Two Saw Plan Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. Dionne

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Posting under the chainsaw section aswell.

Hey guys, just registered on the site; this is my first post.

Been spending some time using the search button and absorbing all the info I can.

Grew up cutting firewood for the home with dad’s ole Pro Mac 610. That’s all we had and that’s all I ran till I moved away after tech school a few years ago.

Since then, I’ve been doing a bit more cutting. Used to use 3 cord per winter for the home. Dad did most of the cutting with us splitting and stacking.

Now, my soon-to-be-father in law uses 6 cord, and the fiancée’s uncle uses between 80 and 100 cord (average of 8 cords per month depending on the year) for the dairy farm. On the weekends during the dormant season, I work with my full time farmer/part time logger friend cutting stumpage.

In between working in the woods and my day job my buddy and I try to help out with the firewood on the dairy farm as much as we can. This all said to say that in a given year, I myself might cut about 30 cords of firewood and depending on the market, as much 60 cord off the stump for the mills.

My Fiancée and I hope to buy a local farm in the next couple of years. If this happens there is a good chance logging will become part of my job title.

Through all this, I have just been using whatever saw the folks I was working for/with had. Dad has a Pro Mac 610, my father in law has a Husky 350 and a Stihl 026, the dairy farm has a Husqvarna 575, my buddy has a Husky 575, a Husky 350 and a J-Red 2165.

The 575s work great felling and in the firewood pile. The 350 and 026 has been a nice saw to do the limbing.

With all the woods work as of late, I think it’s time I pick-up a couple saws of my own. I’m looking to fill a 2-saw plan with a smaller saw(50cc range) for light work/limbing and a larger saw (70cc range) for felling and cutting firewood.

I live on the east coast in northern Maine so we have quite a mix of woods from cedar to sugar maple and Hornbeam but nothing of any massive size. There are some old white pines, spruce, oak, maple and yellow birch that can get into the 3ft. diameter range but for the most part 12” to 24” butts are what I am working with.

Again, I have been using the search function as well as talking with some of the loggers. Around here Stihl, Husqvarna and Jonsered are the soul players.

Dolmar does not have any following, as there is no dealer in the northern half of the state, don’t know about the southern end though.

There aren’t nearly as many fallers anymore as most outfits in this area have been mechanized for some time. But in there day, most fallers say they were either using a Husqvarna 372, 272, or Stihl 044, 046 or J-red 670s. I was also told that Jonsered became very popular 15 years ago but toward the end of the there days, many fallers were going back to Husqvarna and Stihl. It seems to be that Husqvarna is the most popular around here.

So with what the loggers are saying and what I am reading on this site here are the options I have been thinking about.

Stihl:
MS260 (Quoted $550.0 w/18” bar)
MS440 if I can find one
MS460 (Quoted $850.00 w/20” bar)

Husqvarna:
346XP NE
372XPW
575XP
576XP

Now for the questions:
1. What is the difference in a Stihl saw with the old numbering and the new numbering, i.e.: 026vs260 and 046vs460? What changed in the saw to warrant the new badging? If there was a brand new 046 and a brand new MS460 on the shelf which one would you take and why, hypothetically?

2. The 026 I ran has a problem eating the forward rubber mount/bushing. Every few cord of firewood, the forward bushing is torn. The new bushings have been sitting around a while and could very well be dry rotted. I’m sure overfilling the bar oil and it running on the bushing doesn’t help either. Looking at the dealer, all the Stihls I looked at had these rubber mounts. Is it a common problem to go through mounts in the larger saws like the 460?

3. I don’t want to start a fight, but from what I am seeing, Stihl carries a higher price than Husky. Is this just because of the name or is there an actual tangible difference between the two, either quality or whatever. Of the two, which tends to be lower maintenance?

4. From what I read, people prefer the 346xp over the MS260, yet no reasons were given. Why is the 346XP thought to be a better saw? I see it has more power, a decompression button and an adjustable oiler but are there any other reasons folks prefer the 346XP to the 260. Short of the power ratings, the 346 looks to be more on par with the 260 pro because of the adjustable oiler and decompression. Is the biggest advantage due to the 346 costing less than the 260?

5. How important or how much does the quality of the dealer and service department influence the sales. We have two Stihl dealers in the area. Both are owned by the same outfit. One is right in town. The other is an hour away. The local is not an authorized repair facility. They told me they are supposed to send the saws up to the northern shop for repair because they are not Stihl certified. However, they will do any not internal work and stock a good inventory of parts and accessories. However, the local opinion on the local shop is that service they do is subpar and the salesman, servicemen are not the most honest people. We have a local Logging supply/saw shop who deals primarily in Husky and Jonsered. Plenty of parts on hand, great guy, honest words and great service. I’m told that he can order Stihl as he used to stock them and is still listed as a dealer but now has little inventory of Stihl saws or parts on hand. I was told that he went away from Stihl because he got tired of the constant small problems like cracked fuel and oil tanks, broken handles, screws falling out and stuff like that. I have not heard this from the horse’s mouth though. When I get a chance I will pay him a visit and pick his brain.

6. I don’t see any publicized max rpm ratings on the Stihl stuff. What is the max rpm of the Stihl MS260 and MS460?

Too sum this all up, I’m looking for two saws, one 50cc range saw and one 70cc range saw, for weekly use during the dormant season. Saws will be used to process roughly 30 cord of mixed hardwood firewood and to process roughly 60 cords for the mill on a yearly basis. There are still some big guys left in the 3ft diameter range but most of the work will be in the 12” to 24” range.

The small saw will be used mainly for limbing and felling smaller wood or when working in the nasty terrain where the big saw can be a bit cumbersome to pack.

The big saw will be used in the firewood pile, felling the larger timber, and bucking the trees into logs for the mill. It’ll end up doing some limbing as well. Out in the woods, I’m looking for a saw that will pull a 20”-24” chain well and cut well. In the pile I want a saw that is going to give me good production. In the pile weight is not such an issue as it is out in the woods for me. Just want a saw that’s gonna cut with good speed.

Both saws will probably end up with modified mufflers and maybe a little polish work in the ports but that’s it.

The main goal is two saws that are going to run well, start when I need them to and serve their intended purpose to my satisfaction.

Money does come into play, here as well. I really like the feel of the Stihl 026 I ran. I also like the feel of the MS460. The weight distribution seems more natural for me than does the Husky’s I have run. However, the more I run the Huskys the less I am noticing the difference. Although I have not gotten any Husqvarna quotes yet, from what I am reading on the net, Stihl is more expensive. If this is because it is plainly a better saw than fine.

I’m looking for all the statements, advice or comments that you folks have, just please keep in mind the application and goals.

Thanks

Uncle burns 80 cords a winter? Shoot maybe you ought to get into the energy efficiency consulting biz

ak

As an arborist, I see all species of trees. Sounds like your 2 saw plan will work for now, but like all of us, you'll get the saw bug and want one more and more and more. I use all Stihl, i'll tell you that. Not because I believe they are better, because the local shop owner is a great friend of mine. I've owned husqvarna in the 372xp and 357xp. They are great saws and great modded saws. In your case, I would recommend both husqvarna. If you're going to be cutting a lot of softwood including pine or cedar, I don't think you can beat the husky. I own the 260pro and 460magnum in the sizes you mentioned. I love the 460 to death and hate the 260. I would def. recommend the 460 but i've heard some great stuff on the new 576xp and of course the 372xp is one of the best saws ever made, imo. Consider the 346xp instead of the 260pro because of the extra power it seems to give for limbing and smaller trees. Good luck

Yes sir he does burn a lot of wood. Some necessary, some pleasure. Again, he is a dairy farmer. He has a massive central outdoor boiler. This sends heat to a decent sized house with heated basement, a 3 car bay garage, his office building, a 3 bay shop(can fit three straight job pulp trucks with plenty of room to work), the dairy, the coffee room and the in ground pool/pool house. All the wood is cut to 3ft and most of the handling is down with skid steer, including the splitting.

I apologize for the late reply but thank you for the advice. There will be 2 new saws sitting in the shop in the near future.

Last edited:
damn man where does your uncle live?
Sounds like an awesome house. If it were me i would pick up a 372 and probably a 357/359 or ms361. Those saws will do anything for you around here. Really anything less than that is going to be really too small to do alot of work your going to ask of it.

Back