Finallly... wood shed in progress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Rick's place today and milled most of what I need to finish the shed. Here's a clip and a few pics of the day.

Big thanks to Rick for volunteering the time and the logs. :clap::clap:

Biggest log of the day... 20" poplar
attachment.php

We cut the cant into 2 smaller ones and milled 2 boards at once..
attachment.php

Me watching Rick work instead of helping.
attachment.php

This load was a little tongue light. It liked to walk around behind the truck if I got much over 60. I appreciated the brakes. I thumbed the brake controller if it started acting up and that settled it right down till the next time. Wasn't as bad as I expected though. We quit before we got the 34 8 foot 1x4s milled because of how it looked. I'll pick that up locally. There are times that I could really use a larger trailer.. this would be one of them. :) If you look close, you'll see a 5 gallon bucket in the front of the trailer. There's another matching one in there too full of wet sand for a little tongue ballast. Silly me forgot that I had a couple buckets full of wheel weights here at the house that would have worked better.
attachment.php

Here's a poor video clip of the wood mizer at work on a poplar log. Dang Thing is quick!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaeDHM3hzgs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaeDHM3hzgs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Wait just a min......you only posted pic's of my ugly mug? Next time I'm snatching your camera.........

RD

Great woodshed (no doubt would double as tornado shelter w/ those 6x6's). Love the milling pics.
I told the assessor he wasn't welcome on my property. Unless I have to pull a permit there is no need for them to be there.

Nice work!
could you have opened the tailgate and used just the truck? or was it to much weight? Cant tell by the picture.

The long ones were 14 feet long.. My truck just has a 6' bed. I didn't feel comfortable with more hanging out of the truck than was in it. I bought a roll of marking tape for flags, but they all came off. Whipped off in the wind back there.

Ian

Went to Rick's place today and milled most of what I need to finish the shed. Here's a clip and a few pics of the day.

Big thanks to Rick for volunteering the time and the logs. :clap::clap:

Reped ya M7 fpr helping H² out! Great to see that kind of help on AS!

Great woodshed (no doubt would double as tornado shelter w/ those 6x6's). Love the milling pics.
I told the assessor he wasn't welcome on my property. Unless I have to pull a permit there is no need for them to be there.

I think Ian's new nickname should be NOB........

Notorious Over Builder

:greenchainsaw:

Reped ya M7 fpr helping H² out! Great to see that kind of help on AS!

Most of those logs were free from a tornado that came thru this summer. They needed to get milled up before they dried out much more. Besides, I needed the practice, still learning all the tricks of my new Woodmizer.
We had an odd dog board(last one left on the mill) every now and then that the thickness was not consistant(hourglass, wedge etc). I posted it over on the Forestry Forum and the consensus is tension in the log. To avoid it, we should have been turning the log more as we cut. All in all it was a great day!

RD

Cool Thread

Nice to see a project from start to nearly finished ;)
And even better to see another AS'r helping out, makes my little lean-to look very small.

Ian, thanks for taking the time to post the progress and the pics. Very nice work. That is almost identical to the plan that has been scribbled out on my work bench at home. A wood shelter was a project that I really wanted to get done this summer, but never got to it.

I do have a question for everyone else that chimed in about rotting posts, etc. What would be the proper way to install the posts? If they'll rot in the ground and they'll rot on top of concrete what would be the way to do it? My plan, since I have access to 100+ year old beautiful 8"X8" barn beams, is to pour a concrete pad first and use 12"-16" X 12"-16" shovel footings to place the posts on. I have seen this done in other applications and is very similar to the photos of the elevated deck in this thread. I am a little concerned about the fact that the beams are not treated, but they have been exposed to the elements for the last 150 years and still look great. Since I helped move all of it my Dad is giving me access to his pole barn full of wood. I also have standing seam roof panels and wall sheets that I saved from work a few years ago. The only items that I need to purchase, other than the concrete, will be some hardware and beer for the buddies. :clap: Any ideas on how to install the posts or treat the barn beams would be greatly appreciated.

Commerical wood preservative is readily available. The guys brushed it on my new sill beams before they were installed. As long as the wood is solid, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

One of the guys that helped me wanted make forms and pour piers and then attach the 6x6s to them. Put J bolt anchors in the piers while they're wet so that you have a pin sticking out of the pier. Drill a hole in the bottom of the posts and set them on the pins. After the building is done, drill holes in the piers, install inserts and use a piece of big angle to bolt the pier to the posts.

I don't know if that's "right" or not, but that's now he did his big barn.

Ian

I used these spikes for my small lean-to, I guess if you wanted to go the extra mile you could fab them up and get them hot dip galvanised but 4x4 was fine for my needs.
Keeps the post dry and suspended.
fence-post-7.gif

I used the spike type and poured concrete around them.

I just used these on my woodshed. Post bases from Simpson. The j hook in the concrete as Ian described would work great to bolt them down or if you have a pad like I did, drill a whole, hammer in a concrete anchor and bolt these post bases down then set the post in and nail or screw it down. Holds the wood 1" off the ground. There are a couple different styles but all function basically the same....google post bases, simpson seems to have the most selection.

047e-2009.gif

Most of those logs were free from a tornado that came thru this summer. They needed to get milled up before they dried out much more. Besides, I needed the practice, still learning all the tricks of my new Woodmizer.
We had an odd dog board(last one left on the mill) every now and then that the thickness was not consistant(hourglass, wedge etc). I posted it over on the Forestry Forum and the consensus is tension in the log. To avoid it, we should have been turning the log more as we cut. All in all it was a great day!

RD

I will just repeat myself M7 this is a formidable comradeship that is so welcome here on AS! Honor to whom it deserves!

Thanks 7!

GiX, most barns around here had the posts sitting on a large flat rock(really) and they are 50-75 years old. A lot have fallen down, but it's not the post that was the weak point, it was the original owners kids that inherited the property and never replaced the tin on the roof(s). Once the roof was breeched, water got in and that was it. I think setting them on piers is fine as long as they stay dry. It's a shame to see 50x100' two story barns falling down because of neglect.
There was a thread here someplace that showed post rotting from sitting directly on concrete. Concrete holds moisture, so get some ashphalt shingles and set each post on one or two shingles to form a barrier......problem solved....at least in your lifetime....or until your kids inherit it ......:cheers:

RD

Thank you for all of the input. Sorry that I kind of hijacked your thread Ian, but seeing your wood shed got my wheels turning a little. I was originally thinking of using a bracket similar to Slick's example, but the ones I have seen do not elevate the post. I like the fact that the post doesn't actually sit on the concrete with Slick's example. I'm sure it wouldn't be a bad idea to source some commercial wood preservative as well. Thanks again guys.

Also sorry to hijack Ian :) but i also like that the simpson's bolt things down and are pretty darn strong, I can't imagine post just sitting on a piece of concrete...doesn't take much to accidentally tap that out of alignment. Think I paid 10 bucks for the 4x6 simpson's I just used

Latest posts

Back