Firewood co-op?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody part of a firewood co-op type arrangement? I’ve heard of a such a thing but had very little luck finding any. I’m in MN and would be interested in joining one bit I’ve only heard of them. Maybe I’m delusional and it isn’t a thing, but maybe not let me know if you’ve heard of such a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West metro off 494

What are you looking for in a firewood arrangement? I'm not too far from you (just across the border and a little South of 94), but definitely further than the 25 mile rule. I've known a couple groups of guys who all pitched in on a splitter and shared it as needed, but I don't think they got together to cut or anything.

I don’t know really...curiosity is really driving me to figure out if they exist. I’ve been part of what you speak in the past, hell my father, brother and I are in a situation like that. I provide technical expertise on removals and felling, they do most of the splitting. Downside is that they are in a town 3 hours away and I’d be interested in getting into something to get wood near the metro.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but what I'm always interested in is doing trade for labor. I go help out someone for an afternoon and then they come help me for an afternoon. I think it's a fun way to get some help and also help out a friend. In an ideal scenario, both people get to have some fun and learn some neat method or trick they hadn't seen before.

What you do mean by a co-op?

We have that here for the power company. Just means we get to vote on things and if there is a profit it's returned to the members. Although "returned" by a paper saying you have "xxx" in an account that doesn't really exist. Not sure if it ever gets paid out.

Everybody pitches in and everybody benefits, much different than electrical Co-op, which are the devil.

That’s what I do. We meet every Sunday for 5 or 6 hours cut split and rank. We usually leave two years before we pull from a pile. Everyone takes as they need.

That’s what I do. We meet every Sunday for 5 or 6 hours cut split and rank. We usually leave two years before we pull from a pile. Everyone takes as they need.

I knew they were out there but the only way to find them is to know somebody.

Yeah i started with my group around 16 years old. I have never seen anything from people looking to start them up.

I have a buddy I do it with. Everything we cut goes into his gravel pit and we cut and split than share from there. We usually work together on the cutting and splitting but there are times neither of us can be there at the same time. He knows where my equipment is and I know where his is for when it happens. I'm guessing we have 25-30 cord to process. With the building that has been going on and the storms there is wood everywhere it seems. We have two building sites we get to clean up and I have a red oak scrounge in Rogers that I am going to have to give up I think because I ain't going to have time to get it and it has to come out when the ground is froze so we don't tear up the lawn.

Honestly I don't know if either of us would be able to do what we do without each other. Sounds corny but he'll see stuff I don't and likewise. Easier ways to do things and ways to make sure it's safe.

I think your in a slightly tougher situation because you are in the metro and I'm out a bit. There is a ton more property to cut out here. One thing you can always check is that many of the county parks will allow you to get permits to cut down or dead trees. It's usually 10-20 per cord.

I do this with 2 other guys but somedays they are both idiots and do more harm than good. Their names are me, myself and I. They always show up at the same time but that doesn't mean we are all on the same page. I always says he's the only one that does anything and myself says he's too good to stack wood and will only run the saws. Even thought there is 3 of us it's always me that ends up doing all the work. ( ps, partnerships never work)

I do this with 2 other guys but somedays they are both idiots and do more harm than good. Their names are me, myself and I. They always show up at the same time but that doesn't mean we are all on the same page. I always says he's the only one that does anything and myself says he's too good to stack wood and will only run the saws. Even thought there is 3 of us it's always me that ends up doing all the work. ( ps, partnerships never work)
That reminds me of the time I went Dove hunting and didn't tell any one. I was about 12 and had been Dove hunting for a couple years so I didn't think anything of it, as long as I was home by dinner. When I got home my Mom grabbed me by the collar and shook me good, and said, "Don't you know we had the FBI out looking for you?". I gulped and said "The FBI?" She said, "Yes, Father, Brother, and I!" :)

Not saying don't but,

Tried this type of arrangement with a couple friends and relatives many years ago, as I'm always looking for help.

I had the wood delivered to my processing area as I had the connections to get it at a better price. This was mistake one, as only one person reimbursed me for their share of the wood. I found there's no way to deposit promises to pay in the bank. Couple of them would come in the landing and grab a load when no one else was there. You guessed it, same ones that never paid for their share of the treelength. A change of lock on the gate at the entrance fixed that.

Second issue was getting "the co-op" to arrive on time, or show up at all. Those that arrived wanted to play chainsaw, splitting and loading were not on their list of things to help with. Amazing how much work they could watch while talking on the phone. Leaving early another biggie. Once their truck was loaded they suddenly remembered somewhere else they needed to be.

I'm not saying this type of arrangement won't work, more power to you and your group if you can make it a success. In my case it was a one and done learning experience.

Take Care

those used to be called families and neighborhoods and friends. There were good things about times when people were forced to work together. and it sure a lot more interesting to work with someone else and and establish more of a connection spending time working together or fishing or hunting or whatever it is people do together

I’m in a share of four neighbors with a splitter and its very informal. when one person found wood ,one or two of the others who happen to be available and whoever was there working that time got equal shares of the wood. if you missed a few sessions and didn’t have any wood it was an incentive to show up and work.

this was a city situation where each of us really only needed two or 3 cords per year though

I miss it

pm sent also

Latest posts

Back