files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what kind of files do y'all like? none seem to last long any more, i used to get pferd but the last i got, i didn't think much of. what about them diamond files?

Save edge are good and if you need something quick, Stihl sure ain't bad.

The save edge are very aggressive files and I have never found the slightly more rough texture they leave to actually negatively impact cutting speed.

Lots of people speak highly of pferd files but the one box I had were the worst files (other than Home Depot Chinese files) that i've tried.

Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna and a lot of the other files are made by Vallorbe in Switzerland. Whether there's a difference in them is unclear. Some people think Stihl files are better than the rest. I assume that there are different grades or different specs available from Vallorbe for private label.

The save edge files are single cut while the others are double cut. It's not really a secret. Not sure why all the others are double cut.

After the way Save Edge screwed us last Sept. - NOWAY I would buy from them again..the owner SUCKS..!!

"Miko"...quit the company after many years...so that should tell you something...can't buy direct anymore..:mad:

I get Stihl files that work great at $15.62 a dozen..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I like Echo files, I don't know who makes them for the saw maker but I find them to outlast stihl/oregon by at least a 2:1 margin.

I have tried lots of files and I really like the Stihl files and the Oregon ones but I think that the Pferd files are my favorite. There made over-the-seas and they hold a edge really well and remove lots of metal. I really enjoy using them. I think they got for about $10 for a box of 10.

Here is the website too them.

PFERD Sharpening Files

thanks guys, good info here. i may try a box of save edge to see for my self.
I wish you good luck finding any chainsaw dealer that stocks the brand...

My nearest is a dealer in equestrian products..like horse hoof files..and not cheap (or fast) as they have to order.

You see that was the 'owners scam'..."Oh..please tell your local dealers to sell our files" - - soo..what's in it for me..??

I don't get any discount like I did when I ordered direct from the company...I'm done with Save Edge for life..!!

And when the owner decided to Not sell direct..he didn't even give us a notice date...and...they're a site sponsor..!!

Just trying to make one..."Fish"... proud of me as his 'protege'...one post at a time..!!
J2F

Last edited:
thanks guys, good info here. i may try a box of save edge to see for my self.

The Save Edge files I got are absolutely the best file out there !!
I have a dozen of each size, and each box still has 11 files in them ...... outlasted everything else.
They cut faster, havent worn out, and are all in all best in every aspect ......... aside from the owner having mental issues, the files are great !!!!

The Save Edge files I got are absolutely the best file out there !!
I have a dozen of each size, and each box still has 11 files in them ...... outlasted everything else.
They cut faster, havent worn out, and are all in all best in every aspect ......... aside from the owner having mental issues, the files are great !!!!
I totally agree...they are very good files...I'm just pissed at the way the owner screwed us over...why NO notice..??

Easy thing to do...especially as an AS site sponsor...that was just wrong to do...and he didn't give a 'flip'..!!

Dude posted that Save Edge wasn't selling direct anymore as his order was declined.

I call and tried to get in touch with 'Miko'..(super nice dude) and was told he had quit the company after many years.

Russ...the owner totally sucks...I'd rather try to talk to a monkey from the circus...this guy has NO business sense..!!
J2F

vallorbe for me.

Same here, I also like "Rotary" files carried by Tilton years ago. I bought a lot of them from an estate sale, and no doubt they will last me for many, many years to come. Even had some Sandviks in the batch, they are very nice too.

I have Save Edge and like them alot. Wish I would have tried them sooner. I did not know AS members had problems with the company. I got mine from Treestuff.com (an AS sponsor). Their prices are good and shipment was extremely quick. Bailey's carry them too. Treestuff and Bailey's have a very good reputation on AS as far as I know. My experience with both has been superb. I got mine from Treestuff because you can buy 3 at a time. Good luck. Saw on...

And when the owner decided to Not sell direct..he didn't even give us a notice date...and...they're a site sponsor..!!

Just an FYI, Save Edge is no longer listed as a sponsor. Not sure when they dropped their sponsorship. I like their stuff, but I also liked ordering direct from em. I've got enough to last a few years, when they're gone, I'll worry then.

Best files I have ever used are the Total ones. Very long lasting. I made the terrible mistake of trying the Pferd ones...never again. A new Pferd cuts worse than a used up Total and if you lean on it to get some bit it just snaps.

Latest posts

Back