Finding Free firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodremedy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I need advise as to how to get free logs trees or firewood deliver or for pick up cheap or free.

around here you can get firewood permits to cut your own on Forest Service land - $5/cord

if there are any lumber mills near you they often sell slabs and/or log ends and/or cull logs for cheap ($28/ton near me).

Because I am snowed out of the woods right now I picked up almost two cords for $30 today (rounds and slabs) from a small (two-man) local mill.

City/county roads departments will sometimes haul the wood they clear from roads, etc. to a dump site where it is free for the taking - can't hurt to ask

try contacting a tree service - if they don't sell firewood they might be happy to get rid of it cheap

expecting to get it delivered cheap/free is asking a lot given the price of gas these days. Everyone around here that sells firewood charges extra for delivery

In michigan, when you see them clearing powerlines, call the county, if the landowner hasn't laid claim .to the wood you can get permission to collect it. usually it can be found in the road right of way and easy to get to.

If you look on the top of the forum, you will see a couple of stickies, one for someone wanting wood. Post there, it might do you some good.
I posted there, and thanks to one of the kind members here, he hooked me up with a tree removal guy in my area that he knew. I went the first part of this week, and took home 3 loads of white and red oak, about 4 cords worth. And more coming down next week, a huge 35 inch hickory, and 3 more white oaks.
Had to drive 40 miles round trip to get it, but for white oak it was worth it. Cant ask for anything better! And the last trip the guys where there with their trackhoe, and loaded everything for me in about 20 minutes! Man, thats living!

Wonder if we could/should start a sticky for log length wanted from tree guys too. I know in my area, you really can't seem to get any for free, i'm about 15 min north of albany(8A off the northway) but I'd be happy just finding some cheap log length hardwood even if it comes in per tree job and not one big load doesn't matter to me.... anyway just a thought. As far as finding free, depends on your area it seems. May try to post a craigslist ad as well.....

Also, I found a good way to make a few connections with the loggers in the area. I hung out at the local saw mill for a few hours, and talked to the drivers coming in with loads. Most were friendly, and told me upfront if the area that they were in was close by, worthwhile for firewood, and if the landowner would allow firewood cutting. The area that I am working in right now is a couple of miles down the road, I found it by following a skidder down the road to their repair barn. I happened to be drivng into town, and wondered what was holding up a long line of cars. Saw the skidder upfront take a turn, and figured the obvious. Skidder means logging. Drove up and talked to the driver. He gave me directions, and told me who to talk to. Has worked out great. Lots of wood, over 400 acres they are clearing. The only downside is they wont let me cut tree tops until I clean out all the end pieces in front of the knucklboom. Wood is a little dirty from being dragged, and often the pieces are bigger around than I like to work with, but hey!They are all free! And mostly white and red oak.
Keep your eyes open, wood is there, you just have to find it.
never had any wood find me, come to think of it.......

Lots of farmers around here ask me to come out to clean up their deadfalls in their timbers. But I don't have a pickup, much less 4WD to get back to where the trees are. If you have the equipment and some farmers around, you may just try asking if they have anything for you to clean up.

I got a great arrangement with a guy in town that does tree removal. I sharpen his chains for him, and he brings me free trunks and limbs. Unfortunately, it's a lot of piss elm which is a bear to split, but when its seasoned it burns good and hot -- a lot like ash.

God bless,
Chris

I found wood on Craigslist. People have trees cut and to save a few bucks have the wood left on the ground. Just got 3 loads of red Oak. Look in the poorer neighborhoods for dead trees. Ask the people if they want trees cut. I got a nice dead elm to cut as soon as it drys up enough for me to get my 2wd truck in there. Look for a sheetmetal shop in your area. They get pallets that are made of hardwood 4x4's and 1x8's that their 8x10 sheets are delivered on. Also they have smaller 4x4 skids that coils are deliverd on. I have been known to get a little wood on Railroad or off state highway right of ways. The railroad guys told me they can't give me permission to cut, but they aren't going to stop me either. I usually go in there on a sunday morning or during the football games and only cut dead trees. Beggars can't be choosey, or shy. You have to ask.

Go to the local public brush/tree dump. You would not believe all the wood I can get for free that people just toss at the local county brush dump. I just got done finally cutting the 4 cord beaver pile haul from last year's ice storm. Just went over there yesterday to dump my garbage can of ash and wood all over the place. If you don't get there quick enough they just make a huge burn pile and waste it. :(

Over in Holly, I would work on talking to smaller local tree companies. Many times they're rather dump a load of logs off at your house than haul them to their yard or to the dump. Also talk to local land owners/farmers who would appreciate someone willing to clean up deadfall or to thin fence rows.

I'd also try the Flint, Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Detroit Craigslist. You can find good scores on there from time to time.

I have a few different ways to get free wood. The best has been new housing developments. I'll track down builders to ask if I can come in and clear out deadfall from lots they have available. Most want to give only verbal permission to avoid liability problems. Keep in mind they are trying to sell the lot and do not want to have ruts from driving heavy equipment.

Craigslist: I just picked up 1 cord off a lawn for free today.

Storm cleanup: I'll knock on a few doors when I see trees in the yard. Sometimes people offer to pay me to cut it up and take the firewood and leave the brush for the township to take.

Lots of farmers around here ask me to come out to clean up their deadfalls in their timbers. But I don't have a pickup, much less 4WD to get back to where the trees are. If you have the equipment and some farmers around, you may just try asking if they have anything for you to clean up.
Chris

My old employer.. Big time farmer. Lets me know if he purcahsed any new land and if it has trees on it or if he is gonna have a tree line dozed down.. no problem in getting in there with 4 wheeled drive. Before winter set in they just cleaned up a fence line right across the road from me and had the whole thing piled ready to be burned. Took the pickup and tractor over there and got a quick full load of wood. Of course 1 thing that will help when doing this is pushing the brush back into a heap for when it needs to be burned. Or atleast pile all the branches and such into a pile to help in the cleanup if your in a grove that you have permission to get into.. or just take it all with you. this Leads to repeat scavenging offers

Free Firewood

Find a tree guy or go into cutting trees and get paid to get cut it.

+1, QFT! Tree trimmers or removal companies are usually always looking for someone to haul away the branches or the trunks. They usually carry it to land fills or use dumpsters. Meet them at their job and remove whatever big stuff you can save. I usually save everything 1.5" dia. and larger, so that eliminates at least half their waste most of the time.

Caigslist has been a fairly good source for me. Big thing is responsding quickly, having a pickup and a saw. Probably 1 out of 3-4 times that i email or contact people i end up with wood.

Next is find a tree guy that has to pay to get rid of wood (hmmm wonder were the tree guys hang out on the internet??)

Third is start letting friends/neighbors know you burn wood and will help them out.

the last round of wood i got off C-list i had to take the brush (2 truck loads worth) but it scored me 6 more trees next month from the guy when he takes them down...will get my buddies trailer and just bring all the brush right to the transfer station(dump) were they just chip it up.

Also Call your town and ask what they do with trees they cut down, the town below me gives them to homeowners..wonder what the list looks like..

Stew- if it's free it's for ME:),

Last edited:
My most recent C-List Free Firewood exchange went like this:

1. Saw ad, e-mailed immediately.
2. Ad man responded with general area (already knew by the post) and some cutting may be required.
3. I replied that I had saws, when and where?
4. He replied with neighborhood (we're getting closer and way cool its 1.5 miles from my house!) and he would be there Saturday and Monday.
5. I told him Saturday and asked if he knew what type of tree.
6. He replied its not a tree its a deck he's taking down.
7. I replied :censored:

Latest posts

Back