File-o-plate instafan!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After using the file-o-plate a couple of times, I'm a believer in a sharp chain. What I noticed too, aside from my hand filing being way off, is that the chain stays sharper longer. Awesome little tool. It does take more time, but it's well worth the effort.

Light pressure and it self fed. #####in' feeling:clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

After using the file-o-plate a couple of times, I'm a believer in a sharp chain. What I noticed too, aside from my hand filing being way off, is that the chain stays sharper longer. Awesome little tool. It does take more time, but it's well worth the effort.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBFtDXnX6rU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
dats what I been sayin. you need to get a vid up with some square on that little 5100 hot rod. I put some on my stocker a couple of weeks ago and holy cow, its fast stuff.
p.s. I have 3 f.o.p. in my pocket ... too bad fileing square isnt that easy

Amen brother.

Exactly. It's a cool little pocket tool. The three amigos. Tuning screw, fop, and a file!

I'm taking my chains seriously now after this experience.

Bro, make a vid with your 5100 running that square:clap:

I'm po right now. I need all me pennies for a 7900 modified build.

Exactly. It's a cool little pocket tool. The three amigos. Tuning screw, fop, and a file!

I'm taking my chains seriously now after this experience.

Bro, make a vid with your 5100 running that square:clap:

I'm po right now. I need all me pennies for a 7900 modified build.
man, I'm so old school I have to have help turning the computer on. A 64 D/L FROM BAILEYS IS ONLY GONNA SET YOU BACK LIKE 14 BUCKS sorry caps I'll stop hollerin now.

Interesting

I am not quite ready to admit that my free hand filing sucks...

I see what they mean, however, it won't work on some of my chains (skip, etc). The video was "noodling", from my experience a less than perfectly sharp chain can still noodle fairly well.

It's about time.:clap::clap::cheers:

It's about time.:clap::clap::cheers:

+1:greenchainsaw:

hahaha, I think they got ya, mate.

I actually find it really quick to use and IMO it sets the file at a more accurate height to get the hook/side plate angle right. In my experience the Oregon and Stihl file guides hold the file too high.

It's also the one of best little gizmos for setting the rakers/riders/depth gauges/whateveryoudamnedwellwanttocallthem

They are a little tricky to figure out becasue the instructions SUCK, I just happened to see a Baileys flyer with a photo of a guy using it and though Damn thats how it's done...LOL I would still like to know if I'm using it correctly for the rakers:dizzy:

Hometowns, it be the gospel of truth when it comes to sharp chains.

New to this game, it was the wrong move to try filing by hand without a tool to help. The first time I used the fop, it only filed the top plate and a little bit of the corner(the most important-I know you folks know, it's just for the rest of us trying to learn.) That's when I knew for sure that my filing was way off. Yesterday, the second time I used it, it began to file below the corner. So I'm on my way to "factory" spec cutters. It felt awesome again to have a chain right out of the box and one that lasted.

I couldn't figure out how to use it as well with their instructions until I saw the pic from Bailey's:cheers:

if it will help anyone out there don't do what I did. I was carrying a couple of fops in my wallet and now they are curved. well ones broke because i tried too bend it back in shape. the local shop charged me 5 bucks for one so my advice is include them on your next Baileys order.

Younger, I bought some woodland pro chain from them and they sent a fop for each chain for freeeeee:cheers:

From what I read, it's a Carlton chain.

DSCF0953.jpg

DSCF0955.jpg

Once you place the plate into place, you'll see what has to happen.

Place the plate on the chain and file away. Hold the fop with the hand that is not filing.

It's tricky at first. But once you get the hang of it, it should be smooth sailing.

Just take your time. Don't rush.

Fop

Chevytown,for someone who is starting out chain sharpening and wants to hand file his own chains would this be a good way to go?
Those were great pics you took by the way.Maybe a video of you using it would be even better.Just an idea.
Lawrence

Pete, that question is best left for someone with more experience. I just started using it, but felt the "out of the box" self feed cut feeling again. It's one of the cheapest tools out there. There are more advanced tools but I have no experience with them. I'm sure they are better too. But for the price and size of it, it seems to be a good deal.

This tool came free with a Woodland pro chain from Bailey's and I gave up on it when I couldn't figure out the instructions. But just a couple of days ago(thanks Bailey's for your catalog picture of the fop), I was struck with wanting to learn how to file my chains correctly after seeing how to place it on the chain. I was amazed to say the least how well it worked. My hand filing was way off. It's going to take multiple filings before I'm back to a factory file. But what it did was begin to "true up" the corner and top plate again, and it's night and day compared to my hand filing (non filing tool assistance). Once the side plate begins to file again, it should help some more I would imagine.

If someone with more experience doesn't step up with a vid explanation, I'll try my best to make one.

Latest posts

Back