Finally bought a bucket truck..with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, that's gotta hurt. Anything I own, after say 8, 10, 20 years is gonna look better than when I got it. I love my stuff.

+ 1 I can't say I have not scratched one or even a small dent but I will fix it and it will look good as new. I remember once I backed into a hidden stump and dented the hitch channel boss kept saying don't worry it is not hurting nothing I stomped around some salvage yards and came in on Saturday and torch and welder and a couple hours had it good as new:cheers:

attachment.php

Here is a pict of a truck I ran across on an est. that I took a pict of. This truck was nearly perfect about 8 years ago. I know who owns it but I am not saying.

Wow ,I know buckets get dings ,and scrapes,but somebody is sure pizz poor with their abilities.
Makes you wonder if they do that much damage on their job sites.

Ya gotta worry that in this economic climate....this is what Joe Public will be looking for and THINK he is saving money and making the right choice.

attachment.php

Here is a pict of a truck I ran across on an est. that I took a pict of. This truck was nearly perfect about 8 years ago. I know who owns it but I am not saying.

Wow..all I can say is WOW..please tell me that truck is not still used on a job..I will be the sole operator of my truck..so..any damage to equipment will obviously come out of MY pocket to fix. I take immaculate care of my stuff, and will demand my future employees do the same. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to get the cab guard put on before I even take it out on the 1st job.

As a side note..I have been considering making a clause in my employees contracts that makes them monetarily responsible for blatant negligence to equipment. I have done a little research into the laws here in Ohio, and I cant find anything that would prevent me from doing so. My idea in the whole thing is..it'll make them think twice before they do something that might damage something..I understand freak stuff happens to all of us..but..a guy that does something he knows isn't right just to save some time makes him accountable for their actions..I don't know..its just an idea..

Wow..all I can say is WOW..please tell me that truck is not still used on a job..I will be the sole operator of my truck..so..any damage to equipment will obviously come out of MY pocket to fix. I take immaculate care of my stuff, and will demand my future employees do the same. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to get the cab guard put on before I even take it out on the 1st job.

As a side note..I have been considering making a clause in my employees contracts that makes them monetarily responsible for blatant negligence to equipment. I have done a little research into the laws here in Ohio, and I cant find anything that would prevent me from doing so. My idea in the whole thing is..it'll make them think twice before they do something that might damage something..I understand freak stuff happens to all of us..but..a guy that does something he knows isn't right just to save some time makes him accountable for their actions..I don't know..its just an idea..

No, that truck is no longer running, but pict. was taken on a job last summer.

Not a bad idea with the contract clause, however it would probably just end up in court anyway. More chance of being successful tho. Usually it will be the case of "not being able to get blood out of a stone though.

I got to try her out on a 70ft silver maple removal last month and it worked like a dream...ya..for sure I wish it had a longer reach..but..for the price..I couldn't turn it down..
So..until mid-May..I am at a Marine Corps school on an Army base in Missouri getting among other things..my 50 ton crane operators license.

Until I get home..obviously I won't be doing any business with it..and..rumor has it..I'm going back to Iraq this summer..so...might not be using her until next yr sometime..it's ok..it'll just give me a chance to sock away a ton of money so I can come home and buy a bunch more gear and equipment..

Whats the reach on her?

I have heard you can get these old telephone compnay buckets in 60'.. is that right?

They're much more common in 45-50' though.

So, you can pull this back into small driveways and everything I bet. I've heard they're great for that! :cheers:

I got to try her out on a 70ft silver maple removal last month and it worked like a dream...ya..for sure I wish it had a longer reach..but..for the price..I couldn't turn it down..
So..until mid-May..I am at a Marine Corps school on an Army base in Missouri getting among other things..my 50 ton crane operators license.

Until I get home..obviously I won't be doing any business with it..and..rumor has it..I'm going back to Iraq this summer..so...might not be using her until next yr sometime..it's ok..it'll just give me a chance to sock away a ton of money so I can come home and buy a bunch more gear and equipment..

Wolverine,

do you use the material handler on your boom? If so, do you think the extra bulk in the boom impedes your work at all? Would you rather have a boom without a MH or are you glad you have it?

Wolverine,

do you use the material handler on your boom? If so, do you think the extra bulk in the boom impedes your work at all? Would you rather have a boom without a MH or are you glad you have it?

He gave up treework and went into another line of work.

Lookin' good - :clap: I worked out of trucks similar to that for years with the power co. Just a word of caution on the boomtip winch - You need to know what the weight you're picking is, over the years I saw & read where some failed. At least one the jib snapped on, a few others it was the Sampsonbraid rope. When they let go, the upper boom reacts in the opposite direction, real fast. One guy was ejected, no harness, and sadly didn't make it.
yep, happened to 2 old timers i know. one destroyed his back; the other was hoisting off the ground & was relatively unscathed.

Guys,
I use a 55' altec quite often on jobs that I can get it to. Sometimes I have to lay plywood on the yard to get near a tree. My local tire man asked me something the other day that I have been considering lately, but wanted some other opinions first. Instead of 4 tires on the back axle, what about getting wheels and tires that are wide? Kind of like mini monster truck tires. Maybe 24" wide, normal height though. Seems like this would lower the ground pressure put on the turf and maybe plywood or mats wouldn't be necessary. Sorry if this is a re-post. Any thoughts?

Guys,
I use a 55' altec quite often on jobs that I can get it to. Sometimes I have to lay plywood on the yard to get near a tree. My local tire man asked me something the other day that I have been considering lately, but wanted some other opinions first. Instead of 4 tires on the back axle, what about getting wheels and tires that are wide? Kind of like mini monster truck tires. Maybe 24" wide, normal height though. Seems like this would lower the ground pressure put on the turf and maybe plywood or mats wouldn't be necessary. Sorry if this is a re-post. Any thoughts?
that would be one expensive tire to replace.

Back