Firewood Business.....How much to pay for Logs delivered???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can cut split stack a full cord of hardwood in just over 3 hours your doing a great job I'd say if your getting straight clean hardwood logs at only 80$ for a full cord that's even better you might be the only firewood guy making 30$ profit per hour consistently I ever heard of

Last edited:
100 a cord is going rate . In my area unless your cutting on your own property on your own logs there isn't much money in it by the time it's all said and done. . There is a reason the old timers always say. " selling firewood is a poor mans business "now on the other hand if your getting 300 a cord then there's some room for good profit if you have the right tools and business sense. If you buy at 100 a cord and sell at say 300 a cord that's 200 profit ( not actually because there's other costs too like wear and tear new chains gas oil) there is a profit sure but not much consider it's labor some work and
Even if you sold all intended 50 cords that's only 10,000$( then subtract taxes) Not much money really for a lot of work danger and liability ..You could work part time at McDonald's and make more than that
I think they would get MAD if you brought your chainsaw to work.

There is a big difference between a saw log and a log. The logs the OP is considering purchasing are not saw logs. Tree services do not cut saw logs.

My bad, I should have explained my perspective was local. Tree services here do often sell logs, bolts and sticks as the market is strong locally for those products. Logs and bolts here go to a sawmill. Sticks go for firewood or pulp. Sorry if my local terms confuse people elsewhere. Maybe I should have explained my perspective was local.

OP: you will know your local prices and demand better than us, just as Hamish knows his area. Good luck.

sincerely, lmbrman

There is a big difference between a saw log and a log. The logs the OP is considering purchasing are not saw logs. Tree services do not cut saw logs.

Most logging operations in ontario require that the trees be marked and graded before the cutting begins. Logs are then separated according to grade and species at the landing and trucked away accordingly. Not often that I get a millable

$350 a cord wow? I thought $250 was good? $100 a truck load is good, some guys have the balls to ask $700 by me, but like I said cords are around $200. I get it free. It's blood money though, there are guys who really go all out and can make over 500k a year but it takes a substantial investment to get there.

I have a tree service already providing me with wood. The problem with that is the wood varies, yes it is free but hard to sell X amount of wood if it isn't there. If one wants to only sell oak I don't think I can get enough of it.

The seller of the logs told me the diameter of the oak is anywhere between 10"-20".

Again a log cord is less than a cord of C/S/S correct?? Anyone has a guess by how much?

For me I think this is too much, I don't like to have more than $100 in the finished product CSS. I sell cords between $300 and $400, it beats my McDonalds job !!

I'm getting 350 a cord right now, supply and demand.
firewood logs or pulpwood, same thing here, are 150 to 165 a cord delivered

$350 Canadian or US? Great money if US. I get about $280 US + tax.

Any of you guys familiar with "pallet grade" logs? A good "in between" saw logs and pulp wood grade.

Cut split delivered here is 150 oak may bring. 180 though . No firewood selling guru or logger but I can do simple math and to me Buying it off a log truck and doing all the hard work then reselling it is not worth it in my opinion .. I don't see enough profit to be worthwhile unless you had a big operation .. but in the end that is a question only you can answer some guys love to work and cut split stack and load for. 8 bucks an hour while others need 20 an hour to be worth their while

If you think cutting and splitting is doing " all the hard work" you need to go work with a logger for a month.

$100 a cord log load is going rate here. We get $250 max for all oak delivered cut and split
Firewood is still cheaper there in the US. Your $250 US dollars work out to about $288 CAD.
Here in Ontario, Canada hardwood firewood goes for $300-$350 a cord, but that's not delivered. You have to pick it up at that price. And usually not seasoned either, just blocked and split.
Our log trucks around here run anywhere from $1100-$1250 a load for a 9 cord, tandem load. Ten years back they were around $900 a tandem log load.
I'm still looking for a good supply for hardwood logs at $1000 a load....max.

Marine, firewood around here is sold by the face cord and usually under 16" long. A couple guys are selling 3 face at 13-14" and calling it a full cord. Facebook prices delivered under 15-20 miles are $70 to 90 for the face. So that's around $210 - $270 a full cord delivered. I sell a trailer load of ash that is a little over a full cord of 15 1/2" splits for $300 delivered. It's nice clean wood, no junk, same length and dry. I don't really sell a lot though, people seem to like getting burnt over and over. I go to lots of auction sales and there is usually firewood up for bids. It usually goes for peanuts but it's almost always crap wood too though so that's what it's worth. The Amish sales have some decent wood but it's every length under the sun from 8" to 22". My buddy has sold more wood in the last 3 weeks then he sold all fall. Most people had some left over from last year and thought they could sneak by, then we got that cold snap and the wood was going up the chimney quick. I have 6 or so full cords ready to go but no bites yet. It'll keep and I'll sell some for campfire wood this summer.

Marine, firewood around here is sold by the face cord and usually under 16" long. A couple guys are selling 3 face at 13-14" and calling it a full cord. Facebook prices delivered under 15-20 miles are $70 to 90 for the face. So that's around $210 - $270 a full cord delivered. I sell a trailer load of ash that is a little over a full cord of 15 1/2" splits for $300 delivered. It's nice clean wood, no junk, same length and dry. I don't really sell a lot though, people seem to like getting burnt over and over. I go to lots of auction sales and there is usually firewood up for bids. It usually goes for peanuts but it's almost always crap wood too though so that's what it's worth. The Amish sales have some decent wood but it's every length under the sun from 8" to 22". My buddy has sold more wood in the last 3 weeks then he sold all fall. Most people had some left over from last year and thought they could sneak by, then we got that cold snap and the wood was going up the chimney quick. I have 6 or so full cords ready to go but no bites yet. It'll keep and I'll sell some for campfire wood this summer.
Wow, what a difference in prices. Here it's like gold at $300-$350 and always sold in full cord amounts, some are selling pick-up truck loads (which is a a half cord).
I have a half cord utility trailer that I load if picking up.
I still have my local guy that sells me Cherry and some Maple in log form, but I have to go there and cut and load it.
I do get it for $90-$100 a cord.

Red oak, bir oak, sugar maple is going for about $100-110 a cord delivered in log lengths if you are a 1 time buyer. Was talking to a guy at the truck stop yesterday with a 14 cord load on and it was mixed. Some bigger ones in it but mostly processor size wood. If you commit to 50 or more cords they were going for $90 or so a cord. All this wood was coming from about 30 miles north west of St. Cloud. All the quality stuff was heading to the mills.

Always see adds like this here and they don't stay up long so it must be selling.Screenshot_2018-02-05-12-52-51.png

Pulp/pallet grade logs around here go for $100/cord trucked in unless you get above 50cords and then they drop it down.

I found a guy that processes it into my dump “all hardwood and 90% oak” for $100/cord. Don’t know how he gets it in 8’ lengths to do it for that price and I don’t really care.

Latest posts

Back