finally modded the 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Copied others design of the double barrel.
I made mine exhaust between the dawgs. for a little bit of away from bar look.
Talk about some thin metal.. That muffler is thin as a postage stamp.I had my mig set as low and as slow as it would go and I still made holes.
Tip for filling in a hole. Take a pice of 1/2 inch copper pipe, smash the ned flat about 1 inch back. beat a little radius into it. Then hold it against the hole and weld. The copper will not take the weld but will allow the weld to puddle on top of the copper.Caution. the copper will get HOT

http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/dolmar_mods

Eric,

I use a TIG welder for this type of small work. I know, not everyone has a TIG set-up, but if you are going to work on saws. They are nice to have. Imagine welding up a broken case, cylinder fins, flywheel fins and aluminum starter housings on those fun old saws.

Also, starting with a brand new muffler helps, the metal doesn't have deposits and residue that will make your welder pop and cause holes due to an un-shielded arc.

with my MIG on the real thin stuff, I run it all the way down, then plug it in going through 2, 100 ft extension cords. works for me.
-Ralph

I used to have access to a tig.

But I quit that job after 11 years , to go into business for myself. I sell and install vinyl replacement windows now..

begleytree said:
with my MIG on the real thin stuff, I run it all the way down, then plug it in going through 2, 100 ft extension cords. works for me.
-Ralph

ouch. do the cords ever get warm? I have a miller 200 with the spot panel. I can dial the system down to weld body panels on modern cars...thin stuff.

DOLMARatOs said:
ouch. do the cords ever get warm? I have a miller 200 with the spot panel. I can dial the system down to weld body panels on modern cars...thin stuff.
never noticed them getting warm. mines a lincoln electric model something,cant remember. with me and the thin stuff, it's never anything huge,just a few spots.
-Ralph

Much as I like my MIG - brazing is handier on the thin stuff and looks much better to boot. You can probably do it w/ MAPP but Oxy/Acetylene is quicker.

Brazing does a better job for me than my Miller 175 with .023 even though the 175 has infinite adjustment (so to speak).

Chaser

begleytree said:
-Ralph
Hey begleytree, Being you say you can weld the thin stuff. Can you weld the aluminum top handles were someone has cracked (broken) one 75% of the way through on a partner 5000 saw.
Also have you ran any modded saws to compare to, if I can load my modded7901 power head in the family car for thanksgiving trip. You do have a large husky mount bar and chain to throw on if I can bring it so you can run it?
If you can do the welding of the aluminum top handle, I will bring it too. I still behind the times on the welding game, only a stick welder still.

hey Cut, I cant use the MIG on aluminum. it wont work. need a tig for that.
PM answered
-Ralph

I ran a couple of tanks through her today

I noticed it had lots more mojo.I ran it for about five minutes then pulled the plug, nice carhart tan color.right on the money for air fuel mixture.
I seem to be running out of bar oil before gas. is there a way to slow the oil down just a tad?I notice it is oiling plenty heavy by watching the oil on a log infront of my nose when cutting. Thanks, And of course I have not read the manual.

there is an adjustable screw on the bottom of the saw, on the clutch side of the saw. I think clockwise is max oiler output and counterclockwise is less oil output. My 7900 on max leaves about 1/4 to 1/8 tank of oil left when the fuel is empty.

Thanks Steve

I will give a look at it in the am after I climb back down from the tree stand. The son and I watched two very respectable bucks this am.a six and possibly a ten pointer.The ten came up directly behind us in the fog. We could only watch as no way to get a gun aimed at him.Then the six came in from our far right and slightly behind.. I had my sights on him for only two seconds before he stepped out of the window of oppurtunity.he stepped down into a creek branch , then of course walked away from us.

hey Cut, I cant use the MIG on aluminum. it wont work. need a tig for that.

You can MIg aluminum. Just use aluminum wire. Spoolguns are not always necessary unless you have a wire feed problem.

also, when using aluminum in a mig, it is a good idea to use a seperate liner just for the aluminum wire. the copper wire leaves deposits that the aluminum wire picks up and makes for sometimes less than desirable welding. Nothing like a Tig, but it works.

Back