Gave some saws a go...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMG3X

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been doing a lot of thinning lately in good ol' Montana. Been using the 036 with a 25" till I figure out what to do with my blown 365XT. Everything was going smooth with the 036 till the oiler went out, so had to grab the companies 441 timber saw.

A.Ran approx. 18 hrs on the 441 w/ 28" ultralite and here are my thoughts on the saw:
1. Quite a bit more heavy/bulky than 440's that I've used in the past. Definitely more cumbersome than the 036/361's.
2. Nice to have a 70cc saw for thinning when the prescription requires clearing larger trees; 441 made quick work of a large stand of lodgepole.
3. Has a very different feel motorwise than what I'm use to. Main notice was how smooth the power curve was, though not quite as peppy in the low end as 372XT's. My first thought of the sound and power delivery was of a snowmobile for some reason.
4. Restart after loss of fuel was very easy 1-2 pulls every time and considerably better fuel economy than 440's.
5. Anti-vibe was great.

B. Gave a 562XP w/ 28" a go: thoughts:
1. Light and compact, great for reaching around limbs in close thinning quarters.
2. Considerably more power than the 360 series. Smooth curve and excellent throttle response.
3. Pulled great with a 28". Mainly cut trees at a max of 9" DBH, though took a shot at some 20" dead wood and noticed no hesitation.
4. Some difficulty starting post tank, though am not familiar with the priming procedure.
5. Anti-vibe was the best.

Overall:
562 hit the spot considering the application of work that I'm in. 441 gave me quite a workout, but was a hell of a saw!
I'm considering picking up a 562XP and rebuilding my 365XT on the side (worn out piston and blown big end crank bearing).

What are yall's thoughts?

Why are running a 28" bar in predominantly 9" wood?? Seems like way more bar than needed. I find the 562 maxed out with a 20" bar. Doesn't seems to balanced out well even with a 24" never mind a 28"

Funny, that was what I was going to ask too. I run an 18" on my 360s and it's not too bad. If I really put it in the wood it will stall in the cut pretty easy though.

Why are running a 28" bar in predominantly 9" wood?? Seems like way more bar than needed. I find the 562 maxed out with a 20" bar. Doesn't seems to balanced out well even with a 24" never mind a 28"

What does the west coast have to do with bar length... Tree species and hardness of wood?
Or was that a joke I missed haha

I think it's mostly wood species and corresponding density. I'm sure part of it is culture, though. Out there you see people running 25" bars on 60 or even 50cc saws. In the Midwest or out East you'll see people running 16" on 50cc saws and you'll even see 20" on a 90cc saw.

For me, a longer bar is not easier on the back, a lighter saw is. I really enjoy shorter bars and won't put anything longer than a 20" on my ms460 unless it's actually needed, i.e. wood over 22 inches. For limbing, give me a 50cc saw with a 16" bar.

On going discussion, east half if your in 40" timber they say 660 w/ 20" bar and probably a half wrap. West coast it would be a 36/42", square chisel skip, big dawgs , big clutch cover and at least a 3/4 wrap. Hell I run a 28" on my 026. Ken

The 562 balances almost perfectly with the 24in Tsumura L&T. It is 1/4 lb. lighter than the Husqvarna 24in.

Ryan it's really a combination of timber and terrain. Most of the west is softwood and mountainous with some very steep logging. Steep ground and production lead to longer bars, it's just unsafe to use short bars in most of our timber. Ken

Again from the west coast, I run 24" bars on my 65's typically.. I have one with a 28 but it's been *really* reworked, and a 20" hard nose on the stock saw. The stock saw only sees light duty stuff, brush clearing, etc... the others are so much more powerful I use them a lot more

Ya the ponderosa, Lodgepole, and fur cut really soft do 28" on a 60cc seems to work just fine. Plus work units upwards of 5000 stems/acre so it's nice to not bend or squat those extra 8 or so inches

Ya the ponderosa, Lodgepole, and fur cut really soft do 28" on a 60cc seems to work just fine. Plus work units upwards of 5000 stems/acre so it's nice to not bend or squat those extra 8 or so inches

Yeah this is very true... a saw with nice balance with a 28" bar can be very handy, esp with a full wrap.

Back