Fire starting concaucsions??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Soma body may have posted something like this before but i have not seen it what do you guys use if anything to start your fires in wood stove wood chips soaked in kerosene starter logs etc etc etc?????

I use noodles from quartering larger rounds and squirt a little charcoal lighter on them. Another good thing to use is kindling made from old pine stump/roots.

I compress some paraffin wax and sawdust. After it cools I cut the tube with a mitre saw. They will start about anything.

I use a propane torch and dry cedar kindling. It's a very good combination.

I leave the coals in the stove while cleaning so I don't start too many fires. I will though when the weather warms up and I let the fire go out quite a bit.

We use the fire starter bricks:msp_scared:
But we cut them into 4 pieces so its pretty cheap. 3 chunks of wood in a pyramid and one of the chunks in the middle starts every time.

"Splitter Trash" on top of the logs with knotted, rolled newspaper on top (the top-down starting method). no added flammables needed aside from the Aim n Flame lighter.

:agree2: Note the "TOP-DOWN" part. Pieces progressively LARGER as you look down in the pile. GREATLY reduces smoke on lighting; pieces don't shift & block airflow.

Admittedly, I've not started a fire in months, just reloaded/rekindled. Maybe soon- got some red pine sticks to use up.

There is a man on ********** that pushes his coal bed into the back of his firebox in the morning during the shoulder season. Then later on when he wants to start a fire, he pulls the coal bed forward and opens the air. This allows for those coals to remain dormant until needed. That way he isn't messing around with firestarters. I'm going to try it this year. It will work with those with a firebrick floor.

Latest posts

Back