files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anybody use flat files or any form of file other than round to sharpen chain? There used to be an older gent that ran a tree co. and he used a flat file said it cut faster. He always threw nice chips.

i use a flat file to knock the rakers down a touch....other than that no.

so, would'nt the square ground chain cut faster than the round ground. If so why is'nt everyone useing square ground?

so, would'nt the square ground chain cut faster than the round ground. If so why is'nt everyone useing square ground?

Hard to sharpen by hand,
Need a special grinder to sharpen,
Most shops don't sell as much full chisel compared to semi.

Go ahead and order a chain from your dealer, if you can't hand file it worth a crap after it gets dull initial, just bust out the round file and make it a regular chisel chain.

Yes, a square ground chain cut's faster than a round ground chain. That's why virtually ALL (winning) race chain's are made square ground.
The reason that everyone isn't using it is the same reason why everyone isn't running Dolmar saw's. It's just not that popular, and most people are resistant to change.
The drawback to square ground chain is that it dosen't stay sharp as long as round ground in most firewood situations.

Andy

I've tried using both a double bevel flat file and a three sided file on my chisel chain. Still getting the hang of it somehwhat. The three sided file seems to work out the best for me though.

+1

Can´t get that kind of chain overhere, the same with the skip type of chains.
Have to get me some of these, together with a dual ported muffler fro my stock 660.

Lex

Yes, a square ground chain cut's faster than a round ground chain. That's why virtually ALL (winning) race chain's are made square ground.
The reason that everyone isn't using it is the same reason why everyone isn't running Dolmar saw's. It's just not that popular, and most people are resistant to change.
The drawback to square ground chain is that it dosen't stay sharp as long as round ground in most firewood situations.

I ordered 2 loops from the US to try they worked out cheaper than buying round here even with the shipping!

Andy

I ordered 2 loops from the US to try they worked out cheaper than buying round here even with the shipping!

I just have to trace some files now.
And im not having much luck!:mad:
Emailed a few Valorbe dealers but no replys.
Looks like its back to the US for them once i suss out what to get!

You can also use a goofy file on a semi chisel chain with good results just don't file to low under the topplate.

I just have to trace some files now.
And im not having much luck!:mad:
Emailed a few Valorbe dealers but no replys.
Looks like its back to the US for them once i suss out what to get!

Let me know how it worked out for you. I think you have to get them in the States, when the will reply. Good luck with it.

Lex

Back