Firewood Dump Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchipper95

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Id like to get a dump trailer. I have been selling firewood with a buddy and I want a dump, 10k would be nice so I can put about 7k in the trailer. What brands are good, what brands are bad. Any help is great! Thanks!

I have a 14', 14K Load/Trail that I am very pleased with. I like the scissor lift. Very well constructed trailer.

I built a 6x10 dump. If the wood is stacked 2ft high, with a little throwed on top, it will equal a full cord. I like to back the trailer until its set just under the wedge on my splitter. That way when I split, the wood fills the trailer. I still have to get in the trailer and stack the wood a couple of times per load if I am working by myself. At least i aint picking it up off the ground. With a helper, he stacks as its split. 30min and the trailer is loaded and ready to go.

I had a 12' 10k load trail, it towed great but I hated how it dumped. It had tons of power to dump but it was a low trailer, bed between tires so the piles got dragged out. I sold it to buy a dump truck. Since then I have picked up a 10' 10k bri-mar low end dump trailer. Its a deck over style so the bed is over the tires. It tows pretty crappy but it dumps a pile as nice as my Kodiak.

I also have load trail 14 k. Needs a paint
Jon right now but has been good to me over the years. I'm guessing it has dumped well over 2000 loads. Just loaded up 1.5 cords this morning !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 154
Have any of you built up your sides? If so how high? Can you get two cords of thrown wood in it?

Have any of you built up your sides? If so how high? Can you get two cords of thrown wood in it?

Watch your weights. I think you'll need a 14K trailer to make that happen...2 cords of green hardwood and in some species 2 cords of seasoned hardwood will have you over the 7,000# payload of a 10K trailer. Probably get away with it around town, but depending how close the manufacturer sized components you might see some more wear and tear.

For firewood deliveries I would go with an over the tire bed, it will sit higher and dump the wood more into a pile. Mine is a low profile and I have to spread the wood out when I dump it.
Mine is homemade.

Watch your weights. I think you'll need a 14K trailer to make that happen...2 cords of green hardwood and in some species 2 cords of seasoned hardwood will have you over the 7,000# payload of a 10K trailer. Probably get away with it around town, but depending how close the manufacturer sized components you might see some more wear and tear.
last year, we weighed 1 cord of green hickory and it was over 6000lbs and a cord of newly blocked of hard maple was 5335lbs. x 2 for two cord

every trailer guy Ive talked to has said ram in the middle at the front. A granite counter top outfit cant dump excess rock out with scissors. He has to load everything to the back.
So 1 ram in the center is better then 2 rams?

Screenshot 2014-04-12 18.37.59.png IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0194.jpg

All the big quad axle dump trucks you see going down the road operate like the picture. That would be my first choice, scissors second, 2 rams third. That first trailer is a 6x12 all aluminum dump that retails for $9,100.

I can throw two cords on my 14k load trail but it puts me over 14k. Trailer weight dry is 4400 with built up sides. Two cords usually weighs more than 9500, sometimes way more!

I have 6x 12 with 2 rams, 6 ton, low boy. I like the lower height for loading my skidder. I have at times made greedy boards, but they're a pain in the ass, espescialy if the skidder is loaded in it, entry from the back only, gotta squeeze in. I have stake pocket so greedy boards are easy to build and set aside too.

I dont like scissors so much. I like two rams seems more stable, Wet topsoli lokes to stick in mine, but I dont haul hardly any solis. I do occasionally haul landscape debris, in which case i might use plywood for greedy boards and set them as I load/pack.

I own a Pronovost P5103 and just flat love it. Dumps off back or either side. We dump a lot of wood off the sides. They are a very well thought out unit, when you unlatch the side and let it down it protects the tires (valve stems) and you just pull ahead a bit just like dumping off the rear. I wouldn't trade it for any rear only dump trailer. Pronovost is top of the line build quality, they are pricey I will warn you. Took me 10 years to find a used one.
P5103S4E_thumb.jpg

Back