Firewood Crew for the day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's a few shots of our firewood crew for today. Not shown are our regulars which we couldn't do anything without. We were cutting wood on the edge of our 2010 tornato's path. Ron

Loading Crew at the beginning the day. (no shots at the end of the day but tails were dragging):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Unloading Crew - last load:

attachment.php

View attachment 284922View attachment 284923View attachment 284929

Looks like you had some good help, good weather, good transportation and great scenery.

Chuck

Nice, are they volunteers from a church group or other organization? I hope someone fed them.

The Loading crew is high school group out of Florida. They come spend a week every year here. We get them for one day - their leader loves to saw so I fix him up. He's the one in the orange chaps. The Unloading crew are local inmates ("trustees"). The truck drivers are from local churches. A local church feeds breakfast and lunch. The regulars (not shown) are members of our local firewood ministry that operates September - April. Ron

You couldn't have asked for better weather than today. Looks like they did a lot of work today. :msp_thumbup:

Haul time was too long for the number of trucks we had, but not too bad of a talley for 6 hours of work: Dump truck - 3 trips, large dump trailer - 3 trips, pickup and trailer - 3 trips, deuce - 2 trips. More than that still on the ground. Most everything 24" and under, no real big stuff. Ron

Real nice! Looks to have been a productive day! How much of a cord can you put in that army trailer behind the CUCV? I have a couple junker trailers to try and fix, but they look almost too heavy for a pickup, I dont know the model designation of them. They must be for the deuces I guess, they sit real high. I tried a tentative lift one day on the tongue..no way, couldnt budge it, heavy suckers.

You have quite the help there! The work of one man takes a lot but with the help of many you accomplish wonders.

Real nice! Looks to have been a productive day! How much of a cord can you put in that army trailer behind the CUCV? I have a couple junker trailers to try and fix, but they look almost too heavy for a pickup, I dont know the model designation of them. They must be for the deuces I guess, they sit real high. I tried a tentative lift one day on the tongue..no way, couldnt budge it, heavy suckers.

zogger, the specs follow. Mine is the A3 variant with the higher payload. I can move it around by hand as it it pretty well balanced when empty. Ron

M-101 Trailer, Cargo, 3/4 ton Specifications

Length, overall

147 inches

Length, cargo box

76 inches

Width, overall

73.5 inches

Width, cargo box

65.5 inches

Height

35 inches

Height w/cover

83 inches

Ground clearance

14 inches

Weight

1,340 lbs

Capacity

1,500 lbs (M101A3: 2,000 lbs)

Note: Dimensions are for the M101A2 variant.

I was going to mention those trailers are absolutely awesome, I have two myself. One early 101 and a later model with surge brakes and 8 lug wheels/tires. I do have to mention one thing though. The weight ratings are for off road use, they can handle a decent bit more when used on moderately flat logging roads/paved roads. The version I want is the aluminum sided version with the larger hmmwv wheels/tires. Just haven't bid on any yet. Yours is pristene, my older one is now 16 years old with enough firewood abuse to retire....ain't happening. The best money spent for a wood trailer in my opinion. What did you pay if I may ask?

Shea

I agree that they seem to be underated. I bought 4 of them for around $400 each from GL. They retail much higher and I sold all but the one pictured. I also agree that they are good firewood haulers, but the fiberglass rails really aren't up to wood chunking (you can replace them with wood like the old trailers had). The fold back gates are neat. Unfortunately, someone tweeked the tailgate with the Bobcat Saturday so it is now diffficult to latch. Most pickups would do better with the straight axle version (non-Humvee tires).

The new straight sided "Humvee" ones look pretty slick but I don't know if you can convert them to dump.

I had a M105A3 which is the latest deuce trailer with surge brakes and "street" tires and other upgrades. It was too massive for a pickup so I sold it.

Ron

zogger, the specs follow. Mine is the A3 variant with the higher payload. I can move it around by hand as it it pretty well balanced when empty. Ron

M-101 Trailer, Cargo, 3/4 ton Specifications

Length, overall

147 inches

Length, cargo box

76 inches

Width, overall

73.5 inches

Width, cargo box

65.5 inches

Height

35 inches

Height w/cover

83 inches

Ground clearance

14 inches

Weight

1,340 lbs

Capacity

1,500 lbs (M101A3: 2,000 lbs)

Note: Dimensions are for the M101A2 variant.

Mine must be the larger ones then, no way can I move one by hand, or pick up the tongue, etc. Or I am a wuss! HAHAHA They have some looks like a hydraulic line for brakes there to hookup as well. Theres a plate on one but it is too beat up to read it. Ill try to get some pics and maybe you guys can ID them. Ill go tape measure them. Perhaps easier to roll once they are up on the support wheel, mine are all rusted up. They were in the weeds with trees grown around them, boss gave them to me.

Mine must be the larger ones then, no way can I move one by hand, or pick up the tongue, etc. Or I am a wuss! HAHAHA They have some looks like a hydraulic line for brakes there to hookup as well. Theres a plate on one but it is too beat up to read it. Ill try to get some pics and maybe you guys can ID them. Ill go tape measure them. Perhaps easier to roll once they are up on the support wheel, mine are all rusted up. They were in the weeds with trees grown around them, boss gave them to me.

You likely have some older M105s. The brakes are air over hydraulic which operate off the air system of the deuce. Like the smaller trailers they have manual parking brakes as well, which could be making it harder to pivot the trailer. I doubt I could lift the tongue of one - brakes or no brakes. Specs are below. Ron

Characteristics of the Trailer, Cargo, 1 1/2 Ton, Two Wheel, M105

Net weight
2,650 lbs

Max gross wt
7,150 lbs

Total length
165.5 in

Cargo body length
110 in

Total width
83 in

Cargo body width
74 in

Cargo deck height above ground
37 in

Cargo load height under bows
60 in

Cargo load height to top of side racks
45 in

Cargo load height to top of side panels
18 in

OK, went back over took some crappy pics and got some measurements, to maybe ID these trailers.

Cargo box dimensions (both trailers look the same, neither has readable tags)

L 112 inches, W 78 inches, metal sides H 18 inches Tires/wheels, six lug wheel, size 9.00 x 20 10 ply center to center on lug nuts is 8 3/4 inch

Over all trailer length is around 12 feet and some change, 150 or so inches

Lunette ring, 6 inch OD 3 inch ID

Looks to be dual hand brakes, etc. Big fold down steel nose wheel thing on them.

And I tried again, gave it 90% max lift, just this side of hurting back, no way jose on getting the tongue off the ground, let alone roll the thing around...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back