Firewood Crew for the day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You likely have some older M105s. The brakes are air over hydraulic which operate off the air system of the deuce. Like the smaller trailers they have manual parking brakes as well, which could be making it harder to pivot the trailer. I doubt I could lift the tongue of one - brakes or no brakes. Specs are below. Ron

Characteristics of the Trailer, Cargo, 1 1/2 Ton, Two Wheel, M105

Net weight
2,650 lbs

Max gross wt
7,150 lbs

Total length
165.5 in

Cargo body length
110 in

Total width
83 in

Cargo body width
74 in

Cargo deck height above ground
37 in

Cargo load height under bows
60 in

Cargo load height to top of side racks
45 in

Cargo load height to top of side panels
18 in

That must be it, lot closer on specs. I am thinking someone whould have to be moose gorilla strong to move one around easy.

Not practical on a pickup I guess.

Oh well, have to buy a deuce..heheh

Oh rats, already been shopping, I think I missed cheap deals on army trucks....

Tractor should roll one of those trailers I guess, with a good hitch. Which I dont have, a pintle, but maybe could scrounge. Not on any big hills though, not without working brakes..

The wheel is a dead give away, I don't remember any of the 101s with anything other than a pivoting leg. I pull mine behind my tractor or truck and it is the cat's meow. The older 101s with no brakes(other than hand brakes) are the easiest to move due to light tongue weight, but with the old split rims and oddball tires(I have two extra) I would still rather have the standard wheels/tires and surge brakes. I sold one of the last two I bought and that just about covered both trailers. I have tried to convince my wife that a 5-ton wrecker would increase firewood procurement immensely......didn't work. A 25,000lb winch on front, 40,000lb(drag weight rated) winch on back, and swinging/extendable boom with a high weight rating would make it all a snap. I guess the tractor will have to do........for now:msp_rolleyes: Zogger, if you ever need help finding one(trailer, that is) let me know, I am more than willing to help you procure one.

Shea

PS--Sorry about derailing the thread Ron, it is a great ministry to help others with firewood for heat. Maybe you get the word out early and get some more help from some of us addicts.:rock:

PSS-Also, none of mine have the fiberglass, all of them are wood rails. I remember reading my manuals and if my memory serves me correctly on road weight rating is 2,250lbs. No promises. I have hauled 3,000lbs of gravel a short distance without being on the bumpstops. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Last edited:
The wheel is a dead give away, I don't remember any of the 101s with anything other than a pivoting leg. I pull mine behind my tractor or truck and it is the cat's meow. The older 101s with no brakes(other than hand brakes) are the easiest to move due to light tongue weight, but with the old split rims and oddball tires(I have two extra) I would still rather have the standard wheels/tires and surge brakes. I sold one of the last two I bought and that just about covered both trailers. I have tried to convince my wife that a 5-ton wrecker would increase firewood procurement immensely......didn't work. A 25,000lb winch on front, 40,000lb(drag weight rated) winch on back, and swinging/extendable boom with a high weight rating would make it all a snap. I guess the tractor will have to do........for now:msp_rolleyes: Zogger, if you ever need help finding one(trailer, that is) let me know, I am more than willing to help you procure one.

Shea

PS--Sorry about derailing the thread Ron, it is a great ministry to help others with firewood for heat. Maybe you get the word out early and get some more help from some of us addicts.:rock:

PSS-Also, none of mine have the fiberglass, all of them are wood rails. I remember reading my manuals and if my memory serves me correctly on road weight rating is 2,250lbs. No promises. I have hauled 3,000lbs of gravel a short distance without being on the bumpstops. I wouldn't recommend it though.

5 ton wrecker with dual winches and a boom...every boy needs one!!!

On your tractor, you use a drawbar across the lower hitches with a pintle? Or how?

I had two thoughts today on those 105s..see if anyone wanted to swap one for a smaller regular utility trailer

OR....bolt and weld them two bad boys together and make an awesome dual axle trailer....

thats mostly beyond my metal working paygrade though...

morewood, I "accidentially" bought one of those 45K winches a few years back. I didn't have my reading glasses on at the time and thought I was bidding on a 5 ton front winch. The boys on another forum had a good laugh when I posted the picture below to ask what it was. I don't remember if the cable was 3/4" or 1" but the biggest drawback for my application besides weight was it has no freewheeling clutch - only power in and power out. I left it at the militrary base and traded it for shipping on some other surplus stuff. I have a 3 point hitch/ skid mount 5 ton truck winch project that has been sitting for two years now. I lost my steam on it when I was put on a 20# restriction for 6 months. One day I'll get back to it. Ron

45K drag winch

attachment.php

Project winch

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 285704View attachment 285705View attachment 285706

Latest posts

Back