Finally want an electric sharpener.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Finally think it’s time to get an electric sharpener as well as everything I need to make my own loop of chain. Things are starting to slowly pick up with my business and I can’t keep up hardly with sharpening by hand anymore.

Any recommendations?

I’m sure it’s been asked 1 million times but this is a social forum so I figured I could ask.

I did see while talking to a rep for archer chain that they have good prices on chain, spinners, and breakers, but didn’t look for anything else yet.

NSEric

NSEric

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
If you're going to use it a lot get the Oregon 620 or tecomec version of it. The hydraulic clamp looks pretty sweet for saving time and effort.
I have the cheapest mini chain grinder you can get and it's alright for the few chains I sharpen but I wouldnt recommend it for everyday use. My buddy tried it then bought the oregon 420 knock off, it's pretty good bang for the buck at 120 canadian. It seams to do a good job, its way better than the cheap plastic one. We tried a bunch of different angles and ended up liking 60/25/0 the best, just like the cheap mini grinder is set to lol.

Oregon sells tools for making chains but I have no experience with them as I dont use enough chains to bother making them.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
I'm intrigued by the Tecomec portable battery sharpener, but haven't done enough research to pull the trigger.

Are you looking for something dedicated/at a shop, or portable for the field/jobsite?
I guess shop setup first. Eventually ill want a portable get up.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
If you're going to use it a lot get the Oregon 620 or tecomec version of it. The hydraulic clamp looks pretty sweet for saving time and effort.
I have the cheapest mini chain grinder you can get and it's alright for the few chains I sharpen but I wouldnt recommend it for everyday use. My buddy tried it then bought the oregon 420 knock off, it's pretty good bang for the buck at 120 canadian. It seams to do a good job, its way better than the cheap plastic one. We tried a bunch of different angles and ended up liking 60/25/0 the best, just like the cheap mini grinder is set to lol.

Oregon sells tools for making chains but I have no experience with them as I dont use enough chains to bother making them.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
If the money is available, I’d recommend the Oregon 520. Well made. Lots of adjustability. Parts are available. Has the manual vise, which means less things which can go wrong.

I have had the earlier 511A model for years.

If money is tighter, look at the Tecomec ‘Compact’ (still a full sized, full amperage motor, with fewer features) for about $250, shipped.

I like the standard, vitreous (‘pink’) wheels.

The Archer spinner / breaker set is also a good one. Pretty much the ‘standard’ Tecomec / Oregon model, in a different color. Parts available.

These are usually ’shop tools’, but I have run a grinder off a generator in the field, when needed.

Philbert

U&A

The Millstead LLC
With these grinder you must take the chain off. Most people going to the woods time is a major factor. Break downs will happen the speed you over come them is what matters. To have a good or bad day.
Yah im looking for a home setup first so the chain comes off when I get home anyway.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Electric for me is Dremel with diamond stones and honing oil I can sharpen with a file too. To sharpen any tool takes talent. Anyone can grind the crap out of it.
I get it. Really do. I like spending the time hand filing chain to get sharp. I now need them sharp in much less time. Thats the reasoning here for the electric grinder

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What model is that?
I bought it in August 2008. Oregon #108181. Paid $99. Bought it from NorthernTool at the time.
I haven't hand filed a chain since then. I bring about half a dozen chains with me to the wood pile. When the chain starts to show signs of dulling, just pop on another one. Resharpen end of day while cleaning the saws.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
FWIW, Granberg just posted that they are now selling what looks like the Tecomec spinner / breaker set, on their website.

Pricing is slightly better on eBay, from ArcherPlus.

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_7260.jpeg
    IMG_7260.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7259.jpeg
    IMG_7259.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 0
Husky77

Husky77

ArboristSite Operative
I have an oragon 510a and ita a great tool with plenty of adjustments and good strong motor. So far I have used the normal stones on it and been pleased with results, hardly used now I prefer a file but when needed it is a great tool. One think I would recommend is CLEAN the chain first and your wheel will last a lot longer. Keep some petrol especially for the job, it dont take long to wash a chain or a number of chains and your wheel will stay clean a very long time. Some dont bother and say it's a waste of time, each to their own but my thinking is if your going to do a job do it properly 👍

Coralillo Lo Pro
I get it. Really do. I like spending the time hand filing chain to get sharp. I now need them sharp in much less time. Thats the reasoning here for the electric grinder
Been talking w GeneralKayoss about this as he's been thinking of getting the HF cheap grinder I have which is so flimsy it's kinda hopeless for repetitive good results. Best bet without spending much money seems to be the Tecomec Midi Jolly, $85-90 on American Forestry and Amazon. Stepping up from that, the compact Tecomec version of the Oregon 520 is okay on sale at Archer for $219, but the Tecomec Jolly Star at $359 is a more accurate 520 replica. The more I read about them all, the more it seems the chain clamp is the most important thing all the sub-$300 models don't do really well. It's utterly useless on the cheap HF sharpener, and better on the $100-200 sharpeners but far from rock solid. On the HF cheapie I have to pin the chain down with the stop mechanism or else the grinding wheel kicks it up. Had a chance a couple years ago to pick up an entire used Stihl grinder/breaker/spinner set for $400 and wish I had, just didn't have the money at the time.

Until I damage a chain or am repairing other badly sharpened ones, I like to use my Stihl/Pferd 2 in 1 hand filing chains. I get the rakers at the same time and it doesn't take any more time than my HF sharpener does. (But it doesn't work on skip chain spacing.) Unless you have a high quality, rock solid sharpener without flex that gives you precision repetition, you easily spend as much time electric sharpening as hand sharpening a chain with no better results so it's worth getting a good one.

U&A

The Millstead LLC
Been talking w GeneralKayoss about this as he's been thinking of getting the HF cheap grinder I have which is so flimsy it's kinda hopeless for repetitive good results. Best bet without spending much money seems to be the Tecomec Midi Jolly, $85-90 on American Forestry and Amazon. Stepping up from that, the compact Tecomec version of the Oregon 520 is okay on sale at Archer for $219, but the Tecomec Jolly Star at $359 is a more accurate 520 replica. The more I read about them all, the more it seems the chain clamp is the most important thing all the sub-$300 models don't do really well. It's utterly useless on the cheap HF sharpener, and better on the $100-200 sharpeners but far from rock solid. On the HF cheapie I have to pin the chain down with the stop mechanism or else the grinding wheel kicks it up. Had a chance a couple years ago to pick up an entire used Stihl grinder/breaker/spinner set for $400 and wish I had, just didn't have the money at the time.

Until I damage a chain or am repairing other badly sharpened ones, I like to use my Stihl/Pferd 2 in 1 hand filing chains. I get the rakers at the same time and it doesn't take any more time than my HF sharpener does. (But it doesn't work on skip chain spacing.) Unless you have a high quality, rock solid sharpener without flex that gives you precision repetition, you easily spend as much time electric sharpening as hand sharpening a chain with no better results so it's worth getting a good one.
Thank you. I was LITERALLY about to buy this but ill hold off.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/products/tecomec-jolly-evo-chain-saw-grinder. Found it for $198 on archer’s website.

It is even more important to have consistency than speed with sharpening especially for milling AND free hand cutting 40” diameter cookies. Gota keep the cut as straight as possible. That is the huge up side to the electric sharpener too. The consistency.

So i guess I hold off on this one.

Coralillo Lo Pro
Thank you. I was LITERALLY about to buy this but ill hold off.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/products/tecomec-jolly-evo-chain-saw-grinder. Found it for $198 on archer’s website.

It is even more important to have consistency than speed with sharpening especially for milling AND free hand cutting 40” diameter cookies. Gota keep the cut as straight as possible. That is the huge up side to the electric sharpener too. The consistency.

So i guess I hold off on this one.
Yeah, I gather the Oregon 410 and Tecomec Jolly Evo are good otherwise but the clamping system apparently has a little wobble and the Tecomec compact Jolly/520 equivalent uses basically the same clamp system I think. You're totally right about milling needing really even precision sharpening for good results. Cross cutting you can get away with a lot more inconsistent sharpening and not really notice. Wish they put some more effort into making solid chain clamp systems in the $200-300 units, it's not too much to ask at that price. Getting harder to find quality second hand ones for sale too. I'm trying to figure out what I can really trust without spending too much myself.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Odd point: The Tecomec EVO is apparently the grinder most compatible with use of the ‘SquareJig’ attachment, for sharpening square ground chain on a round grinder.

If you are buying a grinder, and thinking that you might want to try that, consider that point.

Otherwise, my recommendation (Post #8, above) for a basic, full size (5-3/4”), and full amperage grinder, remain.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/i-can-square-grind-with-my-round-grinder.358884/

Coralillo Lo Pro
I'm not sure how solid or not the clamping vise on the Tecomec EVO/410 or Compact Jolly/520 are. May be entirely adequate. Just noting on the Archer site they say one of the two main differences between that and the better 520/511 equivalent, the Tecomec Jolly Star Pro, is that the compact Jolly uses a "standard vise", and the $359 Jolly Star Pro uses a much better quality manual vise similar to the Oregon 520. A bump up of $150 is a chunk more money to spend, but I get the impression most people who get serious about electric sharpening end up always upgrading to at least the 520 in the end anyway, like Philbert recommends.