Finally saw another 572xp...and ran it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got picked up with Fillmore Industries for a 7wk stint in the Lake Fontana area of NC, and they run Huskies!! More importantly, they have 572s!
Mostly hickory and maple. Some ash and soft gumwood. Largest was 28", smallest harvested wood was about 16".
I gotta say, I was underwhelmed again. It's a great 70cc saw. Absolutely on point with the peak power of a 372..but without that rolling, and almost tunable, torque band. That feathered grunt.
I'm not saying the 372 is torquey, but the 572 doesn't want to roll into cuts....at all. It can be done, but if there's a knot or scar, forget it. It bogs and free revs like crazy.
I'm sure it's a learning curve.
I own a 462c, and really want the 572xp to be everything it isn't. But it is not.
Weight is definitely noticable between the two and so is the throttle response. Sure, sure, I'm a skinny greenhorn. But humping the difference between a 2095 and a 2071 is noticeable... So is the difference between the 572 and 462. Pounds.
I guess my summary is;
The Husky 572xp feels like a proper 70cc saw. It has firm weight, and good power. It growls, and has a predictable power curve, though it isn't very manipulatable.
The Stihl feels like a 60cc that's ported to self destruction, yet it lasts. Throttle response and power to weight are class defining.
Both crave chainspeed. The Husky seems to chug a slow chain better, but throttle adjustments are almost foolhardy. The Stihl wants to go fast and with chainspeed, it pulls hard into the cut.
Bars above 28" would definitely be a game changer in favor of the Husky. But us right coasters rarely put much larger than a 28" on a 70cc.
All in all I wish I had a Husky dealer still open in my area. Great saw. I'd love to run one with a quality porting.

Latest posts

Back