Fireplace experience needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have a hard time leaving that thing going all night. Even with the screens closed I still get little pops and snaps that make their way out. Had a chunk of cherry the other day that shot out a dime sized coal about 4 foot!
You should see me. Upstairs watching tv and the fireplace pops downstairs, so down two flights of stairs I run to check it. Back up to tv. Pop....back down the stairs I run.
I'm starting to hate this thing.......but I hate the propane bill as well.:dizzy:

We had a PreWay fireplace. It had double chainmail screens that we always closed but kept the doors open, but never at night. It would take a good three hours to get the unit hot enough to radiate a good amount of heat into the room. It had a huge firebox though, & consequently needed to be fed a good quantity of wood. This year I replaced it with a new Lennox Brentwwod
flush mount, zc. It uses 1/3 the wood for 100X the heat...

I would be more concerned with your chimney, is it a stainless steel 650 degree (2100) insulated. Older chimneys are not designed for high flue temperatures. If you change to a wood insert, make sure you install a stainless steel liner in the chimney.

Back