finger in log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had gloves on and got them caught in a belt and around the pully my finger went. That was over 2 years ago. 3 surgerys later, along with a year of theropy my finger is comming off on Tuesday morning.

Sorry to hear that especially after 3 surgery and over 2 years later having to lose your finger. I know I was happy to see my thumb still attach when I pulled my glove off, and the belt was no tighter than it was.

that sucks that he got hurt but like the others stated if you handle the wood by the sides this will never happen.

i feel for his pain. i just went through a second surgery on my reattached fingers last wenseday. it sucks and i sure cant run a saw for a few weeks. hard to make a living as a logger when you cant saw or run skidder. i can still run knuckleboom but i generally am the fellar.:chainsaw:

hmm...memories...my leg under the Argo...my uncle's finger in the belt and pulley...oh and the best, my buddy's finger in the sausage grinder:chainsawguy:

Had something similar hapened to me...twenty or so years ago. I was running an old home made splitter with my dad, splitting some really stringy old fir (butt cut). My dad was on the control, I was placing chunks to be split and doing everything else. The splitter wedge was also home made and had a diamond plate surface. The chunk on the splitter popped, so I reached in to grab a chunk and throw it clear. A big slab off the chunk popped iff, trapping my finger between it and the wedge as the ram continued to shove the wood through the wedge. So my finger (middle finger, right hand) got all mangled and twisted between the side of the wedge and the wood. I jerked my finger clear, and the first thought as I looked at this blood dripping mess was, if I just chopped it off with some aviation shears ,maybe I could just wrap it up and not have to go to the hospital(very clear thought on that matter, I had three good pairs of aviation shears, right cut, left cut and straight).

In proper woodsman fashion, I ran some cold water in it, wrapped it up with toilet paper and duct tape and went back to work. Lost my fingernail and screwed up bow season that year (could not hold the bowstring). Otherwise healed okay, no further medical.

Neighbor kids use splitter as a horsie

I saw our stupid neighbor running his splitter with his kids sitting on top of the thing and one actually sat on a large log as it was being split. I waited for the ambulances to come around.
When we use our splitter we use gloves and it helps since if you feel a tug on the glove you may have time to jerk your hand awayeven if you just handle the logs on the sides.
Standing next to the beam is also dangerous while waiting to catch a split log. We have very few large logs and one split with such force it tossed one of the pieces several feet away. Luckily my dad was loading the trailer with another piece so he was not standing in his normal spot.

All kinds of dangers just be super careful and wary of everything and everyone around you helps.

I saw our stupid neighbor running his splitter with his kids sitting on top of the thing and one actually sat on a large log as it was being split. I waited for the ambulances to come around.

Should have taken pictures. Then if you ever want to get rid of the kids, you can send the pics to child protective services and the kids will disappear like magic.

Should have taken pictures. Then if you ever want to get rid of the kids, you can send the pics to child protective services and the kids will disappear like magic.
That is unsafe. I could see using my mother-in-law but my kid? Actually I have a very cool mother-in-law, let me switch that to the X-wife. She's got the butt for it now days too. :hmm3grin2orange:

A wise man once told me the secret to leading a long, full life:

PAY ATTENTION

Pay attention while driving, less accidents. Pay attention in school, get better grades, make more money. Pay attention to your wife, less fights. Pay attention when operating a machine that puts out 20 tons of crushing force, you get to keep all of your finges.

:computer:I've always had either my 10 year old son or wife running my lever for me. Even without experience at first.

The trick is to NEVER put your fingers on the top of the log, never.

I still have all my fingers.

:agree2:

Yep. I even let my 7 year old run my splitter lever. She did a darn good job, and only pulled the lever wrong a couple of times in the beginning.

No way was I going to put my hand where it could get caught.

Regarding logs splitting and flying out: That happened to me last fall. Durn near knocked me down, and both my girls started laughing at me. I'll admit I was pretty crabby with them about the laughing they did. I heatedly suggested that I would be willing to throw a log at them and then they would know what it felt like. They stopped laughing shortly thereafter.

Well, i never got my finger stuck in a splitter wedge, but i did crush the heck out of them with a splitter. I was setting mine up vertical once (not hooked to a tow vehicle) and i lifted with handle, then put my hand under the beam to push it the rest of the way up and the axle part rotated around and crushed my middle 3 fingers between the beam and and the base the beam rests on when in horizontal position. Holy SOB did that hurt...i did have a pair of light leather gloves on and i was a little worried what my fingers were going to look like when i pulled it off. But it was all good, nothing mangled or even broken just crushed, swollen and bruised. My middle finger knuckle was about triple its normal size and i had some cool color changes happen! Needless to say that i now pay more attention when going vertical. Make sure im on level ground so it cant kick up as easy. And dont put my hand under the beam anymore!

Back