Should I raise the price of my firewood bags?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am located in Northern Virginia and I have wood available in loose stacks of 1/16 cord for $20, and 1/32 cord for $10 as well as bags and bundles of 1 cubic foot for $5 dollars each. I am thinking of making bundles cost $5 and bags cost $8. I get 100 bags at Uline for $70, and ALL of my wood is also dry and comes with free firestarters. Is this change justified?20230822_180253 (1).jpg

I am located in Northern Virginia and I have wood available in loose stacks of 1/16 cord for $20, and 1/32 cord for $10 as well as bags and bundles of 1 cubic foot for $5 dollars each. I am thinking of making bundles cost $5 and bags cost $8. I get 100 bags at Uline for $70, and ALL of my wood is also dry and comes with free firestarters. Is this change justified?View attachment 1107022

You could always try and see how it goes.

How are you determining that you actually have 1/16 and 1/32 cord? It was my understanding that a cord was supposed to be "tightly" stacked. Those stacks don't look like 1/16 and 1/32 of a cord regardless.

How are you determining that you actually have 1/16 and 1/32 cord? It was my understanding that a cord was supposed to be "tightly" stacked. Those stacks don't look like 1/16 and 1/32 of a cord regardless.
Because I measured the comparments they are stored in.

I think you are giving folks too much selection. I like the bag idea but there cost is high. In my area most of your campers and fire pit folks are cheap. Most of the stores in this area are around just under seven dollars a wrapped bundle. So to get folks to make another stop you need to be cheaper. I would push the wrapped bundles. Every area is different.

I would scrap the cord percentage designation and just go by sqft. 1sqft bundles, 2sqft bundle, etc. That's what I see in the stores. nobody posts a cord percentage...would probably scare buyers off, lol, as the price/cord becomes easier to figure out. $5/sqft = $640/cord. CalOak in California sells 1sqft boxes for $10-12. 2sqft, last time I was there, ran $19.
One friend who sold to local stores used banana, lettuce and other produce boxes he got for free. He did have to cut his rounds exactly to size to tightly pack the boxes.
His 1sqft boxes were sold for $8 at the store...don't remember what he sold them for, wholesale.

I would scrap the cord percentage designation and just go by sqft. 1sqft bundles, 2sqft bundle, etc. That's what I see in the stores. nobody posts a cord percentage...would probably scare buyers off, lol, as the price/cord becomes easier to figure out. $5/sqft = $640/cord. CalOak in California sells 1sqft boxes for $10-12. 2sqft, last time I was there, ran $19.
One friend who sold to local stores used banana, lettuce and other produce boxes he got for free. He did have to cut his rounds exactly to size to tightly pack the boxes.
His 1sqft boxes were sold for $8 at the store...don't remember what he sold them for, wholesale.
I see. looks like I will be out there with my sander and paint tonight.

Most of the bagged firewood I've seen were by sq ft/bag.

I am located in Northern Virginia and I have wood available in loose stacks of 1/16 cord for $20, and 1/32 cord for $10 as well as bags and bundles of 1 cubic foot for $5 dollars each. I am thinking of making bundles cost $5 and bags cost $8. I get 100 bags at Uline for $70, and ALL of my wood is also dry and comes with free firestarters. Is this change justified?View attachment 1107022
Hey man I live in Washington state and for me I buy the 1 cu/ft bags and I sell them $5 a bag. But I also supply a gas station in my town and they sell like crazy year round. Since the gas station sells so many of my bags I cut price to $2.50 and that's still $320 a cord. But subtract the $70 for the bags and the other 28 bundle with plastic wrap. You only get 100 bags and there is 128 cu/ft in a cord. It's all trial and error don't be scared to try new things. If something works run with it.

Ok.

I sell bundles for $4 to my local hardware store. He resells for $6 or $7. But it takes a lot of hassle off of me that way.
Every area is different.
Hmm... I am thinking of finding distributors like a local small engine place that does not already have firewood. But I have no idea where else besides a local gas station that I am not sure wants to sell firewood, but they know me there because I am often riding my bike up there to fill my canisters with fuel for my mower and saws. I also have sold 4 bundles in the last week which I hope will segway me into the firewood season. Do you have any ideas for places I could sell my wood to pleasure burners?

Gas stations are a well known place to pick up small amounts of firewood. As they fill their cars with gas, they have the time to look right at you firewood stand and buy.

Gas station, grocery stores, hardware stores are your best bets. I sent a letter to every one of those in my area but never snagged anyone. The hardware store owner and one gas station owner were already friends of mine.
But I don’t want to do more than what I already have. It’s enough for me.
But I hope to expand my repertoire and sell Swedish candles. Got 50 cedar ones drying. Will be ready next year.

IMG_1325.png

Hmm... I am thinking of finding distributors like a local small engine place that does not already have firewood. But I have no idea where else besides a local gas station that I am not sure wants to sell firewood, but they know me there because I am often riding my bike up there to fill my canisters with fuel for my mower and saws. I also have sold 4 bundles in the last week which I hope will segway me into the firewood season. Do you have any ideas for places I could sell my wood to pleasure burners?
How old are you? Thats a real question. You sound young enough for me to applaud for your efforts. Its like a paper route in the '50's - '80's........Either sell on volume, or on price. One says you are committed, to your customers, cutting, packing, and delivering, firewood? ....for life.
The other says, If you can't afford it, someone else will......"

You also need to consider what other people are doing in your area. We have a local guy that started selling nice bundles for $10, most in the area are $5. I drive by pretty often on the way to work, he sells a few on Friday but seldom any other time. I assume anyone who drives by regularly knows of cheaper places. I built a firewood stand, built a shrink wrapper and have 5 cords of ash cut, split and dried ready to go but not sure I want the hassle yet. I think I might put some out this long weekend just to see if I want to bother with it next year.

Attachments

• 20230726_165923.jpg
    20230726_165923.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back