Firewood business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Blunt

All i can say is its a small world, i seen the business you were looking at, and hummed and haa'd about it for weeks. My partner was the same as yours due to spending $30k which is what i was thinking to offer.I already have an arboricultural business but i am going to get into firewood for the quiet season, and alot of the major companies here in Auckland do this to supplement the wages in the winter. Dont know if you have seen the other business with the guaranteed supply which is quite cheap, but i think that would be an easy money earner due to them already having cut into firewood size ready for the burning.I am also where you are from, which is why i say its a small world.I would have to say there are alot of side liners but no real major wood merchants so go hard and all the best.

if you are bound and determined to do this... no way I would give $35k for $30k worth of equipment.

I'd purchase through auctions, ads, etc to assemble equipment.
this is assuming $30k new cost is known. you should be able to put an operation together for much less.

this is unless you think customer base is worth the premium.

not too many full time firewood folks around here. simply not enough return for labor expended ($55-75 rick delivered). several tree companies handle firewood on a break even basis. mainly to keep employees busy during winter months.

note our winters are not as extreme as up north. Tulsa is located geographic center of USA

The business has a 3 tonne truck for deliveries etc, a fork lift, commercial splitter, large chainsaw and also equipment for building trellises and outdoor timber furniture. I'm estimating around $30k worth of equipment. The site for the business is very handily located to 2 large saw mills and this is where there wood is currently sourced. A 3 tonne truck with approx 5m3 of dry weathered pine sells for between 350-500 depending on season and demand.

The business would be a sideline because I have earning potential as a musician ... I'm just considering combining the 2 jobs.

Thanks a lot for the comments so far.

All i can say is its a small world, .

Small world indeed mate. I mean, I never thought there'd even be a forum for firewood ... albiet such an active one.

I saw the one with the pre-cut wood and that looked like a better deal as you said ... just wondered if the appeal for mill slab is as big as split rounds.

I know if we have a winter like the one 3 or 4 years ago ... when it rained 2 out of 3 days demand for clean dry wood was huge.

I'm hanging onto my IT job for a few more years and will build up the firewood business on the side.

I enjoy hauling firewood with the family each summer. But if it were my job, I'd probably not like it, especially when I have to go higher up the mountain each year to find good wood sources.

Consider the cost of fuel to run your business. This one single expense among all the others will continue to erode profit margins

Looks like I am going to be doing some wood processing over the winter months this year, I get laid off from my grounds maintenance job in two weeks and I will need something to keep busy while I am on unemployment. I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of wood, so I may as well make the best of it.

Looks like I am going to be doing some wood processing over the winter months this year, I get laid off from my grounds maintenance job in two weeks and I will need something to keep busy while I am on unemployment. I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of wood, so I may as well make the best of it.

that's pretty cool you are going to be selling firewood rather then collecting unemployment.

there are too many bums in the world who collect unemployment that are too lazy to find a job.

good for you!!!

that's pretty cool you are going to be selling firewood rather then collecting unemployment.

there are too many bums in the world who collect unemployment that are too lazy to find a job.

good for you!!!

I agree to a point but you pay into unemployment. You have to of had a job and not got fired because of being a screw up to collect. And unemployment runs out. Also you have to make 3 job contacts a week to get it. Unemployment isn't welfare. At least it's like that here in Missouri.

Scott

If you'll look, he said he was going to cut firewood while he was on unemployment, but that's ok by me. Like STLfirewood said, he paid into it.
Just make sure unemployment doesn't find out you did it, they're just looking for a reason to cut you off, even though your employer paid for it as an insurance.

Andy

Back