Fireplace Question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

never2muchwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All, I've been out cutting wood, which I haven't done for quite some time. While cutting wood I've found there is alot of time to think! So I have more questions! When I built out house 20 years ago, we installed a Majestic 42 fireplace. At the time they sold it as being a very good source for helping to heat the house. Was supposed to be top of the line. We had some problems with it early on, and honestly I got tired of it, and put a couple layers of foam insulation over it and forgot about it. Even when it worked at it's best, It didn't throw any (or enough) heat out to make a difference. I'm quite sure I lost more heat than I ever gained. That's where my question comes in. Nothing beats the comfort of having a fireplace or woodstove burning. Is there products on the market these days, say a much better fireplace that I could replace this with that truly would make a difference and actually throw some heat into the house? Or...I was even thinking, is is possible to remove something like this fireplace and do a little remodeling & install some type of more efficient wood stove that would make the house much more comfortable in the winter? I've been thinking of installing an OWB, but got to thinking, perhaps that's too drastic, maybe the answer can be found just by doing something with this fireplace. I literally designed my home around a fireplace to help heat it--centrally located, high ceilings & open loft area with a few ceiling fans to move the air around. I'd be happy to take pics of what I have if that would help anyone give me idea's? More than the money savings I'm really after making the house more comfortable. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

I might also ask, 10 years ago my insurance company made me remove a woodstove I had in the garage. I did that and always regretted it, I should have changed insurance companies. How do insurance companies look upon todays modern day woodstoves/fireplaces? I will talk with my ins company before I do anything, but I trust the advice I get here more than I do my insurance guy. I truly appreciate all the answers to all my questions lately, everyone has been a huge help! Thanks!

I sure don''t like to ask foolish questions, but I have to in this case. Aren't fireplace inserts only for an old time fireplace that was literally built by a bricklayer from the ground up? Or can you actually put a fireplace insert into an existing fireplace? Thanks!

Is the Majestic a zero-clearance prefab unit? If so, your options for a drop-in install will be limited to a swap for a newer, similar unit; one of the few "approved for install in zero-clearance fireplace" inserts; or a major home improvement project.

If your goal is to put a supplemental heat source in without a major bit of masonry work, look to one of the modern freestanding stoves. Jotul and others have enough baffling that you can install them practically anywhere, on nothing more than an insulating hearth pad and within a foot or so of your walls.

I'm not sure what a Majestic 42 fireplace is but I had a reg old wood burning fireplace in my house. I installed a wood burning insert in the fire place last year and have never regretted it.

I now use 2/3 less gas to heat my house, and save around $150 to $250 for the last 3 months. I also keep my house HOT.. My wife who used to be cold ALL the time is now walking around in T-shirts & shorts.. (which I like).

My insurance company never raised my rates.. Allstate.

I'm embarrased to say guys I don't know if this is a "zero clearance" unit or not. When I poured my foundation I formed a 2' X 5' section that "juts out" from the rest of the foundation. That's where the fireplace fits into. It was an entire unit that was installed and it had it's own blower fan, outside air vent etc. I don't think there is anything special about this, it's just a regular old wood burning fireplace also. I'll be honest with you, If it means making the house more comfortable I can live with a major remodeling! If I could make the fireplace work out, it would inreality save me alot of trouble from installing an OWB. I spend most my time in the shop anyway, but my wife likes the house real warm, but with the high ceilings etc, about the only way to get the house really warm & comfortable for her is to turn the furnace up to 80 and we've never done that. Mark

Yep.. you can easily do a insert if you want.. Check out your local dealers and then let us know what they sale.

Most inserts are good, but there are a few bad one's out there.

I have a Lopi and think it's great.

You need to measure the opening, depth, hight, flew location.. + others.. Your dealer will let you know.

Here is another photo of the fireplace when I was building the house.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp135/mtj54/fireplace2.jpg

I considered an add on furnace, I didn't really look into it too much, don't know much about them either! If I could find a way to make this work out I think I'd prefer it. My wife likes the idea of a fireplace, also, I do have a full basement, and to get wood downstairs I would either have to carry all the way thru the house and down a flight of steps, or put in an outdoor chute which I really don't want to fool with. If I can find a way to make this work, I'm solving two problems at once and keeping my wife happy--we all know how important that is :)

Here's a pic of mine

attachment.php

A insert is a fire box inside another iron box. It heats up the outer iron box and with the help of a blower it sucks in cool air from the house & heats it up and blows the hot air back out.

A reg fire place will let off some heat but most is sucked up the chimney and lost, it also will suck out some of the hot air from the house.

A insert will use very little air from the house due to it design.

Here's a link

http://www.lopistoves.com/how_it_works/wood/

call your local fireplace folks

ask the guy that actually installs them what your best option is..pay him $25 for his time and put it in yourself.. If you have to knock out 1/2 dozen bricks and have someone fab up a connection from an insert to your existing..it will be worth the money. fireplaces suck everything from every nook and cranny of the house..I have a stand alone wood stove and heat my 1300 square foot tiny house to 80 in a couple drinks. I wouldn't have it any other way. even it is has to sit out from the hearth..put down a rug and burn away brother

I'll definately be stopping over at the local fireplace shop tomorrow and try to learn more. From what I gather so far though, all along a fireplace has been more of something to enjoy sitting around, but they really aren't designed to heat anything? But a fireplace insert will actually have alot of effect in helping to heat a house. If that's correct, I sure wish I'd known that 20 years ago! I know this sounds stupid but I always just assumed a fireplace insert was for folks that wanted the safety of a fire buring with some doors on it that they could close! When they sold me this unit I have, I was told "I'd probably never have to turn the thermostadt up". I should of come looking for this site long ago, This site has taught me more in two weeks than I have learned in 20 years! Thanks again everyone...

never2much,

Your old fireplace isn't anywhere near as efficient at heat transfer as the newer zero clearance designs.

I'm sitting in front of this one right now. Heats the whole house(2,300+sq ft.)
with no problem.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Wood_Burning/Wood_Model.asp?f=7100fp

Take a look around at what's out there now.Some really neat options, and it kinda sucks ya can't try several to tinker with LOL!!

Odda are if ya find one ya like, someone here has one and will compare notes with you.

Stay safe!!!
dingeryote

i heated my house 100% with my insert in the sig for 2 years. the house is only 1200sqft but it did a pretty decent job of heating it. now i run the woodstove in my sig in the cellar. it heats teh entire house perfectly. it does a much better job imo. but it eats alot more wood. so my plan is to use the insert at the beginning and end of the winter when its not so cold.

ive been using the insert the last week and a half or so as im in wood conservation mode real bad. i didnt expect to get the woodstove this year so i used damn near all my wood. this will never happen again.

Latest posts

Back