Firewood cutting regulations.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakew88

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So my gf and I got a house with a fireplace, need to get some firewood. So I'm gonna go get a firewood permit locally, then it looks like they give you a map to where you can get wood at.

Question is what can I take? Like already downed stuff? I'm sure a lot of this I will be told when I go get the permit.

Just dont wanna go in there without like any knowledge of what I'm doing. I'm in the NorCal area shasta/trinity parks.

Just curious to what most people do for firewood, like I know my grandma has a few acres and justs uses the trees on her property for burning.

Not looking for mass quantities. Just like 4 or 5 cords a year MAYBE.

Collection-wise, go with whatever Cali says you can get. We get all of ours free. Dead standing, blow-downs, property clearing mostly.

I read I have to pay 5 bucks per cord. Get fuel wood tags, map and permit. You can get up to 12 cords per year. Called the automated phone line. Gonna go in there tomorrow.

Cutting Permit

Sounds really great to me. A place to cut firewood yourself and it only costs you $5.00 a cord to do it.

Have a good cutting time.
Nosmo

You are joking, right? People call me to take away wood already cut in 4' to 6' lengths. I pay nothing, load up the truck, and I'm gone.

No questions asked. :popcorn:

Not all of us are so spoiled. Except mac88 he is more spoiled. Lucky b@sterd.

Not joking. Got the tags today, got maps. Certain areas you can take deadfall, others you can take dead standing, some areas you can take from 100 feet off the road and in others you can just go as far as your willing.

Paid 20 bucks for 4 cord tags. Now I just gotta find somewhere on this map where hopefully not everyone has gone through and got all the good stuff already.

Not joking. Got the tags today, got maps. Certain areas you can take deadfall, others you can take dead standing, some areas you can take from 100 feet off the road and in others you can just go as far as your willing.

Paid 20 bucks for 4 cord tags. Now I just gotta find somewhere on this map where hopefully not everyone has gone through and got all the good stuff already.

How far are you from French Gulch?

so, how did you plan on getting these 4 cords of wood out of the woods and back home?

How far are you from French Gulch?

That's exactly the area I planned on going. My mom has a cabin south of trinity center and I live in redding

And that's California for ya. Just minding my p's and q's.

And I planned on hauling it out in my pickup 1/2 cord at a time if I have to.

No joking!!! My experience is the same on USFS and BLM land in Idaho, Wyoming and Utah. They give you a map and a little booklet of tags, the tags are similar to the tags for deer and elk hunting. There are also a list of requirements as long as your arm, what you can cut ,what equipment you are required to have, fire extinguisher, shovel,water,axe and the distance you can get off of a road with equipment. I use a 100' cable choker alot. Last year I was even checked by a Idaho Fish & Game who " let me off " for just having my tag cut, not completely notched and removed. Life's tough in the west.

That's exactly the area I planned on going. My mom has a cabin south of trinity center and I live in redding

And that's California for ya. Just minding my p's and q's.

And I planned on hauling it out in my pickup 1/2 cord at a time if I have to.

I don't know where your permits are good for but you might try the area above French Gulch toward Papoose. Go on up through the gulch to where you can catch the road that goes down to Papoose Arm and comes out just above Lewiston Dam.

If you can find any burned areas sometimes there will be dead down or standing without a lot of damage to it. There's quite a bit of private ground up in that area, too, so pay real close attention to your maps.

I'm sure you already know this but don't vary from the permit requirements, especially of marking the wood you're hauling out. Some of the requirements are ridiculous but they'll bust you big time for not following all of them. The FS LEOs are not noted for having any sense of humor.

Last edited:
I don't know where your permits are good for but you might try the area above French Gulch toward Papoose. Go on up through the gulch to where you can catch the road that goes down to Papoose Arm and comes out just above Lewiston Dam.

If you can find any burned areas sometimes there will be dead down or standing without a lot of damage to it. There's quite a bit of private ground up in that area, too, so pay real close attention to your maps.

I'm sure you already know this but don't vary from the permit requirements, especially of marking the wood you're hauling out. Some of the requirements are ridiculous but they'll bust you big time for not following all of them. The FS LEOs are not noted for having any sense of humor.

That's awesome man I really really appreciate it. Yes, I plan on doing everything I possibly can not to do anything illegal. The permit gal was pretty adamant the rules and all the legal documents. The maps are pretty detailed and I have a handheld gps.

Didn't think of all the burned areas around here that's a good idea.

Appreciate your help everyone, new to this forum (and this type of stuff in general obviously) and I'm addicted already. Good info and good people.

Wow...it's another world out there!

Yeah its getting bad. I sell house paints for a living and they just introduced a new "paint recycling fee" like 75 cents a gallon. So every gallon of paint i sell has a 75 cent additional tax.

Try explaining that to people.

No joking!!! My experience is the same on USFS and BLM land in Idaho, Wyoming and Utah. They give you a map and a little booklet of tags, the tags are similar to the tags for deer and elk hunting. There are also a list of requirements as long as your arm, what you can cut ,what equipment you are required to have, fire extinguisher, shovel,water,axe and the distance you can get off of a road with equipment. I use a 100' cable choker alot. Last year I was even checked by a Idaho Fish & Game who " let me off " for just having my tag cut, not completely notched and removed. Life's tough in the west.

I feel for you guys. I have question. Whose land is it in the first place?

I feel for you guys. I have question. Whose land is it in the first place?

It's national park land? I don't really know. I just wanna go play with my damn saws and bring some firewood home. Lot of red tape but, #### it, ill have at least something to show if forest service rolls up.

It's national park land? I don't really know. I just wanna go play with my damn saws and bring some firewood home. Lot of red tape but, #### it, ill have at least something to show if forest service rolls up.

Understood, Friend. Wish I could help. We all be in a compromising position before long. Maybe that five bucks help Barbie Boxer preserve a Gila Monster habitat.

Latest posts

Back