting angle. However the Oregon raker gauge will produce too shallow a cutting angle when the cutter is worn, whereas the FOP will give a closer approximation the to the same cutting angle as when it was new.

BTW the FOP looks like it leaves a sloped flat top with a little corner on the raker like this.
attachment.php

If it were me I would round off that little corner so it didn't catch.

After using the file-o-plate a couple of times, I'm a believer in a sharp chain. What I noticed too, aside from my hand filing being way off, is that the chain stays sharper longer. Awesome little tool. It does take more time, but it's well worth the effort.

Light pressure and it self fed. #####in' feeling:clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The best feature of it is the raker guide, that relates to every single tooth and is progressive, like with the Husky combo guide - I prefere to not use guides on the cutters, unless I need a lot of strokes to fix a rocked out tooth (or one that hit metal)! :givebeer:

hang on Bobl, i thought you were saying the FOP would not keep the original cutting angle as the tooth is worn and sharpend, that the raker height would get closer to tooth height(less agresive) as the tooth is worn sharpend...???

im confused,
Serg

hang on Bobl, i thought you were saying the FOP would not keep the original cutting angle as the tooth is worn and sharpend, that the raker height would get closer to tooth height(less agresive) as the tooth is worn sharpend...???

im confused,
Serg

The raker clearance will increase as the chain is filed back, with the file-o-plate and the Husky guide - and it needs to, to maintain the cutter effectiveness! :)

What about skip chains? The FOP can't be used for those - is there a better way to set the rakers than the Oregon Gaugit?

-=[ Grant ]=-

What about skip chains? The FOP can't be used for those - is there a better way to set the rakers than the Oregon Gaugit?

-=[ Grant ]=-
I believe the file-o-plate and the Husky guide will work just as well on skip as on full comp, but I never used skip.:)

Just make sure you use he one made for the full comp version ot the same basic design - if not you are firmly into the "guesswork area".........

Some experience;

In 3/8" the Husky guide for Oregon LP/LPX/LGX etc works very well on Stihl RSC etc (for rakers, that is), haven't really tested it yet in .325, but the difference in chain design is larger there.....

Last edited:
I've been using the Carlton FOP for the last couple months. I run Stihl RSC chain almost exclusively. The problem is that my rakers are too low, making the chain so grabby in some cases that it's bascially unusable. I'm looking to try the Husky combination roller guage. It has both a soft and hard raker guage. I'm hoping the hard guage will get them back up where they need to be. Any thoughts?

I've been using the Carlton FOP for the last couple months. I run Stihl RSC chain almost exclusively. The problem is that my rakers are too low, making the chain so grabby in some cases that it's bascially unusable. I'm looking to try the Husky combination roller guage. It has both a soft and hard raker guage. I'm hoping the hard guage will get them back up where they need to be. Any thoughts?

I just started useing the roller gauge havent used it on the raker's yet but i do like the roller gauge.

Mike

I use the husky combi gauge, it works great, I only use the soft setting, and the chains are not too grabby.

I think you have a different cutter design thats tilted a few deg where the fop is for carlton with a 90 deg cutter.LGX/LPX is also tilted.

Can't say brad, only Stihl chain I ever see is what comes on a new saw.
Even the Stihl dealers here don't sell it.
Seems like a lot of people really like it tho..

Back