File-o-plate instafan!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chevytown, it's good to see that you're doing some chain work. The file o plate looks to be a good tool, but it appears that there is no adjustment, you can only do what the plate tells you. Here's how i set depth guages, with a piece of glass and feeler guages. This way you can pick if want your rakers set at .020, .025, .030, whatever works best...........you want the glass to cover at least 3 cutters......

attachment.php

attachment.php

I thought that the whole point of the File-O-Plate is that it gives an angle to set the rakers at instead of a depth, that way the angles kept the same as the cutter is filed back which means that setting for the raker gets more as the cutter is filed back.

Do you change to a thicker feeler gauge as you file the cutter further back to maintain that angle?

It does do as you described, but if you want to set your rakers a litle lower this plate is useless, it is one predetermined height.

I thought that the whole point of the File-O-Plate is that it gives an angle to set the rakers at instead of a depth, that way the angles kept the same as the cutter is filed back which means that setting for the raker gets more as the cutter is filed back.

Do you change to a thicker feeler gauge as you file the cutter further back to maintain that angle?

Yes, the angle on the raker is important. When the corner of the cutter digs into the wood, the cutter rocks back and the raker lifts up and rides along like a ski. The raker should be filed at an angle. I just use the glass to set depth. Notice the leading edge of the raker in the first pic, it's rounded.

Last edited:
They are a little tricky to figure out becasue the instructions SUCK, I just happened to see a Baileys flyer with a photo of a guy using it and though Damn thats how it's done...LOL I would still like to know if I'm using it correctly for the rakers:dizzy:

Yep. Would be nice if the OP would make a vid of using the file o plate and show us how it works too. I'm willing to try one, but if the instructions are that bad, a little vid would probably go a long way.

Yep. Would be nice if the OP would make a vid of using the file o plate and show us how it works too. I'm willing to try one, but if the instructions are that bad, a little vid would probably go a long way.

LOL your're kidding right??? Post #26 is a vid Rick did:hmm3grin2orange:

That gauge and the one I use(husky combi gauge) files the rakers at an angle, I've never had a problem just leaving it like that, but every now and then I'll take a file and free hand the leading edge of the raker and round it off, because after a while the top gets pretty flat, and big.

But I like the Husky combi gauge better, I think it works a little nicer, and its faster, it also holds the file at the 10deg tilt as well. It works real slick, but it is a few more $$$ then the File-o-Plate.

Do you have a link for those? Goodness knows I need to find something to help me with my chains. I'm always having trouble getting my depth guages right.

I didn't find anything with those. Which of these? THIS or THESE?
I don't know Brad the numbers are confuseing as hell, but the part number on the plate you want is 37509 for a .375 chisel. If you need a low profile its 36504. I don't think you do semi chisel but its 37504. The .325 plate is your guess is as good as mine.hang on I'll go look on the box.
ok the .325 plate is 32509

Last edited:
I don't know Brad the numbers are confuseing as hell, but the part number on the plate you want is 37509 for a .375 chisel. If you need a low profile its 36504. I don't think you do semi chisel but its 37504. The .325 plate is your guess is as good as mine.hang on I'll go look on the box.
ok the .325 plate is 32509

A search at Baileys on the first number brings up a needle bearing, the second one nothing.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for the best depth guage device. I'm not concerned about grinding or filing angles. There was a thread recently with these Husqvarna guages. I wish I could find it now.

IMO, the Husky gauge is the best one. Especially in the field. it slips over the chain and fits perfect and holding your 10deg tilt back, and if the chain rocks back and fourth this gauge goes with it not affecting the angle, unlike the Carlton FOP. Raker gauge works sweet too.

Latest posts

Back