Finally broke down and ordered a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could add my 2 cents do not stack the wood in the shed. Leave it out in the sun as long as possible to help it dry. If you put it right in the shed, it will ot get a chance to dry at all. Also, at least one split would make a big difference. I am a first year myself but got lucky to work with someone who has worked with wood his entire life.
S

Hey that reminds me of another question I had. I was of the same opinion that leaving it out in the weather would help dry it out and that it would be better in the short term to leave it open to rain as it would help the weathering process. However my dad insists that it must be covered whenever it rains or it won't dry out properly. I have had a load of white pine and fir sitting out in the open for about a month now and I can tell by the feel that the white pine has lost a ton of weight and feels pretty dry compared to when i split 2-3 weeks ago. Could anyone answer that one for me. If you just want it dried out as fast as possible (1 or 2 months) is it best to leave it out in the open and not cover it, or should you cover it whenever it rains?

You will hear both ways on it getting wet. I am told that just like skin, when it gets wet and as it dries, it will dry the skin with it. I feel it is the same for wood. Let it get wet and as it warms out in the sun, it will help pull the sap out. I hope this helps you and have a great heating season.:givebeer:

Keep it off the ground as much as possible and on palets or blocks.

It'd be ok to cover it, but only the top. Old sheets of plywood, old doors, small tarps etc. would do the job. Top only keeps most of the rain out of the stack, but allows wind to blow through and sun to get at it to dry it out.

If seasoning for a year though, I wouldn't even bother covering the top until just before you move it to your wood shed.

two good saws

go to the chain saw forum and read about the 290 stihl and the 455 husqvarna, the stihl has a few more cc's and about 30 to 40 dollars less. good luck and enjoy the new saw...:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back