Filling space btwn insert pipe and flue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss~zoso~ss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Like the title states, my stove has a bit of space between the liner 6' and the chimney flue (standard 7 or so in square terracotta).

We run the insert with the faceplate off most of the time because it heats better, due to more radiation heat

So, we're trying to find a way to insulate the area around the liner and chimney above the stove

I'm thinking the material used for chimney liners would work as it does not combust with intimate contact with a hot liner

Any ideas, and where to buy? Let me know if this doesn't make any sense..

If I understand what you are saying you are looking to build a block off plate. Good instructions are located here: Making a Sheet Metal Block-Off plate for a Masonry Fireplace

Shari

Heating code...UL1777 says that to add a liner to a masonry chimney that the liner needs 1" of clearence or it has to be insulated. The wool blankets they use can be cumbersome to wrap and adhere with chicken wire to prevent sagging. In this case a poured in insulation may be a better option.

As to the blanket wraps you asked about...Duravent makes such a product.
I should add there is a product...dura liner..a liner already insulated.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I mis-read your post. Keith is correct.

Our liner was insulated with a wrap before it was inserted into our flue. We also have the block-off plate at the bottom and a sealed top plate. Some people over on ********** only do the top and bottom block off plates only to realize later on they should have had their liner insulated.

If your liner is not insulated and don't have any block off plates you are correct - you are loosing a lot of generated heat.

Shari

Sorry, I guess I mis-read your post. Keith is correct.

Our liner was insulated with a wrap before it was inserted into our flue. We also have the block-off plate at the bottom and a sealed top plate. Some people over on ********** only do the top and bottom block off plates only to realize later on they should have had their liner insulated.

If your liner is not insulated and don't have any block off plates you are correct - you are loosing a lot of generated heat.

Shari

i understand what both of you guys are saying, but yes im looking to just build a block off plate for the base of the chimney, there's not enough clearance to install a liner wrap, its like a half inch on each side

the sheet metal thing makes sense, but is there any kind of fireproof insulation that can be bought and used to insulate the area?

the sheet metal thing makes sense, but is there any kind of fireproof insulation that can be bought and used to insulate the area?

Welders blanket is thin and takes heat. I highly doubt a fireplace installer would ever recommend it.

Doesn't sound right

I'm in the same situation as you. I have my stove pulled right now and just poured a new heart pad to level things out. I looked up the chimney and can see the gaps. I just called our local stove dealer and asked about stuffing the area with Rockwool and he said based on the distance, around 4 ft up I could use regular fiberglass insulation with the paper removed???? Doesn't sound right but I'm going out to the shed and put the torch to some pink panther and see what happens:msp_confused:

I'm in the same situation as you. I have my stove pulled right now and just poured a new heart pad to level things out. I looked up the chimney and can see the gaps. I just called our local stove dealer and asked about stuffing the area with Rockwool and he said based on the distance, around 4 ft up I could use regular fiberglass insulation with the paper removed???? Doesn't sound right but I'm going out to the shed and put the torch to some pink panther and see what happens:msp_confused:

DO NOT use regular pink insulation! There are specific products for this project. One or two have been mentioned above.

Your torch will melt pink panther!

PS Delete that local stove dealers name from you phone!

Shari

Flunked the test

Put the torch to the panther and although it did not ignite it just melted away. I'm pretty sure that my stove pipe doesn't reach directly applied torch temperatures but I'm going to get some of the Roxul from Lowes. $35 is worth trying and will use the remainder for some sound deading around the house.

There is an interesting thread on this very topic going on over here right now: ********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!

Shari

Back