Fire in the Hole!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today it was -11 with the windchill and we had work to do. We hammered out 3 good sized White Pine and a Box Elder, then came the big Silver. My brother jumped up there and free falled all the leads and we started chipping brush when we realized the stump was smoking. We ate and came back to the beast in flames. The chain saw exhaust was tight against some dry/dead wood during a long cut and started it. I thought it was pretty neat.

DSCN2735.jpg

DSCN2732.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

DSCN2736.jpg

DSCN2737.jpg

DSCN2738.jpg

falty muffler or a modded one? that can be very bad, glad yall enjoyed it. sounds like a great day. i set my old hollow apple on fire at 4th of july and she is showing signs of improvement. it was an accidental fire, the tree smells like smoke and i think all the bugs moved to another tree.

Last edited:
One day, years ago myself another young buck are at the firehouse when we get a strange telephone call from the dispatcher -- there's a tree on fire by a road in town, caller says it's burning about 12' off the ground.

It's January.

There's a foot of fresh snow on the ground

The temperature is just above 20.

Someone must be imagining things...

We drove down and took a look, huh...they ain't joking.

Drove back to the firehouse, filled up a five gallon indian tank backpack pump we use on brush fires, and returned with the Rescue truck to use it's ladder. I climbed up and put out the fire.

Our guess was a town highway truck probably took a break parked there, and threw up a spark from it's exhaust that landed in some punky wood.

falty muffler or a modded one? that can be very bad, glad yall enjoyed it. sounds like a great day. i set my old hollow apple on fire at 4th of july and she is showing signs of improvement. it was an accidental fire, the tree smells like smoke and i think all the bugs moved to another tree.

Totally stock 2171 J-red.

I have set several on fire with a stock saw sometimes a spark of chain
will do it. Worse is bush hogging here in the quartz beds in late summer
I have been hogging and when finally make it back see a big wild fire starting and have to get out an beat it down never had one get completely away yet!

i have seen an entire mulched garden smolder over night and when we returned the next day it was completely burnt up.:jawdrop: so watch them burnables:)

That's great!

Worse is bush hogging here in the quartz beds in late summer
I have been hogging and when finally make it back see a big wild fire starting and have to get out an beat it down never had one get completely away yet!

That there is funny as all get up. :ices_rofl: Or maybe not. :monkey:

Is was a 32 today where I was. I noticed I couldn't hit my mark with the tb for the life of me. I realized it was the cold. Joints, jacket. How is at -11?

At -11 windchills you need to keep moving and the face gets a good burn. That fire is an asset, especially working with no wind breaks. In below 0 weather it is important to understand that metals weaken and become more brittle. Just something to think about with dynamic loading on cold days.

Is that -11, or "a windchill of -11" ?

I confess, I am a jerk about windchill factors. When it's 10 degrees and windy, we all know what that feels like. I keep telling my guys that a windchill is something that the weathermen use to convince you that you are more uncomfortable than you should be. Naturally, they resent my comments robustly.

I don't know what a -11 wind chill feels like: That could be 15 degrees in a gale, or 0 with a light breeze. Was it sunny? That changes everything.

A good site for windchill factors, including a calculator at the bottom:
http://www.weather.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml

"Note: Windchill Temperature is only defined for temperatures at or below 50 degrees F and wind speeds above 3 mph. Bright sunshine may increase the wind chill temperature by 10 to 18 degrees F."

smores n coffee @ 11am on a cold work day:smoking: that wood be soooo nice!!!

If I were working on a backwood's ROW on a day like today a nice fire like that would come in handy.

Good call, Nails!

My guys wanna know: "How cold is too cold?"

I told them I will work in subzero temps with 35 mph winds. I also tell them I don't pay much attention until my eyelids start to freeze shut.

I'm afraid though, if I started a fire that they wouldn't want to get anything done.

Cool thread Nails, I've started a few chainsaw muffler related fires here in sunny socal myself!

Box elders are relatively rare here, but all the old ones I've whacked here have been hollow with massive buttressing wood to compensate. Almost as if it's perfectly natural for them to be hollow and healthy?

jomoco

hollow trees can be very healthy. i think hollow trees are still very strong just think about tubular steel

You have totally ruined the nice topping job you had going there!! Homeowner's gonna be pissed!

That's the only way to screw up a top job.

Just kidding ya know. Glad to see yo have work. I havev a silver maple this week too, about the same size. Other than that, totally dead.

Back