Finally lucked into a bargain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You suck!

Get the green machine going, too, neat old saws. I ran one for around two years as my one saw plan...oiler didn't work, I didn't work on saws then, so I just hand oiled it every other cut! hahahah!
Hey, whatever it takes to get the wood on the ground! And it sure beats sawing by hand!

Redmax/green machine saws are nice saws if they can be fixed. Don't discount the potential for other things to be locking up the rotation of the engine BESIDES the cylinder. I can't count how many times ive heard "it's locked up and it was a recoil problem or a stick jammed in there or some other odd problem that was an easy fix.

Redmax/green machine saws are nice saws if they can be fixed. Don't discount the potential for other things to be locking up the rotation of the engine BESIDES the cylinder. I can't count how many times ive heard "it's locked up and it was a recoil problem or a stick jammed in there or some other odd problem that was an easy fix.

I'll second the Redmax vote. The Redmax 400/4000 is one hot little saw. I LOVE running mine. This past Sunday I was cutting with a guy running a Husky 351 and he was drooling over my Ryobi 10532 (same as a Redmax 400) - he asked if I had another I'd sell him. The Ryobi spanked a Stihl MS290 the week before. Admittedly, both guys saws weren't tuned perfectly with a sharp chain, but it was still really amusing to see the Ryobi kicking butt on the bigger Stihl and Husky.

That green machine is a far cry from a modern Red Max saw. I would compare it more to an old Craftsman Roper saw. Still a cool find. By the looks of the chain on it it could just need a blast of croil and a good cleaning. I've gotten a few locked up saws running in an evening without buying any parts.

I worked for a guy who had several Green Machine weed beaters and those things were beaten merciliously and ke[t going. Both are cool finds.

Update on the "Redgreen-max".
I pulled the B&C off, soaked bar sprocket overnight in MMO and freed up the next day with light tapping, seems to be usable.
Pulled the recoil off and the rope was pinched on itself, freed that up and it works just fine now.
Put recoil back on and saw, it turned right over and seems to have a lot of compression, there is no spark however, that's as far as I have gotten so far.

Some later Green Machine saws were Zenoah/RedMax, but that appears to be a 7200 or 7400 - I think it was made by Shindaiwa or Tanaka. Maybe Echo?

Back