Finally got a dremel, amazing little tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Family got me a Dremel tool for Christmas, and had some fun playing with it today. I started to clean up the rust on one of my mufflers, what attachment is best for removing rust? The wire wheels are next to useless, but the abrasive buff wheels do a pretty good job. Anything better?

Family got me a Dremel tool for Christmas, and had some fun playing with it today. I started to clean up the rust on one of my mufflers, what attachment is best for removing rust? The wire wheels are next to useless, but the abrasive buff wheels do a pretty good job. Anything better?

I don't use mine much, but when you need one, you really need one! I don't seem to have much use for those little wire wheels either (they throw their tines!), but a regular drill does just fine with a wire brush attachment. One of the really great things about them is that hardware stores sometimes have entire sections of bits and attachments. I say hit Home Depot and have a look at the selection, I'm betting you'll find something good.

i keep a wire wheel in my drillpress for these tasks, on a slower speed you can do a good job of cleaning a piece before working on it....

I don't use mine much, but when you need one, you really need one! I don't seem to have much use for those little wire wheels either (they throw their tines!), but a regular drill does just fine with a wire brush attachment. One of the really great things about them is that hardware stores sometimes have entire sections of bits and attachments. I say hit Home Depot and have a look at the selection, I'm betting you'll find something good.

Almost all hardware stores seem to have the same setup. I guess they are pretty popular for homeowners who want one tool to do everything. I resisted for many years to get one, but with my current space limitations it is a very nice compromise. :)

i keep a wire wheel in my drillpress for these tasks, on a slower speed you can do a good job of cleaning a piece before working on it....
Sandblast cabinet.
Pioneerguy600

Pipe dreams. :cheers:

Hope to have both when I get a real house and more space. All the tools in the world at my parents and in-laws but they are 1000 miles away.

Cant live without the dremel. Use it almost every day. And Home Depot has a great selection of acc. to go along with it.:clap:

That and for more aggressive work a wire wheel on an angle grinder is pretty much what I use to strip rust.

We're a 3 dremel family, son has basic model for his warhammer miniatures, SWMBO has a cordless for her jewelry work and I have one with a flexy shaft on it.

For less than $25 you can have a decent sand blaster that would remove all the rust off the muffler in minutes. As far as the dremmel the coarse cup wire brush would probably be your best bet. I love the tiny cut off discs/wheels. You can do some precision cutting with them.

really? under $25?

For less than $25 you can have a decent sand blaster that would remove all the rust off the muffler in minutes.

I have downloaded plans for a SB cabinet, but the gun and acc. are still more than $25.

I suppose one could make something up out of a pipe...

Congraulations on the Dremel, a tool every man should own (or at least that's what family members think makes a good gift :)) Wallyworld has a nice kit of accessories for about $20, I'd rather go to Home Depot. There is a lot you can do with them & are very useful.

though not for heavy rust, there is a cup shaped stainless wire brush that will polish metals nicely. although the wires lay down after a while they still work.

the bit you are really after is at sears. it's about 1 1/2 inch long, 1/8 thick and has a fine, sharp carbide spiral fluting on the shank.
it'll make jreds sing!!!

btw:
xylem is old news. phloem is where it's at baby!
:cheers:

Thanks again guys, lots of good info in this thread. The links that MMfaller posted has way too much stuff to process at one time. :)

Don't plan on doing much detail work, just as a general tool. I don't have a lot of space where I am now, so it will be attempting to do the job of a grinder, sander, maybe a router, and other tools I don't have room for. I generally like to have the appropriate tools rather than a tool that can do everything so-so, but that is life I guess. Can't have everything.

When I originally turned it on I was expecting more power, not that it is lacking, but just expected to feel more torque on the unit. The model i have is the 300 something series, not the small one but not the biggest one either.

though not for heavy rust, there is a cup shaped stainless wire brush that will polish metals nicely. although the wires lay down after a while they still work.

the bit you are really after is at sears. it's about 1 1/2 inch long, 1/8 thick and has a fine, sharp carbide spiral fluting on the shank.
it'll make jreds sing!!!

btw:
xylem is old news. phloem is where it's at baby!
:cheers:

I have that brush, but didn't work too well for the muffler i have. It is quite rusted with some pot marks, but still in good shape. The wire wheel only removed the surface rust, the buff wheel took it down to bare, shiny metal.

No porting here, I prefer my JReds to be virgins.

Phloem is sweet! (get it?)

Yeah, got 2 or 3 of them. Had that adapter to sharpen chains for a while, used it once or twice did not care for it. Although the battery operated is nice for those that want to carry them into the woods. I am sure some people get them to work just fine, just not me.

So...one day my buddy is going thru my toolbox, says he wants to borrow the dremel and this little grinding wheel....what for? He only tells me he wants to grind something, so I say sure take it. Couple weeks go by, needing that dremel to make some carb cutting adjustments, go by his house to get it. The grinding wheel is completeley covered in some acryllic plastic goop that I can't get off or remove.
Call him up later on (just to BS and harass him) his wife said he's not home, I said well tell him I'm mad at him for ruining my grinding stone on my dremel...she says DREMEL? I thought that was a dentist drill.:jawdrop:

Yup, apparently he got new dentures, and he was making them fit better on a daily basis.

Back