Finding vacuum leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane98

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys…
I’ve finished putting piston and cylinder on a 066 and I have a vacuum leak. It’s not coming from the seals or the cases or front or back or looking from the back the right side of the cylinder. I can’t see the left side because it right against the case. But I haven’t seen any bubbles from anywhere. Decomp, spark plug, cylinder,seals, muffler, intake boot, or cases. I was wondering if I could put this down in a bucket of water to see where it leaking? I’ve had it a part twice and put dirko on cylinder gasket and cylinder because it was leaking there at first. But not now. But it leaking someplace that I can’t see.

Hey guys…
I’ve finished putting piston and cylinder on a 066 and I have a vacuum leak. It’s not coming from the seals or the cases or front or back or looking from the back the right side of the cylinder. I can’t see the left side because it right against the case. But I haven’t seen any bubbles from anywhere. Decomp, spark plug, cylinder,seals, muffler, intake boot, or cases. I was wondering if I could put this down in a bucket of water to see where it leaking? I’ve had it a part twice and put dirko on cylinder gasket and cylinder because it was leaking there at first. But not now. But it leaking someplace that I can’t see.
Sure dunk it in water for a half a minute under pressure not vac.

It’s a oem cylinder. This is the second time I’ve had to seal a cylinder. Had to seal a 044 also. Cylinder right where the cases go together wouldn’t seal. I’ve sprayed this thing everywhere. Can’t find the leak.

It’s a oem cylinder. This is the second time I’ve had to seal a cylinder. Had to seal a 044 also. Cylinder right where the cases go together wouldn’t seal. I’ve sprayed this thing everywhere. Can’t find the leak.
Dunk it and report back here. Ive seen leaks where the cases meet, sealer might work let it dry over night.

That’s where it was leaking at first. That’s why I had to put sealer on it. Right where the cases meet and the cylinder mates to the cases under exhaust port. But it not leaking there or the back or looking from the back the right side. Ignition side is to tight to see. It’s right up against the case.

That’s where it was leaking at first. That’s why I had to put sealer on it. Right where the cases meet and the cylinder mates to the cases under exhaust port. But it not leaking there or the back or looking from the back the right side. Ignition side is to tight to see. It’s right up against the case.
When you going to dunk it so we can see whats up?

Just finished…. I’m pissed… it’s was the elbow manifold. It was brand spanking new oem for $39. Had a slit it right up next to where it goes thru the tank handle. Just put the old one back on. It’s still holding pressure. Turned crank still good. I would have never seen that little slit either if I didn’t put it in water.

Just finished…. I’m pissed… it’s was the elbow manifold. It was brand spanking new oem for $39. Had a slit it right up next to where it goes thru the tank handle. Just put the old one back on. It’s still holding pressure. Turned crank still good. I would have never seen that little slit either if I didn’t put it in water.
Now, did you do press and vac tests or just pressure? Just to make sure the crank seals are good.

Yeah really…. I’ve only been about 2 days trying to figure this out. Man it’s been one thing after another on this 066. First the coil and flywheel then the gaskets for the case. The flywheel side seal. The valve inside the carburetor was leaking so I pressed that out and that was stopped up went to put that back in and it just fell thru the hole so got to figure out somehow to keep that from falling thru the hole. Like I said one thing after another.

Yeah really…. I’ve only been about 2 days trying to figure this out. Man it’s been one thing after another on this 066. First the coil and flywheel then the gaskets for the case. The flywheel side seal. The valve inside the carburetor was leaking so I pressed that out and that was stopped up went to put that back in and it just fell thru the hole so got to figure out somehow to keep that from falling thru the hole. Like I said one thing after another.
A small drift pin is all you need not a press.

Yeah that’s what I used but now that it’s out when I went to put it back in it just falls thru the hole. Don’t need anything to push it back in it just falls in and right on thru the hole. I need someway of keeping it in the hole.

Yeah that’s what I used but now that it’s out when I went to put it back in it just falls thru the hole. Don’t need anything to push it back in it just falls in and right on thru the hole. I need someway of keeping it in the hole.
Maybe a new carb would be worth it at this point. Price one first. Crazy you had to knock it out but it now is loose.

How did You install the rubber intake manifold? Easy way is to use a string on the inlet, to pull it thought the tank housing , as you lower the P/C onto the case.

If you use a screwdriver it will fu the carb boot.

How did You install the rubber intake manifold? Easy way is to use a string on the inlet, to pull it thought the tank housing , as you lower the P/C onto the case.

Should I ask how you know that?

jug and string trick.jpgintake boot pulled through.JPG

PS. Your girlfriends scrap knitting yarn works best as string, acrylic.

Back