Filing vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a vice, 800 lumen light, magnifying glass and about 30 minutes on chain and raker......your not gonna do this in the field. Lol
No, Im not! However, while youre taking 30 minutes to sharpen that chain I can put enough timber on the ground to buy the saw. Id also be willing to bet that there wont be enough difference between the chain you sharpen and the one I sharpen to be able to tell in the world I live and work in. IF I was into racing hotsaws, maybe but not when it comes to putting timber on the ground. None of my replies in this thread are meant to be derogatory at all, my point is to say that making a saw CUT is not that complicated.

No, Im not! However, while youre taking 30 minutes to sharpen that chain I can put enough timber on the ground to buy the saw. Id also be willing to bet that there wont be enough difference between the chain you sharpen and the one I sharpen to be able to tell in the world I live and work in. IF I was into racing hotsaws, maybe but not when it comes to putting timber on the ground. None of my replies in this thread are meant to be derogatory at all, my point is to say that making a saw CUT is not that complicated.

And I respect that 100%.
I prefer sharpening, cleaning air filter and bar at home, taking my time.

Don't cut for a living anymore,to old.

Lots of discussion here. All good.

I'm not a pro, but I serve at a wood bank and am trying to do a little hurricane relief as well. I do not often file a chain on the saw because a lot of our wood is dirty. I mostly grind chain, taking several loops to the field so I can replace them as they dull. Both grinding and filing have their advantages but I usually need to grind them.

As to the use of a filing vise, I get why it seems unnecessary. But I like how it locks a cutter in place for filing by hand, and I can get both hands on the 2 in 1 file. It won't really fit well on a bench vise (too high). There are plenty of places where hand filing is a necessity (eastern NC and and the FL panhandle come to mind) and a chain filing vise like this might come in handy, especially since it will readily fit on a dumpster, which you can find at just about any DR site.

Solved my problem on mounting this in my shop. Didn’t think it would fit but the bolts slot into the channel on the drill press table perfectly. Of course the table cranks up and down so I can adjust it to suit my near vision or lack thereof.

And no I'm not planning on hauling my drill press into the field. : )

IMG_2429.jpg

Very nice Lambs.

Just found this thread. You 'stole' one of the ideas I had a few years back when folks were complaining about replacing the vises on certain grinders - tried to get one of the 'worn out' vises to try something like this, but never happened. I was planning on mounting the vise portion only through a hole in a 2 X 6 (or similar). I like how you used more of the grinder base.

I also volunteer with some disaster groups, and have to clean up a bunch of chains periodically, as well as teach other to sharpen. Holding the chain steady, and being able to file with 2 hands really helps. Different than touching up an edge in the field. A fixed workstation, like yours, lets you do a batch of chains without needing the saws present. Also an option for filing inside, in a place where gasoline saws are not welcomed, like some of the places we stay.

Some groups that I have worked with bring grinders - have run some off generators in the field. Sometimes I need something that I can pack in a duffle and get through TSA. Good to have options. These are a few things I have tried. The last 2 are more portable.

I am going to link this thread to a few others on chain vises.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-low-tech-filing-vise.245004/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-low-er-tech-filing-vise.277258/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-machine-filing-clamps.240030/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tecomec-stump-vise-with-chain-stop.325255/

I've thought about a chain filing vise for years, but decided to go for it after applying to join a group of Baptists on Mission for disaster relief work in Morehead City NC. (hurricane Florence). It was my first time volunteering with them and I'd had none of their official training, but they assigned me to work with a chainsaw team from Tennessee based on my experience with a local wood bank. What a great group of guys and gals to work with. I had no idea whether our work areas would have power, and even if they did, I did not want to lug a grinder down there.

The evening before I drove down to the site, I cut off the vertical motor mount from a leftover 511a clone (with no motor) that I had lying around for parts. I then bolted it down to some scrap 2x6, grabbed a couple large C clamps and headed for the coast.

I got my chance to use it after two days of sawing up tree debris with another team member. Mounted the vise to the door channel of a dumpster in the parking lot, and used a Stihl 2 in 1 file on the chains. It all worked perfectly. I know not everyone has a spare grinder base lying around, but if you do, this might be a good use for it.

View attachment 679280
I live in NC as well. Thank you for your service.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Philbert I'm sure somewhere along the way I've read your posts about doing this. I definitely remember the one using vise grips.

I first got the idea when I found the base on "display" at NT with no motor and talked them into selling it to me for $25. I figured I could file with it but then realized the motor mount would be in the way, and I had no way to cut it off. So I put it aside and eventually got my first 511a grinder, at which point I thought I'd just use the base for parts. I cut the mount off with a Harbor Freight cut off wheel.

One of the things I value about this site in the 9 years I've been a member has been the flow of ideas. We're all about finding a better way / affirming what already works well, and I've learned a thing or two from just reading the responses to my post.

Best wishes all in the holiday season!

Back