File size for Stihl 33RSC chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slednut3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking on bailey's at some files and was trying to figure out the correct size round file for Stihl 33RSC chains. I notice that a 7/32 and 13/64 says it will work. Why the two size options? What does everyone else use?

I know stihl calls for 13/64th but I buy the 7/32th buy the dozen and they seem to work fine. If anything they keep the gullets more open and still give all the hook I want.

Stihl recommend 13/64" for 3/8" chain and 7/32" for .404". However, Oregon and others recommend 7/32" for 3/8" and .404" chain.
Using a 7/32" file on Stihl 3/8" chain is OK though and you would struggle to notice the difference in cutting. It can be a bit more difficult to give the chain a first sharpening but that is about it. Using said file would produce just a little less hook.

However, it is best to keep an array of different file sizes to use accordingly depending on the length of cutter remaining.

JD hit it

The 13/64 file gives just enough extra clearance between the cutter and raker to make the first filing easier, though 7/32 will work. After the initial filing either size works fine.

Take Care

I like the 13/64 also. Theres 1/64" difference in the two sizes. Thats about the thickness of a piece of thread. :hmm3grin2orange:

Either will work, but the 13/64 gives me what I want with mine.

JD hit it

The 13/64 file gives just enough extra clearance between the cutter and raker to make the first filing easier, though 7/32 will work. After the initial filing either size works fine.

Take Care

Easier to get the hook replicating the factory grind with the 5.2mm-13/64" file IMO.

I use both file sizes too.

Some people use 7/32 for the first half of the chain, when its worn half way change to 13/64,

Yes, to all that! :agree2:

:big_smile:

Back